TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Restorative work, rebuilding and keeping TT long term?? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restorative work, rebuilding and keeping TT long term?? Anyone?

Unfortunately my TT is getting old and I dont want to get rid of it. It is still an awesome car and I still get alot of looks and comments. I still find myself going somewhere, locking the car and as I'm walking in to where I'm going, looking behind and staring at the car.. LOL..

Granted some of the work I've done to the car has already accomplished some of this for me however its been a good 2 years since I've had the finances to play with it. I still have many things I'd love to do to it however I'd like to hear what you guys think...

Is it a bad idea or is it something that would be worthwhile....that is the question.

I have a 2000 180TTQC with 108K on it now Still excellent condition with wear and tear you would expect with a car with those miles. And yes it is my daily driver. I've done a good number of modifications since I've had the car, but that doesnt increase value unfortunately...

I've thought of everything from high end paint job, new seats (sparco, ect), recarpeting, rebuilding engine or even just replacing it, more mods like bigger turbo and software, new clutch and lightwgt flywheel, ect.

I have toyed with the ideas of getting a used 911 turbo, lotus exige, but for money I would spend doing that I could do an enormous amount of work to the TT and make it classic..
Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

any opinions? Has anyone thought about doing this with there TT? My car is paid off in a month and I will have alot more money to play with and have been throwning around ideas. So I'm just curious as to whether doing this is a good idea or not...
Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by silverTTQC
any opinions? Has anyone thought about doing this with there TT? My car is paid off in a month and I will have alot more money to play with and have been throwning around ideas. So I'm just curious as to whether doing this is a good idea or not...
If you continue to put $$$ aside like you were making a car payment, you will have $$ for those bigger repairs that may flair up. The TT if you maintain it, and do preventative maintenance specifically will run for a long time. When you start reading about areas that are failing/trends and your car falls into that area, address it. Do not wait for it to fail.

Stepping into a Porsche is very expensive. While always a great thing, i would not want an older Turbo as a daily driver. A newer 997 sure, but not an older one...I have a 77 911, and it runs great, but would never expect it to be a DD...

On the Lotus...great toy...not very practical as a day to day car....

It is always nice to have a car that is paid for that you know...take the time to learn how to do your own maintenance and it is even more rewarding..

Just my two cents
Old 07-11-2009, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Realize there is a big difference between a true classic and a modified car. Typically a classic is going tto be a very nice all original or restored to original condition car a modified car is just that, nothing wrong with either option it's your car. I have a MG Midget in my garage that at one point was my daily driver for several years. Now it sits under a cover awaiting some time from me to finish out the restoration. It's not a true classic since the engine is modified even though it's period correct modifications but I also don't really car it's my car and I like it the way it is. There is really no way I would use it as a DD anymore though. It's just not what I'd want to drive and really if it got damaged on my commute I'd be pretty sad.

My TT has a few more miles than yours and it is my DD. I really like it and have no intention of going nuts with modifications because I like to have a rock solid reliable DD (something I learned from my MG DD days LOL!). My TT is currently getting a new VR6 clutch, pp & single mass flywheel installed since the stocker was toast. While there both CV axles are getting replaced since one boot is cracked and the others show wear. After that a little love shown to the leather seats, a Panzer plate and then I'll just continue to maintain it and replace parts as needed possibly with slightly upgraded pieces if it makes it more reliable. Maybe an iPod adaptor to make the commute more enjoyable but that's really about the extent of my planned mods.

My previous DD was a Miata and again it was maintained and driven and had it's share of road wear but that was the nice thing I didn't have to worry about it if it got a ding or chip. Sadly my TT is significantly nicer so when it does get it's first ding I may cry.

In the end it really doesn't mattter what anybody else thinks about your plans which is why you might not have gotten many responses.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Totally agree here. My parent's neighbor has a late 80s 911. He loves the car but swears that something breaks on it every time he drives it now. I totally agree that getting a Porsche is great experience (I look forward to it some day) but I know from loads of past comments that older models that are driven even casually are prone to needing expensive repairs.

As for your original question, I'll give you my two cents on stock TTs (cars) versus modded since I recently sold my 2001 roadster with moderate modifications. While I loved the car as it was when I sold it, as time went on and I did more and more to it, I got the feeling that I would rather have it back to stock as a long term keeper (my original plans were to keep it forever, but 2 kids brought me back to reality). As I look around at all the older/classic Porsches, Ferraris, Lotuses, etc. driving around Atlanta, it made me realize that I have a lot of respect for owners that keep their cars in that condition for the long term. There's just something about driving a clean, (nearly) original classic/older car that became more and more appealing to me.

