TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I thought it was a bad MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought it was a bad MAF???

So I vaged my car over the weekend because i got a check engine and it started bogging out of no where and I was getting a bad MAF code, but also it said it could've been O2 sensors. I replaced the MAF and it still runs like crap. I'm getting a check engine light on and my traction control light on. I don't get it! If I leave my old MAF plugged in and clear the codes the car bogs bad! I mean really bad! The point where I can't drive it. But if I unplug it, all works fine, I just don't get my turbo boost which is annoying. I hook up the new MAF and it still bogs and I have no power what so ever. With the same check engine light and traction control light. 2001 audi tt Quattro. Any ideas and help would be appreciated. I want my turbo back! I was thinking about cleaning the plug with some electrode cleaner, could be a bad connection but I'm definitely open to suggestions. Thanks guys! Ill vag it tomorrow when I get home and give you exact codes.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyson5896
So I vaged my car over the weekend because i got a check engine and it started bogging out of no where and I was getting a bad MAF code, but also it said it could've been O2 sensors. I replaced the MAF and it still runs like crap. I'm getting a check engine light on and my traction control light on. I don't get it! If I leave my old MAF plugged in and clear the codes the car bogs bad! I mean really bad! The point where I can't drive it. But if I unplug it, all works fine, I just don't get my turbo boost which is annoying. I hook up the new MAF and it still bogs and I have no power what so ever. With the same check engine light and traction control light. 2001 audi tt Quattro. Any ideas and help would be appreciated. I want my turbo back! I was thinking about cleaning the plug with some electrode cleaner, could be a bad connection but I'm definitely open to suggestions. Thanks guys! Ill vag it tomorrow when I get home and give you exact codes.
The MAF causing problems with the ESP is well known.

Have you checked for leaks in the intake and also vacuum lines?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was doing that and it was a boost hose leak.

Cheers.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

remember the code is not saying this is exactly whats bad. its throwing a fault that requires additional diagnosing. The Input for the MAF is low, well besides it being obviously bad. Any place the engine would be sucking air from and not through the maf is going to make the signal much lower than expected. So big intake leaks, the breather stuff thats oh so typical on 1.8T cars all broken apart and rotted away all cause the same code. So next time try not to jump the gun on replacing a maf from that code. I see that code alot on audis and vws, and probably 1 out of 10 are actually the maf.