TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Power drops off completely while driving, no warning lights....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power drops off completely while driving, no warning lights....

I've had it happen twice in the last couple of months and it just kind of stopped. Well at lunch today it happened 6 TIMES. Completely random and the engine power would just cut right off (think of if you are in a Jetta or something and the tires spin in the snow, it's like all gas gets cut from the engine).

Once I let my foot off the gas for a couple of seconds it will catch up again.

The fact that there is no rhyme or reason as to why the power is being cut concerns me a lot. On top of that, no warning lights or any feedback from the car (other than lack of forward motion) for me to diagnose.

I'm going to get my summer ties put on this upcoming Thursday, but I don't think I want to wait that long to get it looked at.

Any ideas? Simple fixes? Fluid, filters, cleaners?

*sigh*
Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Was thinking clutch till I saw you were DSG. There have been multiple reports of mechatronic failures in DSG equipped cars. (Not a lot. just multiple.) Probably need to plan to see the dealer.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Was thinking clutch till I saw you were DSG. There have been multiple reports of mechatronic failures in DSG equipped cars. (Not a lot. just multiple.) Probably need to plan to see the dealer.
I had no idea that the '05 3.2s were having DSG issues. I knew the '04s had a few odd things here and there, but not the '05.

A word like "mechatronic" sounds expensive. I can't wait to be bent over at the dealership.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here are a few cases from some of the GB guys.

http://www.audi-forums.com/vw-passat...sg-owners.html
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Here are a few cases from some of the GB guys.

http://www.audi-forums.com/vw-passat...sg-owners.html
Wow... Well I'll be calling the dealership / Audi CS tomorrow. That is some spread-out issues. For every 1 person that's vocal there are 25 that don't say anything.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:33 AM

I have the same issue in my 6 speed. Usually around 40 mph if I'm at the right position on the gas pedal the car seems to shudder and then feel as if I totally lifted off the throttle... after bucking a little bit it will carry on.... I was thinking a bunk TPS but I can't find a dead spot in neutral ... I don't think it's the clutch either since I had it changed last year and it doesn't slip even during launches. Any ideas?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 PM

Alright bought a VAG-COM today and let it run on the car.

Had a couple of error codes, but I think this is the one that's the culprit:

Code:
Address 08: Auto HVAC        Labels: None
   Part No: 8N0 820 043 A
   Component: TT-KLIMAVOLLAUTOMAT D03  
   Coding: 00140
   Shop #: WSC 01236  

1 Fault Found:
01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) 
            41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent
Also I've seen it only one time, but after I got out of the car the brake lights stayed on, light tap on the pedal fixed it, but it turn up a code in my tests:

Code:
Address 22: AWD        Labels: 02D-900-554.lbl
   Part No: 02D 900 554 D
   Component: HALDEX LSC  ECC     0011  

1 Fault Found:
00526 - Brake Light Switch-F 
            27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

So I'm wondering if anyone else ever had that fault before and if it's a fairly simple fix?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The first code has to do with the airconditioning and heating . Doubt that that has any bearing.
The second code about the brake light switch might be promising. On our manual trans cars, when a brake switch fails, it is usually no big deal, though it can of course drain the battery and it makes the cruise control inoperable. On a DSG car Who knows? It is easy to see that the transmission could be confused if it gets erronious signals from the brake switch. Hope that is it for your sake. Cheap fix. You might try searching over on the UK forum. Seem to be lots more DSG cars there.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:55 PM

Hmm alright. So on my way to work tomorrow I want to strap the laptop in and do some live logging.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to figure this out, so I'll just ask.

When I'm doing live logging is the number to the left of the name what I need to put in the "group" area? so "26" for the brake thing or do I use "526"?

Honestly I didn't even think a brake switch being faulty would do that, but it does make some sense as it does act like I'm hitting the brake (rpm goes down, engine looses power ie. not getting gas, and I'd be curious if my brake lights turned on).

I'm in the shop on Thursday for the wheel swap so I'm going to get a quote to see how much it'll be to replace that.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Grr no edit feature. Just a thought it wasn't long ago that I had my Haldex filter replaced, do you think something could've happened at that point?

Quick Reply: Power drops off completely while driving, no warning lights....