TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Just bought 2000 Audi TT - Broke down 3 days later... PLEASE HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 2000 Audi TT - Broke down 3 days later... PLEASE HELP.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thanks in advance for any help. I am new to this forum and new to Audi's. I do a lot of my own work on vehicles, except clutch/tranny issues, and that seems to be my problem now. I bought the car 3 days ago, because I love how they look and drive. I drove it home 6 hours back to Pittsburgh from Baltimore. Everything was perfect. Drove it for the next 3 days. Everything was perfect. No grinding or weird noises and shifted through all of the gears like butter. Below I will try to accurately describe what started happening. I will give as much detailed information as possible, so hopefully a diagnosis can be made.

2000 Audi TT 180hp turbo with apr stage 2 flash and upgraded diverter valve.

I was pulling out in first gear, being a jackass and trying to lay tire, and I don't know if I was spinning tire or burning my clutch... I am an idiot, I know.. so then going down the road after I pulled out, it was really hard to get into the other gears. 4th and 5th seemed a bit easier. When I was going down the highway and I would hit on the gas, it would make a loud whining sound coming from the front engine area. It would only do it if I was higher on the rpms and pressed the gas suddenly... I ended up making it home..

So this morning I started it, hoping it was all a bad dream. Made it around the block and it seemed okay. but after I got on the gas and took it near redline, the engine made that same weird whining noise, almost like the fire sirens winding down. It wouldn't make that noise when I revved the engine up in neutral. Only when moving. So then after driving about 60 seconds it was really hard to get into and get out of all the gears. I had to give it a lot of pressure on the **** ****.

It goes through all the gears perfectly fine with the engine off. With the engine on, it goes through all the gears just fine, the first few times, then after I rode it around the block, it was getting worse and worse. It would even bump and grind when putting it into reverse at a dead stop... and one of those times I was sitting at a stop sign with the clutch presses all the way in, in 1st gear, and it started to creep forward like the I was letting out the clutch and it was engaging. But the clutch pedal was full depressed to the floor...

So I let it sit for a few hours, tried to see if it would get me down to work 3 miles away. I started out slow, and it shifted okay. and then when I got on the highway and gave it some gas, the engine made that same weird sound, the car gradually lost power. I would hit the gas, and it the rpms would go up a little, and then drop lower and lower until the car died. so now the car wont even start and I just had it towed to a transmission shop...

I have worked with this shop before, and they seem decent, but I just want to try and figure out what is going on, so I can call them on their bull**** when they tell me that I need to drop and replace my tranny. I cannot afford to have that done. So I am hoping to figure out what is wrong, so I can figure out the cheapest way to fix it.

It seems really weird to me that a clutch/tranny problem would cause that whining noise and subsequently cause the car to lose power and not start.. So could it be 2 major failures? I don't know. This sucks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The shop is only a block away, so I can go test thing for diagnostic purposes if any more information is needed.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

oh and it has 140k miles, but it has had the whole timing belt/water pump/tensioner pulleys etc replaced less then 10k miles ago. I have all kind of receipts showing the regular maintenance and upkeep of the car. It all seemed like it was in great shape and really well maintained. It was an older guy who owned it, and said he took good care of it and it wasn't abused...
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

trans. fluid, if I was to make a bet
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info. I am really hoping it is something simple like that. It has been sitting at the tranny shop for 3 days now, but they finally said they will get to it tomorrow morning. So I will post an update as soon as I receive any info.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I got some news today.. Good and Bad.

Good news: the reason why there was power issues in the car and it shut off on me, was it ran out of gas. I guess the gas gauge isn't correct.

Bad news: I need a new clutch. My mechanic said it isn't disengaging and needs to be replaced. He quoted me 500 for labor, and 480 for a clutch kit... I found a killer deal on a Luk clutch kit online:

http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?ssq=luk...=2000&model=TT

So I ordered that, and will hopefully be up and running by next week.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

You are very lucky you did not break the shift fork inside the transmission. The price you were quoted for the clutch replacement is very fair.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
You are very lucky you did not break the shift fork inside the transmission. The price you were quoted for the clutch replacement is very fair.
Yes, this is a very reasonable and fair price. Especially if its a reputable shop that guarantees their work for more than 90 days.