TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

instrument cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM
RNW
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster issues

I have a 2001 TT 1.8 225 roadster and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as me. When i start up the car my instrument cluster is totally dead. Non of the lights or guages work. The center information panel lights up as well as the odometer but that is it. After I drive the car for about 10-15 min it starts to flicker and work and then after a couple of minutes of flickering it works just fine. I think I remember reading about this being a common problem with the car awhile back but I am not sure if there was some sort of recall or not. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're pretty much screwed so far as a recall is concerned unless at a previous time the cluster was deemed "faulty" by a mechanic, you have written proof of this fact, and the cluster was never fixed at that time. The written proof has to fall within a certain time frame for Audi to do anything. The fact that you hhave a 2001 puts you out of that time frame by a couple years.

Sorry man.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Instrument Cluster

The last poster is correct in letting you know that unless diagnosed by a mechanic while the recall was in affect you are out of luck on getting it fixed for free. He should have also mentioned where you could get it fixed at for a reasonable price. Below is a link to the module masters site, these people completely rebuild your cluster for $350. I plan on sending mine out to them next week. This should completely fix your problem.

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/servi...build_info.php

Best of Luck.
daviamp
Old 10-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RNW
I have a 2001 TT 1.8 225 roadster and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as me. When i start up the car my instrument cluster is totally dead. Non of the lights or guages work. The center information panel lights up as well as the odometer but that is it. After I drive the car for about 10-15 min it starts to flicker and work and then after a couple of minutes of flickering it works just fine. I think I remember reading about this being a common problem with the car awhile back but I am not sure if there was some sort of recall or not. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I have somewhat of a similar problem with my '01 225 TT. The only thing that's weird when I start up is just the middle information (Radio, Temp & Trip) of the cluster; some of the lines are missing. The rest of the cluster is fine, so for that reason I am going to wait before I replace or rebuild it. As daviamp pointed out, if it wasn't documented by Audi during the recall we're out of luck.

F.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by daviamp
The last poster is correct in letting you know that unless diagnosed by a mechanic while the recall was in affect you are out of luck on getting it fixed for free. He should have also mentioned where you could get it fixed at for a reasonable price. Below is a link to the module masters site, these people completely rebuild your cluster for $350. I plan on sending mine out to them next week. This should completely fix your problem.

Best of Luck.
daviamp
Oh, yeah, you can get it fixed for a semi-reasonable price. See the link posted above.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My trip meter stopped working, is this a cluster problem?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned

Default yeah

Originally Posted by bobkay
My trip meter stopped working, is this a cluster problem?
Yes, it is.You can check it.Good luck.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by daviamp

Best of Luck.
daviamp
Hopefully, they have a different rate for fixing only the LCD in the middle of the cluster. The PO already replaced the cluster at the dealer, under warranty.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rats
Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 AM
RNW
AudiWorld Member

I had a friend of mine who has his own shop call his contact at Audi and get a quote for a new cluster. It turns out that Audi sells the cluster for the 2001 models at a severe discount to other models. The normal cluster will run you about $1000 while the one for the 2001's is only around $400. The guy at Audi says they do this on cars where a full recall never happened but the problem is widespread. Seems pretty close to the rebuild price so I think I am going to put in a new one - the only problem is that I was told you have to have a dealer program a new one.