TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

what to look for with a used TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for with a used TT

Hello all, I'm in the market for a used TT. I found a good deal (what i think is a good deal) on a 2001 Base Quattro Roadster with 56,000 miles. Siler, with a black roof, and grey leather insides. Price is $12,700. Pics on-line seem to make it look very clean. I still need to go see it and test drive it. What all do I need to look for to know if I should pull the trigger. Obvious stuff would be the condition of the top (how bad is it worn, and how smoothly does it operate), smoothness of the clutch (it's a 6-speed), and condition of tires, paint, and interior. I've had Audi's before, but they've all been new, with warranties. I've seen issues about timing belts and water pumps on here.......what's the word on all of that? My other option right now is a 2006 Pontiac Solstice. Same price with 66,000 miles. The Pontiac will be cheaper to maintain, and it is a much newer car. There's just something that I like about the quirkiness of the TT. Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Similar situation

Originally Posted by Jonesy10
Hello all, I'm in the market for a used TT. I found a good deal (what i think is a good deal) on a 2001 Base Quattro Roadster with 56,000 miles. Siler, with a black roof, and grey leather insides. Price is $12,700. Pics on-line seem to make it look very clean. I still need to go see it and test drive it. What all do I need to look for to know if I should pull the trigger. Obvious stuff would be the condition of the top (how bad is it worn, and how smoothly does it operate), smoothness of the clutch (it's a 6-speed), and condition of tires, paint, and interior. I've had Audi's before, but they've all been new, with warranties. I've seen issues about timing belts and water pumps on here.......what's the word on all of that? My other option right now is a 2006 Pontiac Solstice. Same price with 66,000 miles. The Pontiac will be cheaper to maintain, and it is a much newer car. There's just something that I like about the quirkiness of the TT. Thanks in advance for your inputs!

I just bought an 01 roadster with the 225 hp engine and Quattro. All service records and clean car fax. Also has the Bose premium stereo with 6 cd changer bi xenons and is in immaculate shape with 53500 miles. Also got brand new tonneau and car cover. Guy was asking 12500 and paid 11900. Take delivery Saturday.
I'm having following done before delivery. Spark plugs differential fluid brake fluid oil change pollen and air filters. I also plan to change the timing belt and water pump around 60k. Might be overkill but I plan to use as daily driver.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Make sure the timing belt has been done and they have records of it. If not be prepared for 1100 bucks at dealership to replace.
2. The glove box latches always break so if it is dont worry they all do. Mine was broken but fixed it.
3. The clusters are notorious for having issues and a replacement can be expensive. If the gas gauge, temp, time, mileage works, rpm, spead you should be good and if the center display is not perfect that is normal for the displays

hope this helps
Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DenimPearlTT
1. Make sure the timing belt has been done and they have records of it. If not be prepared for 1100 bucks at dealership to replace.
2. The glove box latches always break so if it is dont worry they all do. Mine was broken but fixed it.
3. The clusters are notorious for having issues and a replacement can be expensive. If the gas gauge, temp, time, mileage works, rpm, spead you should be good and if the center display is not perfect that is normal for the displays

hope this helps
Thanks denim. The gauges all work on mine and the red part of the center display is fine. The upper (amber) part that shows OK and other warnings is readable but the top 10-20 percent is dim. Will that continue to deteriorate over time?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Markbayer
Thanks denim. The gauges all work on mine and the red part of the center display is fine. The upper (amber) part that shows OK and other warnings is readable but the top 10-20 percent is dim. Will that continue to deteriorate over time?
Some of the cars I have seen have only stayed faded or dim and others line start to go on the display. Its know issue with TT displays. If you got a warranty with car dealership should take care of it and if no warranty look on ebay they have replacement center displays<-- requires pulling your cluster and removing old then putting new in.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh yeah and in regards to the Solstice the TT was the better choose. I also have a Trans am WS6 2000 and looked into the solstice when buying my TT . While the solstice was nice the TT I couldn't stop starring... hope you enjoy your new car
Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys/gals. I ended up getting the 06 Solstice. I called the dealer about the TT, and then drove an hour and a half to test drive it. When I got there, they said, "oh yeah, we sold that car the other day, I guess I just forgot". I think I would have been happy with either car to be honest. There's something about the Solstice that makes me smile though. I'm hoping that in the long run, it will be cheaper to maintain as well since there's no turbo, no Quattro, and no German electrical system. The Solstice has it's handful of known issues too; it's by no means a perfect car. But anyways....wanted to say thanks again. Here's a pic of the new wheels:

Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice Ride Man... Hope you enjoy the car. I always liked the style of that car. When buying parts look for websites online since Pontiac is out of business. Have to do the same with my Trans Am WS6

Picture of My Trans Am WS6 - Jet Black

Picture of My Denim Blue Pearl TT: