TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

K&N Drop Filter voids the warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Drop Filter voids the warranty???

So Champion Audi in Fort Lauderdale just let me know that the K&N drop-in air filter means the warranty won't cover fixing my defective MAF. They claim that having the filter doesn't void my warranty per se, but that anything that breaks as a result of installing the filter won't be covered by warranty. WTF???

That's not making a whole lotta sense to me.

Not only that, but apparently it takes the Champion mechs 3 hours to install a MAF. I'll say it again: WTF??? 3 hours?

I know their 'work' hours are dictated by what their 'book' says it should take, but man, that's just ridiculous. Is there anything I can do, or is Champion gonna lube me up good for a nice hard reamin'? I bought the MAF myself ($100) and it looks simple enough to install, and I can clear the codes with my APR chip...
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I call BS....>>>

the thing with the K&N's is that some are over oiled, and when that happens, some of the oil makes it to the MAF signal wire...two things you can try....

1- Pull the MAF yourself (all you need is pliers) and spray the wire down, with some good electronics cleaner...let dry and replace...you can use machine scews to replace the crappy torx screws used on the MAF....

2- If step one does not work, then replace your MAF with the 100$ refurbed one you got....

I would check your K&N to make sure it is not over oiled....

If it takes YOU an 1hr...to either of these, that will be a lot....that is what a lot of us do, and once you do it the first time...it will be a breeze from then on.

Some dealers just look for a way to get out of a warranty, clearly that dealer is not "Mod friendly"...
Old 07-11-2005, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 hours, that's about right>>

Hour 1: Look at work order. Take smoke break. Lose workorder, but find it, re-read. Get coke and crackers from machine.

Hour 2: Go back to vending area to retrieve misplaced work order. Decide to get another coke but need change. Stand in line for cashier, make small talk, ask her out for the 27th time this week and get turned down for the 27th time. Chat with Bill in parts about Fantasy Football league. Take ****. Get coke. Return to cashier to retrieve work order that was left while getting bills out of wallet. Ask cashier out for 28th time, get turned down 28th time.

Hour 3: Return to shop area and raise car on lift. Realize CV boots are not damaged and check work order but it's for the wrong car. Return to service advisor for correct work order. Chat for 20 minutes about fishing trip last weekend, then return to shop. Replace MAF. Clear codes. Mark that you test-drove car and have porter remove car from shop. Take another **** and purchase another coke with remaining 50 cents. Have another smoke. Drop completed work-order off with service advisor.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Installing an aftermarket part does not void warranty, unless.......

they can prove the installed part created the failure. That's the law, but they can still just say it caused the failure, and without legal support you may not be able to fight them. There have been lots of posts for replacing the MAF, pretty simple.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL, you got it.
AudiWorld Super User

Default Odd that this dealer of any would not be mod friendly...

I believe not too long ago they were talking about offering chips with a warranty.
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Lots of folks who say that an over oiled K&N will damage the MAF sensor.

Makes sense that could be possible. I don't have K&N but when my MAF failed I just bought a refurbed one and installed myself. A little advice from several of the forum members, and some from APR, and the purchase of the refurb MAF from Impex, was far less painful than a trip to the dealer.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Seriously though I know a dealer tech who logs almost 80 hours a week>>

there's definitely some SERIOUS padding in the book time and hard-working techs can take home a nice paycheck.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Rest In Peace

Default looks like a snowjob to me...3hrs??? Please.....>>>

and to blame a filter...common...when you want to play in the aftermarket, you need to be competitive...not take advantage of folks..IMO

I just hate to read these John..that's all..
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have seen this exact thing play out!

Quick Reply: K&N Drop Filter voids the warranty???