TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

RoadsterTop Open Symbol On Dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RoadsterTop Open Symbol On Dash

The instrument cluster is showing that my top is open (2001 TTQR) when it is not open. Of course this causes my windows to go down a couple of inches. The only way I can get the light to go off and the windows to go up is if I bang on the top latch. It has now begun doing it more frequently (often when I go over a bump). Anyone ever have this happen and if so what's the solution? BTW, I did a search of the forum but came up empty. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

with the top down, you'll notice two indentations on the top edge of the windshield on either side, driver & passenger. this is where the two hooks on the convertible top latch into when the top is up. in the driver's side indentation is a push-sensitive switch that is depressed by the hook. that switch tells the ecu that the top is up. with the top down, you can test it out by pushing it with a key or similar object. you can bend the switch upwards slightly and that should fix the problem.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiTTR225
with the top down, you'll notice two indentations on the top edge of the windshield on either side, driver & passenger. this is where the two hooks on the convertible top latch into when the top is up. in the driver's side indentation is a push-sensitive switch that is depressed by the hook. that switch tells the ecu that the top is up. with the top down, you can test it out by pushing it with a key or similar object. you can bend the switch upwards slightly and that should fix the problem.
Thanks very much, I'll give it a try.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same problem here. a couple layers of duct tape on the switch fixed it

Kinda of a redneck repair...but it works No one will ever see it
Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found the switch and I was able to activate it easily by pushing it left to right, not up and down. I tried bending it upward, but it wouldn't budge and I was a little nervous that it would break. I even applied a little pressure with a pliers, but to no avail.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Lexx
Kinda of a redneck repair...but it works No one will ever see it
I'll definitely give that a try tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KennyMTT
I found the switch and I was able to activate it easily by pushing it left to right, not up and down. I tried bending it upward, but it wouldn't budge and I was a little nervous that it would break. I even applied a little pressure with a pliers, but to no avail.
i guess i misspoke.... i meant bent it OUTward, to the left. sorry about the confusion.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i guess i misspoke.... i meant bent it OUTward, to the left. sorry about the confusion.
Thanks for the followup. Before I read your comment I applied a couple of small pieces of duct tape per Lexx's suggestion above and it worked perfectly. At least least I'll know what to do when the duct tape wears out.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just rolled up a small piece of paper and stuck in into the slot near the switch. it works great as long as it does not blow away when the top is dowm. I'll try the tape fix.