TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Not even a year being the 2nd owner, I am starting to regret buying a TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not even a year being the 2nd owner, I am starting to regret buying a TT

my last vehicle I bought used also, but I also drove it through 3 feet of mud and water for 4 years including driving from NJ to Utah and I have not had any mechanical problems owning the Nissan Xterra. But then I traded it in and bought a used TT with high milage even though service records were maintained on it. I always liked the looks of the TT but now I know to never go for just the looks. But recently I spent $5100 in cash for upgrades, maintenance, and labor all in one shot...and the repairs seem to continue to go further down the road. For 4 years owning a Japanese made vehicle, I spent that much alone only for mods and not worn or damaged factory parts.

I would just like to be able to enjoy the TT as much as I enjoyed my previous vehicles without the repair hassles. I am not like some people who hardly even drive their TT. I believe in driving a car and not admiring it all the time on the driveway or home garage. Maybe that's why some people don't experience problems with their TT cause they hardly drive it.

Sorry for venting my TT ownership anger but it's the holidays and having something break that can or may be expensive at this time of the year is ruining the fun of owning the TT.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much of the $5100 was repairs?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:23 PM

German vs. Jap...latter more reliable / trouble free
Old 12-19-2006, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The TT is its own enemy in a strange way - but for me, its all worth it - everyday!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:27 PM

Had a similar experience... not my daily driver, though. Still love the TT.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default fwiw

i have 140+k on this car, and barring two cosmetic accidents, and a failure on my stoptec brakes this car has been nearly maint-free since i came out of warranty. oil, gas, maf and go.

*granted* I get a haldex bus error on vag (doesnt affect the vehicle's awd behavior) and the longitudnal sensor needs to be replaced (the cluster lamp is lit).

I think that the reliability of these cars is all over the map; if I were going to buy another TT, I would not buy one w/ >20k. I would rather have the buffer, that the warranty gives, before I am responsible for a potentially expensive money pit.

The TT gets retired next year from DD duties.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:36 PM

Default approx $2500 was for repairs....sure Jap seemed more reliable especially through the abuse

I put the previous vehicle through but I always figured Audi to be in a higher class than Nissan or Toyota. And when I think of car manufactures being atleast in that type of high level, I would expect more in quality. Sure it's not a $75K Mercedes or whatever but I would have figured Audi to be the better quality class of VW as if Lexus was considered the better class of Toyota if you know what i mean.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IMO quality is different from reliability,

or perhaps it's just different parts that are of higher quality
Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hmmm, interesting. Sorry for your troubles, but you sig. belies your true feelings...

you seem to want the car to perform like a race car, but look like a boulevard car.

You are used to driving through mud and slop in a truck, and expect a more well-tuned car to perform like your truck.

Step back and take a look at how you drive, and what your expectations are.

I too, have incurred high maintenance incidents, but it's the nature of our "beast"

Porsche, BMW, even Mercedes are in the same boat here.
We pay for our performance that we demand.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:56 PM

Default actually the sig has nothing to do with how I drive or what I expect...>>

I thought the DTM car looked hot and I was practicing up on my PS skills. I have owned quicker sport cars in the past, Amercian made in fact and just my opinion, the quality of an Audi sports car seems like the quality or an American made sports car.
I don't expect my car to perform in mud or deep water crossings, but I do expect it to be worry free when I pull it out of my garage and drive short distances in a non agressive driving style and just owning the TT used in short amount of time, I am not impressed in quality. I am however impressed in performance but quality can come in a different catagory. For instance, I would have never expected my remote mirror **** to break off or have my headlight switch become faulty for fog setting let alone read so many complaints from others about the same issue. Come on now, my car is a 2000 and I still read from owners of later models having the same headlight issue. I would have figured Audi solved that problem 3 or 4 years later.
But anyways, I am still venting my holiday spirits!!

Quick Reply: Not even a year being the 2nd owner, I am starting to regret buying a TT