This was just my feeling though, and I agree with a lot of others here that it's just personal preference. In the end, unless you plan on keeping the car as some kind of 30-40 year off investment, do whatever you want with it.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I understand how you feel. My wife ended up buying a silver 2000 tt quattro coupe and since then i have fallen in love with it. I have already told her that when she gets another car, i am taking over the TT. I have been torn with the same question as you. Should i keep it original and dependable, or should i start modifying it? I would like to upgrade to the larger turbo, but will that really make it unreliable and no longer a daily driver? I dont know. I do feel that, if a modification isnt going to make the car more likely to break down and does make it more enjoyable to drive, then it is worthwhile. Of course this is only my opinion, but that is the way i feel. I have also thought about getting another type of exotic sports car, but really, i think i like the look of the audi tt as much if not more than the exotic cars. It just has a great look, stance and feel. I am a big guy and the tt actually seems to have more room and is more comfortable than most sports cars to me. BTW, we have 137K miles on ours and have had almost no problems out of it. It is in the shop right now with the only thing that has broken on it, i think it is the ignition switch, but other than preventative maintenance, it has been on the road and not in the shop. Anyways, thats what i think. Mike
Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I too have a 2000 TT but a 180 front wheel drive coupe. She has recently turned over the 100,000 mile mark with no major problems. She's unmodified and looks as new as the day I bought her nine years ago. But time has added some burb rash on the wheels and some rock chips on the front bumper. I plan on keeping her a very long time, and my thought is to keep her as stock as I possibly can while only upgrading the parts that would improve reliabilty as they wear out such as a beefier clutch, improved rotors and pads, etc. When the turbo needs replacement, she'll get another, when the seats crack, they'll get re-covered.... Maybe a larger downpipe with a new muffler or a larger intercooler will be a consideration, that's still to be determined.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2002 180 Quattro 5-speed and it was the last year you could get that configuration in a standard. My extended warranty is almost up at 100K, I won't be able to fix anything major that happens, but I want to keep the car for a good 25-30 years and sell it as a classic, (that's the plan so far) It is completely stock and still looks as good as it did new. I figure if I keep it as the only owner it should be worth something...
Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great question...

Last year I bought a TTQR 180 as a daily driver after trying my 1st choice - a new A4 Avant. The TT will be a keeper. I toyed with the idea of mods however after fitting lowering springs - which made the handling great in the dry but aweful in the wet, I have since put the car back to original springs and left it as that.

It is a great little car as a DD - I commute 200 miles each day (spend over 5hrs in the car each day) and though it had a few faults immediately after purchase, it has been solid and reliable since.

I will not spend any money to mod a fine DD as the TT - just not worth it. What I have began doing though is replace worn parts to ensure it is as original as possible and keeps going for another 100k miles.

The one irresistable mod I made is the Hi-Fi. Kitted out with JL amp & spkrs with Alpine headunit.

I will remove these when I come to sell the car - I plan to always own a MK1 TT. They are just fab...a modern day MG.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Keeping it

Originally Posted by TTinCT
If you continue to put $$$ aside like you were making a car payment, you will have $$ for those bigger repairs that may flair up. The TT if you maintain it, and do preventative maintenance specifically will run for a long time. When you start reading about areas that are failing/trends and your car falls into that area, address it. Do not wait for it to fail.

Stepping into a Porsche is very expensive. While always a great thing, i would not want an older Turbo as a daily driver. A newer 997 sure, but not an older one...I have a 77 911, and it runs great, but would never expect it to be a DD...

On the Lotus...great toy...not very practical as a day to day car....

It is always nice to have a car that is paid for that you know...take the time to learn how to do your own maintenance and it is even more rewarding..

Just my two cents
Agree that if you like a good car and want to keep it, you can make it work. I had an '02 TT225 and sold it a few years ago, but only because I elected to keep my 2000 A41.8t, which is my daily driver. It's paid for, judiciously modded (SSR rims, Supersprint, GIAC, Bilstein/Eibach) and utterly reliable with 140K miles. Original turbo. I have spent $$$$ over the years for tie rod ends, timing belts, etc., but when you aren't making a car payment, those things come more easily. Think about it . . If you love your car and you get it paid for, the biggest repairs you could anticipate would barely cover the sales tax & license fees on a comparable new one. If you love it, keep it.