TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I too will soon be joining the elite "new cluster club"......and other service woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I too will soon be joining the elite "new cluster club"......and other service woes...

....well, actually it seems to be a more common occurrence than not.

I had the car in for the 40k service yesterday....told them about the inaccurate gas gauge and they determined it was the cluster. The symptoms are...the gauge consistently reads 1/4 tank higher than actual. When the tank is full, the gauge is pegged about 1/4 above full. The miles-to-empty and fuel-low light are still accurate...the light will come-on when the gauge says 1/4 tank. (I did the Techron treatment with no effect)

Too bad they have to replace the whole cluster and not just the gauge...but good thing it's still under warranty...or it would be over $1100. It's on order and should be there in about a week. ...so my car will once again have to face the possibility they will F--- something else up.

The 40K service included spark plug replacement and when I picked it up yesterday the car was misfiring at idle....hard to believe they wouldn't notice that! :-( ....so of course I had to leave it there overnight. This morning they determined the #1 plug was gapped incorrectly...pretty basic stuff. At least they gave me an A4 loner. Got the car back later this morning and all is well ....for now.

I also told them about the 2nd-to-3rd grind, but they couldn't duplicate it...since it only seems to happen in hot weather, and it was cool yesterday...at least it's documented now so they'll have to fix it eventually. ...sorry this is so long...haven't posted much in a while. :-)
Old 07-11-2006, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Same here

My fuel gauge has the exact same problem as you described. I rely on the digital "miles to empty" since it is more accurate. I have a feeling that its just a fouled fuel sender and not the whole cluster. I tried that techron thing and did not help. I will clean my senders when I get time and hopefully it will work. Also, by having the wrong gap on the plugs wouldnt really cause a misfire? I could be wrong.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:06 PM

Default I think they said it was no gap.....

....can't remember exactly what they said...could have been a bad plug, I suppose. ...was just hard to believe they would return it to me running that way.

If the sender is dirty or bad I don't think the miles-to-empty would still be accurate....if the gauge and read-out get their info from the sender. Sounds like it is just the gauge in your cluster...same as mine. I could be wrong though. :-)
Old 07-11-2006, 07:07 PM

yea mine is doing that.....but im not under warranty
Old 07-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, i gotta do that soon, too. sigh.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bookmark this for when you are out of warranty:

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1490138.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1490138.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 07-12-2006, 04:54 AM

Default Thanks. Hopefully I won't need it...but you never know....

...lots of good info in the FAQ.

I'm curious if there is any chance they will reflash (or overwrite) the ECU software as part of the cluster replacement. I don't want to lose Revo. I don't recall ever hearing of this happening....but just wondering. I know programming the cluster &amp; keys is involved...but not sure about the ECU.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Revo persisted through a cluster change, you should have no problem.

If something does happen, you should be able to get reflashed for free, though. Your VIN is on file with Revo. May be a pain depending on your proximity to your Revo dealer, though.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Good to hear...

...it would be inconvenient for me to get reflashed, with the nearest dealer 300 mi. away.

They were kind of suspicious of me when they saw the forge DV ...looking to blame the misfire problems caused by their shoddy spark plug replacement on something else.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Same here

I'm having the same problem too. It just started happening when the "real" summer finally reached the Northeast. When I fill up, the fuel gauge is pegged as far right as it can go (it used to stop right on "F"). Blissfully ignorant of the actual problem, I began to rejoice in my spontaneous gain of fuel mileage... until I saw I had 180 miles left at the 1/2 tank mark!

I also have noticed that my MPG is usually 2-4 MPG above actual. I wonder if this is at all related?

*Sigh* I guess in order to enjoy the wonderful designs of German cars, we have to put up with reliability problems that Japanese owners never see. I've had a Nissan Maxima for 12 years that has had only ONE electrical quirk--the engine check light going on because of a spike reading from an O2 sensor (easily reset by owner). Conversely, my TT has had *3* electrical problems in just 2 years, one of them repeating twice. Damn Germans should just outsource their electrical system designs to the Japanese and get these reliability issues eliminated!