TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Headlights issues, questions, please help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights issues, questions, please help...

OK, have probably an extremely stupid question for all you experienced Audi owners, but I've been wracking my brain all day so here goes.

I just bought a 2005 Audi TT Quattro about a month ago (so I am a rookie and this)...actually my husband purchased it for me...well, haven't driven it a whole lot over the last month and I am still getting familiar with it. Well I don't do a whole lot of night driving, but the couple of times it has been driven at night, my husband drove, and he said that it seemed like the lights were fine, he saw the road just OK.

Today I was driving to work and it was a little overcast, so I turned the lights to the what I thought was the on position (the first position clicking it on the right)...there were no lights, so I turned it further to the right and some lights went on...but I saw in reflection in the car in front of me, not much in terms of what I would think turning on a headlight should look like.

OK, so I know I have Xenon headlights...can someone out there please tell me how these are supposed to work when in the first, second, pull out first and pull out second positions? Also what the damn lights are called on the headlight? This is how I understand it:

~Lights to the sides (the yellow ones outward) turn signal lights?
~Light next to those to the left / right going inward, the headlight?
~Light next to that in the middle...the full / high beam???
~Light RIGHT next to it in that same area, the sidelight?
~Light next to that, the last one inward, the fog light?
~And then the yellow strip on the bottom of the lights, parking?

I know, I know...completely retarded, but I have a headache and just want to know if I have a problem with anything, so that's what I know now...just want to clarify WTF I am looking at so I can explain correctly what lights are on, not on, etc...thanks bunches...
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default As I recall

One click turns on the parking lights, which is everything except the headlights. The second click enables the headlights too. Pulling the switch out enables the fog lights only on the second click, nothing happens if you pull on the first click. IMO the fog lights are worthless so I never used them. For exact answers you will have to RTFM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok was able to see last night, on the first click there are no lights at all. So no parking lights. The second click turns on the headlights, first pull and first click, nothing, second click pulled out the fog and the headlights come on.

So the parking lights do not come on. Any thoughts? Fuse, bulbs, headlight switch?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Never heard pf that problem before

Originally Posted by dvlgrrl6
Ok was able to see last night, on the first click there are no lights at all. So no parking lights. The second click turns on the headlights, first pull and first click, nothing, second click pulled out the fog and the headlights come on.

So the parking lights do not come on. Any thoughts? Fuse, bulbs, headlight switch?
This board is dead. It is primarily noobs who get here because it is the first place on an internet search. Try posting on these 2 that are much more active and have more experts for strange problems. Before you post, check to see if your brake lights work and add that result to the description.

Fourtitude.com - TT (Mk1, a4 chassis))

quattroworld.com Forums: TT Mk1
Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Replace the burnt out parking light bulbs. They are pretty high wattage and best obtained from a dealer. Headlight xenon lamps do have a half-life. Even when lit, not much output after so much time on. Replace them if any doubt. Those are best obtained, for economic reasons via the aftermarket. I highly suggest European Osram bulbs. There are many fakes on the internet though. Perhaps try Pelican Parts who sells brand names.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Maybe I read it wrong

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Replace the burnt out parking light bulbs. They are pretty high wattage and best obtained from a dealer. Headlight xenon lamps do have a half-life. Even when lit, not much output after so much time on. Replace them if any doubt. Those are best obtained, for economic reasons via the aftermarket. I highly suggest European Osram bulbs. There are many fakes on the internet though. Perhaps try Pelican Parts who sells brand names.
but I thought the post said there were no lights at all excpet head and fog lights. Doubt that all the others are burnt out, but it is possible.