TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Requesting TT buying advice....please

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woah, wait, you only paid ~38k? Hmm...

Well if I can find a full-time job... and I graduate in May...
if I can get that kind of deal.. and trade this coupe in for $28k... that's a $10k upgrade. Hmm.
I will have to use those bargaining skills next time. I got this Coupe down to to ~36k, but I ordered the car, only got the Premium Package.
I ordered it for the cloth seats... but those are no longer an option for 2003. Should be able to find something on the lot within a few months. Maybe.

Just need my girlfriend to get a car with cargo space. (Or, get a car at all)
Old 03-11-2003, 08:21 PM

Regarding 1 & 3 together, realize the Tip is FWD-only
Old 03-11-2003, 08:23 PM

Doh! Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few thoughts...

FWIW.

1) I don't have a Tip, so I can't comment on that point... but if you have a medical condition, there's no reason to pass up a TT just because "sports cars don't have auto trannys." Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, etc. have AT options, so that one's more a personal bias than anything else. I *like* a manual... but YMMV.

2) As others have suggested, do the Edmunds/CarPoint thing and don't get taken for more than $1500 over invoice. There's lots of TTs out there, and the market was soft in January.

3) I won't debate your parents' perception... but as most "car" people will attest, CR is great for appliances, but loses credibility on other categories (stereos, computers and cars) because the personal preferences we all bring to the mix don't work across the board. Limited sample sizes affect their statistics as well... my car has been very dependable. There's also the taste issue. Accords are great cars for what they are, but they aren't art. IMNSHO, a TT is art on wheels. As for safety, I've seen nasty accident pics of TTs where the driver walked away. Those are here in the Forum.

4) Halfway cross-country? I did... from DC to Minn in Nov 00. It's a great break-in opportunity, as long as you don't use cruise control. I've made that drive since: the seats are great, 'specially when you vary the heat level -- it makes a cranky back happy

HTH. Best of luck with the decision. Cheers!
Old 03-12-2003, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

nicely said...
Old 03-12-2003, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Beamm...the clutch is super easy on your knee, even compared to our A4...also>

I would check out Poquet Auto on 394. They are a local auto broker....They get many low mileage Audi's that were company cars....I just got my 01' TTQC 225hp from them...$13k under an 03' sticker and it had only 6,300 miles....They can find an 02' QC for you pretty easily...
Old 03-12-2003, 04:46 AM

Default Thanks a lot guys...I have driven both cars before...

And loved both...probably since I've never driven a car with power (have a SAAB 9000 CSE with NO TURBO :/) so I didn't know any better . I'm also not planning on racing on track or on street (if I want to make a statement I feel that driving a TT is statement enough...no need to race).

Thanks a lot for the adivce, this forum is great.

Dan
Old 03-12-2003, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You will love the car. I recommend it...sorta..depending on what you expect.....

Your parents are not wrong about their wanting you to get an accord. It will be far more reliable than a TT. There are far more Honda dealers than Audi dealers. Most Honda service depts are open later and on Sat, unlike many Audi dealers here (Boston south). The TT will not be the most reliable car you get. You will have to deal with it. Just remember that the headlight is around $1200 (had one replaced), not to mention the cluster failing (2 replaced), fuel sending units (just replaced), interior light issues (module replaced), Turbo (replaced already), etc that may crop up out of warranty.

CR is not too off base with their current rating of the TT, IMO. It is not crap, but it is not a Honda/Toyota either. You will more than likely have issues. But you will have to deal with it.

Just make sure that your local dealer has service hours that meet your needs. Most dealers do not offer loaners (some do). Many dealers close at 5. Many dealers are not open Saturday. Make sure you can get it serviced around your schedule. My dealer is 35 mi away (45-60 minutes). Pain in the B@lls to get serviced. Not open after 5 or on Saturday. Not to mention that it takes 2 trips to fix a single problem (at our dealer, anyway) because they stock almost no parts. Larger dealers should have better part inventories.

As a Honda Accord AND '01 225 TT owner, I can say the Honda earned my respect as a competent car, no issues in 195,000 miles. Sure nothing great to look at, but it is fun to drive. Not a chick magnet. I just LOVE to drive the TT. Take it any chance I get. But when the dark time comes (service), there is always drama. I would buy another TT again. But certainly no other Audi. Audi has not earned my respect for customer service. They have great innovations, nice products. But the service is lacking big time, IMO.

Get the car, you will love it.

Paul S
Old 03-12-2003, 04:59 AM

Default Wow....I didn't know that reliability was really that bad...

I thought those issues were kinda over with...is it possible to get a longer warrenty on the car (I've heard something about 6/100,000).

Thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ours was an mid 01 model. We had issues. many of us have. Many have not

It is a gamble at best. But you know when you get an Accord. You, more likely than not, will never have a significant warranty claim. Is this the deciding factor. I think not. I would get another TT before another Accord.

I think our TT is about average for reliability among TTs. Nothing too weird (other than the turbo) failed. Many of us have similar problems. That is good, because Audi knows how to fix them. But if you have a problem that they never saw before, this is where some drama begins. Two times the car was at the dealer for 5 working days (6-7 total each visit). One visit was to replace the turbo. The other visit was for the 20K service.

There are many owners that reported no warranty claims is 3+ years. This may be true as well. But is not the overwhelming majority.

Not trying to talk you out of it. Just trying to put things in perspective. You more than likely will have issues. Chances are they will not be out of the ordinary. But just be prepared to be without your car for a good amount of time if there is an unordinary repair. My complaints are directed at the dealer, not the car. If you get a good dealer, that is half the battle right there.

If you want a reliable car get an accord. If you want a kick *** car get a TT.

Quick Reply: Requesting TT buying advice....please