TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT stuck in gravel...how is Quattro supposed to work again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: So the rears don't spin even when trying to go forward?

nope, they do not spin one centimeter. My baby is definitely going in for a look-over, once I can get her unstuck.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your wifes truck has more gound clearance, so that's one thing that helped help.

Your TT frame was like a snow plow
Old 12-27-2002, 06:41 AM

Default The system may cycle back/forth but it should not cut power to the wheels w/ ESP off.

Your saying that if the rears slip it gives up and reverts to FWD. If that were the case AWD would be totally useless. This is certianly not what happens when I power up my driveway. The fronts slip as well as the rear but both have power. The only difference is he is not in motion. A 4WD system especially with a low will be better to remove a stuck car but AWD should distribute power to all wheels in some form. If that wheel did not move at all I still stand by what I said that he has a problem.
I have had 3 AWD cars in the last 15 years in snowy New England and all distributed power to all wheels in some fashion.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:38 AM

Default Read BortierTT's link. It sums up my understanding

My father has a 4WD Blazer. My mother is on her fourth Scoobie (AWD) going back to the early 90's. I'm on my second AWD (TT and Volvo).

Of all the cars, onlythe Blazer has ever been stuck (father left warm tires parked in deep snow creating ice wells around ALL wheels). It was quite funny...would have been funnier if we weren't in the middle of Nowhere, Maine.

The link BortierTT posted is how I understand AWD.

And as I was saying about the neighbor's Jeep Cherokee, I stood next to the truck while she attempted to move it. I watched the AWD system try to figure things out. It wouldn't leave power on a wheel long enough to do any good. It kept sensing that a wheel was slipping and it would put power somewhere else. The truck never went anywhere. I put it in 4WD (not low even) and I drove it out no problem. When you are stuck in snow trying to get the car moving again, AWD is not going to do much good. Sure, it will help more than FWD or RWD, but it isn't as good as 4WD.

All I'm saying is that 4WD and AWD are different. People tend to lump the two together, but they aren't the same. I like AWD for driving. I like 4WD for getting out of a jam.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:45 AM

Default To extricate your car, you could try putting the tow hook in the front spot, and have your wife

pull you gently with her Sequoia. Though avoid having her try to jerk your car lose since I don't think the TT would take the hammering very well. Also I would avoid pulling it from the back, because I would worry that the underbelly pan below the engine may catch in the heavy snow and rip right off of the car.

It sounds to me like the snow has set like concrete, unlike some pictures on this Forum from earlier this week where TT'ers played in fresh powdery stuff. So your car got "high-centered", and most of its weight is resting on the belly of the car and not on the wheels from the sounds of it.

Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2002, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Info <---- don't 100% agree

In my ur-quattro, I can manually lock both center and rear differentials. I guess that person didn't think of the ur-q when coming up with their AWD vs 4WD argument!
Old 12-27-2002, 08:24 AM

Default Looks like someone put a quattro sticker on a FWD car.

I was plowing through 8" of snow covered road a few weeks ago with no problem. You didn't by chance have dealer "service" your Haldex coupling? Sounds like it's broken now. Service manual has procedure for checking torque transfer. You should be able to get at least 1 back wheel turning.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Like PorTTland said...>>

If you get the car sitting on top of the snow and the weight is no longer on the wheels or the wheels or no longer on the ground, it won't make a difference if you have AWD or 4WD. I have done this and seen it done with a number of off-road vehicles in snow and mud where the tires are actually sitting in the "air" and the frame is sitting on the ground. There is no good wheel contact anymore. At this point you either need to dig out or wait for a thaw or for things to dry up. The snow or mud will act like a suction cup to the bottom of the vehicle.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:37 AM

But there is a difference between awd with an open diff and awd with a lsd.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you have a 180 TTR? ;-)

j/k...I'd definitely have that checked out by the dealer.

-Eric

Quick Reply: TT stuck in gravel...how is Quattro supposed to work again?