TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OEM CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2000, 10:42 AM
Hud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM CD Changer

TTim, I was encouraged by your post on the cd changer install and I thought I would follow that path for my coupe. I looked in the tech bulletin and everything seems straight forward except how to remove the rear seat bottom and trim panel. I'd rather not learn the hard way and break anything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.<p>Bill Yorde
Silver/Grey
TT180Q
Old 05-30-2000, 03:25 PM

Default Re: OEM CD Changer (long)

I would recommend purchasing the Official Manual on CD from www.rb.com. Unfortunately, it's a $100. I will try to explain it as best as I can.

I installed the factory version of the changer. The part numbers are as follows. Prices are from the local Austin, TX dealer.

8N8051229A CD Changer Install Kit - $27
8N8035111A 6-Disc CD Changer - $350

When you see the mounting kit, you're going to kick yourself (and wish you could kick Audi reps) since they're charging you $27 for a piece of metal and some screws. I've heard that the changer is a Panasonic, and you could probably use the one designed for the A4 from Crutchfield. However, any OEM versions will need the appropriate connector to hook up to Audi's prewired connector. The factory version comes with the right connector. Again, I cannot guarantee that an OEM version will work. As of a few weeks ago, Crutchfield said it would probably not be until July or August before they came out with the "Official" TT supported version.

Step 1 - Pulling out rear seat
Put the driver and passenger seats all the way forward. You'll need the room. Pull out the rear seat. The rear seat just pulls straight up. There is one tab on the left and one on the right. Just pull hard straight up on each side, and it'll pop out. The tab is below the first stitch. I'll try to draw it out with ASCII art (*'s are tabs). Ignore the "0"'s...had to ad them because the posting program wanted to remove leading spaces.

0000000000000000sbelt
0-- l psg butt --------- r psg butt --
/00\----------/0000000\----------/00\
-------------------------------------
00000*000000000000000000000*00000

After you pop out the seat, it's a tight fit to take it out. You have to pull the seat up and forward. It's a little tricky, but not hard. You basically just need to get the leather around the seat belt receptacles. Then pull the seat out.

Step 2 - Pulling out the rear seatback
Using a 17mm socket and either a T-40 or T-45 (can't remember which) attachment, unscrew the driver's side rear seat. The means, you need to unscrew two 17mm, and two T-40/45. Take the 17mm all the way out. Just loosen the Torx screw. There are a pair of them on the left (this one removes seatbelt receptable as well), and right. You only need to pull out the driver's side rear seatback. Leave the passenger side rear seat back. It will just create more work for you if you take it out.

Unlatch the rear seatback from behind (as if you are lowering the seat). Then you can pull the seatback up and out.

Step 3 - Removing striker pin
You will need a 12 point deep 17mm socket to remove the striker pin. The striker pin (think that's the name of it) is the pin that the seatback latches onto. You can't miss it. Pull it all the way out.

Step 4 - Remove side panels
Starting from the striker pin hole, pull out the side panel working from the back and down. It pops out just like the rear seat. Be careful not to bend the panel. It just takes a good pull to loosen it. You'll know when you loosen it because there is a big pop. I think there are 5 or 6 anchor points to pop out. The driver's seat belt goes through this panel, so just prop it up against the drivers seat when you get it out. Remove the little storage spacer by pulling it out.

Step 5 - Mount CD Changer
Remove the negative terminal from your battery. The battery is on the driver's side of the car. It's under that first panel under the hood. Mount the CD changer on the mounting kit. Mount the mounting kit on the side of the car. There are obvious mount points. You can't miss the screw holes with the way the mounting kit is setup. Then, plug in the CD changer. Before you do anything else, connect the battery back up, start the car, and insert one CD into the changer. Make sure it works before you go through all the work to put the car back together.

Step 6 - Put car back together
Pop the side panel into place. Just takes a few good strikes to pop into place.
Put the striker pin in
Attach the rear seatback
Insert the rear seat

Let me know if you have any questions. The whole process took me about 3 hours, but that's only because I had to run to Sears twice to get the right tools (once for the Torx bit, and a second time for the 12pt deep socket). It shouldn't take more than an hour to do by yourself if you have the tools.
Old 05-30-2000, 05:02 PM
Hud

Default Re: OEM CD Changer (long)

Thank you for the detailed description. There is a technical bulletin at www.tech.vw.com/audi/index.htm but there is no detail on the seat or trim fasteners. So this will help immensely.<p>Bill Yorde
Silver/Grey
TT180Q
Old 05-31-2000, 05:23 AM

Default Re: OEM CD Changer

Bill,

I too am considering buying an after market CD changer. I originally wanted to install my Sony MD package (complete with Head Unit)but have been advised that this may cause some power problems with my TT??? Something to do with a lead from the original Head Unit going through the ECU??

Anyway, I phoned Panasonic UK and have been advised that the following CD changer is the one we need:-

PANASONIC CXDP9061

I'm sorry if you already knew this but I thought I'd mention it anyway!

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,
Dazza.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Default Need to download XRumer 5.0 for free!

hey!
there is NO cracks for XRumer 4.0 and XRumer 5.0
Just buy it. This software really effective and powerful.
http://www.botmasternet.com - for english
http://www.botmasterru.com - for russian

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Default Ugrently need your help!

Yes.
XRumer 5.0 Palladium it the best soft for promo anyway.
I was promoted more than 100 my web-satellites up to Google's TOP-10 (keywords - adult and pharma)
Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Thank you for this write-up! I've been meaning to replace my CD changer for months but as I recall last time I ran into some trouble with there being a bar in the way of taking out my existing one. I'm going to tackle this again this weekend.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Your message about advertisement!Have a XRumer?

Great news!
XRumer 5.0.12 Palladium was released, just ask Google for more info
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

If you have the OEM radio skip the crappy 6 disc changer and look on Ebay for a Phatnoise player. I installed one a couple of years ago and wouldn't think twice of ever having a CD player again. I've got 72 CD's on mine and it is less than halfway full. And they can be found for about the same price as a changer.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Add Sirrus at the same time!

I have a TTR '02 with a OEM CD Changer. It is not thAT tought to add Factory satilite radio at the same time. Biggest expense is buying a factory HU with the Sat built in. Add a 1' pass thru cable to your CD unit and twisted pair to your HU and volia!