TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

intercooler, whats the best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default intercooler, whats the best?

tried a new intercooler setup today, I got +7c at 24psi, ambient temp 86f, base iat temp was 36c and when at 24psi max was 43c. Test was done at 0 mph.best of all absoultly no pressure drop. whats the best ic setup out there? I just want IAT numbers off a base line to compare.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

nobody??? BTW, above is with the ic removed,
Old 08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have built a few turbo'd cars. during my builds, I have used several different brands and types, but bar and plate by major companies offered me the best performance. Are you switching to a front mount setup? Side mounts are crap, and cant BELIEVE audi went with a side mount setup (much worse, why did they throw TWO! on the 225 model?!)

the brand I like the best is "Trust" (greddy's parent company)
Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a Forge for a few years and felt the cooling of the charge did NOT out weight the increase water temps!! many overheating issues. after going with my Del Rio set up, the i/c was much wider but shorter. this helped in BOTH areas! so be careful w/ how much you block the front of a nose breathing TT
Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M power this!
I ran a Forge for a few years and felt the cooling of the charge did NOT out weight the increase water temps!! many overheating issues. after going with my Del Rio set up, the i/c was much wider but shorter. this helped in BOTH areas! so be careful w/ how much you block the front of a nose breathing TT
have you tried using a front splitter??
Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

this may seem counter logical, but with the ic gone, my maf g/s have bumped up 20 g/s at full load, and my ait temps are accualy lower over all. under boost, they creep up 9 c, but instead of being 90 c with the engine heat soaked, they stay around 50 c. it seems that the ic was just a large heat tampon, it sucked for what it was desighned for, and in the end just warmed up the charge when not under boost. not to mention with the lack of restriction, the small ko3 can flow just a we bit more throttle responce has improved as well.

for those who want some more power that don't live in extreem hot areas, dump the ic and just run a straight pipe. you won't look back.

just a side note, the me7 will add boost, and lower requested g/s at ait temps above 110 c. and the montronic will decrease boost and add requested g/s will insain low ait. some it doesn't make a real difference with or without a ic and max power output, the ecu will always try for the spec load/tourque. so its all kinda mute no matter what you do, i just like to simplify things. but on a good side note, i relocated the map sensor to behind the tba, so it always wants more.......boost.