TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

new TT owner w/ questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new TT owner w/ questions

Hey guys, just picked up an 02 TT 225 6sp today with 132k on the odo.

I'm new to the TT but not new to audis (also have a b5 a4 and c6 allroad).

Anyways, the car has a few problems.

1.) gauge cluster is dead. I hear module masters does a good job of rebuilding, but can a dead cluster cause other issues? I drove it home with a scangauge attached to make sure it doesn't overheat, etc.

2.) oil pressure light comes on, but only at idle. I plan on replacing the pump and pickup tube, but is there a chance that this may have something to do with issue #1?

3.) transmission goes into gear perfectly while idle or driving slow, but when shifting hard it can get very difficult to find the gear. for instance, if I rev to 4000 in 2nd and immediately try to go to third, it's almost locked out; if I wait about a second for the engine to settle, it slides right into third. I'm guessing this has something to do with worn mounts? I've got replacement rear/engine/tranny mounts coming in from ECS, but they're not shipping until the 27th.

edit: played around with the shifter linkage today, and realized the counterweight wasn't properly tightened down. It had significant up/down movement on the arm it attaches to. Fixed that problem and shifting at speed is almost completely fixed; there's a slight pause which I believe is due to the transmission mounts being shot (I was able to put almost an entire finger into the mount, where there should be rubber). Also, I think the little lever that puts the transmission in home position is broken on mine. Looked for 30 minutes before finding a dieselgeek video on how to adjust the linkage without it.

4.) engine idles at around 850, but seems to shake a LOT at idle. Perhaps related to issue #3. Shakes a lot through the entire rev range as well. I think I'm going to wait until the mounts come in to drive it any further- don't want to cause damage to exhaust or driveshaft.

I checked it for codes and it came up clean, and stayed clean after the 80 mile drive back. I'm hoping that it'll be fine after a few simple replacements.

Thanks all!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by crono35
Hey guys, just picked up an 02 TT 225 6sp today with 132k on the odo.

I'm new to the TT but not new to audis (also have a b5 a4 and c6 allroad).

Anyways, the car has a few problems.

1.) gauge cluster is dead. I hear module masters does a good job of rebuilding, but can a dead cluster cause other issues? I drove it home with a scangauge attached to make sure it doesn't overheat, etc.

2.) oil pressure light comes on, but only at idle. I plan on replacing the pump and pickup tube, but is there a chance that this may have something to do with issue #1?

3.) transmission goes into gear perfectly while idle or driving slow, but when shifting hard it can get very difficult to find the gear. for instance, if I rev to 4000 in 2nd and immediately try to go to third, it's almost locked out; if I wait about a second for the engine to settle, it slides right into third. I'm guessing this has something to do with worn mounts? I've got replacement rear/engine/tranny mounts coming in from ECS, but they're not shipping until the 27th.

edit: played around with the shifter linkage today, and realized the counterweight wasn't properly tightened down. It had significant up/down movement on the arm it attaches to. Fixed that problem and shifting at speed is almost completely fixed; there's a slight pause which I believe is due to the transmission mounts being shot (I was able to put almost an entire finger into the mount, where there should be rubber). Also, I think the little lever that puts the transmission in home position is broken on mine. Looked for 30 minutes before finding a dieselgeek video on how to adjust the linkage without it.

4.) engine idles at around 850, but seems to shake a LOT at idle. Perhaps related to issue #3. Shakes a lot through the entire rev range as well. I think I'm going to wait until the mounts come in to drive it any further- don't want to cause damage to exhaust or driveshaft.

I checked it for codes and it came up clean, and stayed clean after the 80 mile drive back. I'm hoping that it'll be fine after a few simple replacements.

Thanks all!
Hey congrats on the purchase. I cant answer all of your questions but honestly the first thing you should probably do is have the dogbone (trans mount) bushing replaced, maybe even the entire dogbone mount, depending on damange. PowerFlex makes some really good poly bushings.

Probably need an Automotive shop to do it but the labor shouldn't be too much cuz it's right there in reach once on their lift. I say do that first because you have already determined that the bushing almost completely gone, that's most likely where some of your shaking is coming. Should at least inspect your control arm bushings as well. My guess is they are worn out as well.

I replaced all front end bushings and the dogbone bushing a while back with the powerflex polyurethane bushings and the DEFCON upgrade... now very tight suspension and handling.

On the gauge cluster, just do a google search ... may need to research a bit, there are several sources where you can get a replacement/rebuild... had mine replaced as well.

hope this helps
Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought my 2005 from Carmax and it is perfect, if not they will fix it. Seems like i avoided a lot of problems people have when buying older TT's