TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Squashed Beetle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-1999, 11:59 AM
Jorg A. Willekens

Default Squashed Beetle?

Hi, next year I want to buy me a new car...and if I can bring up the money, I'll buy a TT. But for
some reason my whole environnement is against that (except my dad). My sister hates it because she goes hiking a lot and she needs a lot trunk space (I own an Audi 80 now), as far as I know the TT has a lot of trunk space but I'm not sure.
My mom thinks that a sports car doesn't go with me *and* she thinks it looks like a SQUASHED NEW BEETLE! I don't take that, but....she has a bit right...the round curves invoke the New Beetle a bit indeed...Is there anyone who knows a good argument against such a critisism?
Old 12-05-1999, 12:08 PM
Rick (Virginia)

Default I dont recall ever not buying a car because my mom didnt like it.

You should take a look at a TT in person, and you'll realize that it only has a vague similarity to a Beetle. To be honest, though, alot of the innards of the two cars are similar (as are Golf, Beetle, A4, and TT).
The TT has a very large trunk, and quite a huge cargo space if the seats are folded down. (14 cubic feet, and 22 cubic feet, I think).
I guess if you dont like curves, there's always Volvo.
I dont think you would be disappointed with a TT though.
Rick
Old 12-05-1999, 01:01 PM
Andy W

Yes, it is even more of a reason to buy one.... God forbid I ever buy a car my mother likes. (nt)
Old 12-05-1999, 01:15 PM
Cristopher

Default Re: Squashed Beetle? - Buy it

Trust me. Drive one. You will HAVE to have one. This car is unbelievable.
Old 12-05-1999, 02:55 PM
Susie

Default Re: Squashed Beetle?

Well, it looks like the only arguments you are getting are from the guys. I too was skeptical - as a woman. I said exactly the same thing your mother said - it's a squashed bug!! My husband and a coworker went to test drive the TT, brought home the brochure, set up a TT screen saver, brought me to the TT website, pointed out articles in car magazines, etc. etc. etc. But I was not impressed..... until I went to the car lot and saw the "beautiful" thing waiting for me to drive it. Once inside I couldn't stop smiling. The coolest, most unique vehicle I had seen - ever!!! There is nothing like it. And to drive it is even more impressive (though I found myself going ALOT faster than Johnny law would have liked. It was great. To get your mom, sister, or any woman to agree to the TT - you must take them to the TT. FYI, we are buying one in 2000!!! TTFN "TATA for now!!"
Old 12-05-1999, 03:53 PM
FT

Default Re: Yes, it is even more of a reason to buy one.... God forbid I ever buy a car my mother likes. (nt

My mom's favorite car is the 993 cabriolet in red.Go figure.
Old 12-05-1999, 06:05 PM
cbobgo

More like a Beetle on steroids (nt)
Old 12-06-1999, 12:04 AM
Napalmboy

I figured. Your Mum is called Dave. (nt)
Old 12-06-1999, 08:15 AM
PaTT

Default Re: Squashed Beetle?

What I tell the people who say that - it's not a "squashed new beetle", it's the "new carmen ghia"
Old 12-06-1999, 12:12 PM
FireButt

Actually, his mom thinks his father is called "Dave," but isn't quite sure.... (nt)

Quick Reply: Squashed Beetle?