TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Those of you with brake upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you with brake upgrades...

What brakes do you have and why did you choose them? And other than making sure they stop the car...duh...what are some important things I should look for when doing some research?

I'd like to do the front and rear if I can. My tax refund is helping!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stoptechs

For the money it's hard to find a better setup. They're well known, have excellent support, and the quality of the kit is outstanding. The install is cake with the instructions and parts they include, very complete.

Things to keep in mind are price (of course), weight and size(wheel clearance). All of the BBKs are going to have similar performance the biggest differences will come from the quality of the kit and also the size/weight.

If I had unlimited budget I might have considered Stasis or AP Racing but I'm very happy with the Stoptechs.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:16 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default AP Racing.....

I chose primarily as they were one of the only calipers/rotors to fit under my wheels with a minimum of spacing while adding the level of performance and fade resistance I wanted for agressive street use and occasional track days.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default take that tax refund and go to driving school - like Skip Barber @ Lime Rock

for their Intro to Racing 1 day program to better learn how to drive the car you already have (cornering-wise, etc) BEFORE you ratchet it up a notch and need to be able to slow down faster..... It's not a knock on your driving or anyone else's who hasn't done so either but you'll be a better driver on the track, on the roads and in emergency situations that the Stop Techs won't be able to pull you out if. Plus, your auto insurer might discount your rate therafter... just my thought!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good idea.......
Old 04-11-2006, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stasis Alcons 13" front and 12" rear

simply the best brakes i've ever had on a car
Old 04-11-2006, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stoptechs

Saw these on alot of S4's and other cars the first time at a big track event. Then found a slightly used set from someone selling their TT.

When I received the calipers, a bolt was missing. Stoptech then replaced both calipers with brand new.

Stoptech has excellent customer support. I have been running these brakes for nearly 60K miles.

Try calling Brembo, Stasis, and others and see if you get to talk to the folks making them, or just some sales guy. APR sells brakes, but they are really a chip company.

Big brakes maybe only stop you a little shorter, actually it is your tires that stop you and the brakes do deacceleration. But big brakes, good pads, combined with high temp Motul 600 fluid will allow you to stop over and over and over without fade and save this priceless car you are driving.

I am actually on my second set of rotors. Love them.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

what he said ^^^^
Old 04-11-2006, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default StopTech. Find something that is actually engineered for the car vs. the "bling" only factor of ...

bigger is better. StopTech customer service is outstanding too. Just my opinion Bryan.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brembo BABY - A ton of race cars use Brembo for a reason - lol

Mostly becasue they are the BEST - good luck!

Quick Reply: Those of you with brake upgrades...