TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Fuel Gauge Problem

Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dream Car turning into Nightmare..........

I bought a 2002 TT last June....One month later, it was in the shop racking up a $1560.00 bill for a clutch and flywheel that for the most part had just crumbled into pieces....Two months after replacing the clutch and flywheel, it was back in the shop getting new coil pack, spark plugs, and fuel filter....about 6 months later back to the shop to replace the Oil Pressure Sensor.....Now, they tell me that the Catalitic Coverter is going out but they aren't sure which one?????? And my dash cluster is on the fritz and telling me the tank is empty, I go to fill the tank and it only takes $7.00???? So my questions are, how bad am I going to want to shoot either myself or the mechanic when he tells me how much it will cost me to replace the Catalitic Converter(s) and is the fuel gauge problem the dash cluster or the fuel sensor and would anyone like to buy a 2002 Audi TT??????????
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default another one for ya

Here's another question for you.....After all the mechanics that have looked and worked under the hood of my 2002 Audi TT, not a one of them has caught that the belt flipped.....While unclogging the PCV valve I noticed it.......any suggestions on the best way to get to the belt to flip it back?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlondeMoxie
I bought a 2002 TT last June....One month later, it was in the shop racking up a $1560.00 bill for a clutch and flywheel that for the most part had just crumbled into pieces....Two months after replacing the clutch and flywheel, it was back in the shop getting new coil pack, spark plugs, and fuel filter....about 6 months later back to the shop to replace the Oil Pressure Sensor.....Now, they tell me that the Catalitic Coverter is going out but they aren't sure which one?????? And my dash cluster is on the fritz and telling me the tank is empty, I go to fill the tank and it only takes $7.00???? So my questions are, how bad am I going to want to shoot either myself or the mechanic when he tells me how much it will cost me to replace the Catalitic Converter(s) and is the fuel gauge problem the dash cluster or the fuel sensor and would anyone like to buy a 2002 Audi TT??????????

How many miles, catalytic converters usually go for 120,000 miles or so, it's all one pipe so not sure what your mechanic is talking about? If the gauge agrees with the "miles to empty" in the central display it's the sender. If not it's the gauge (cluster), you can test it with a program called VAG.com. The clusters were subject to a recall long expired.

You can do cheap fixes for this stuff if you DIY, but it doesn't sound like an option.The senders can be cleaned using an pink eraser (believe it or not) just replace $20 of tank seals when you do it. Chevron makes a fuel cleaner that you add to your gas that can sometimes clean the fuel senders. I have used it a couple of times, it's the ethanol in the gas that corrodes the TT fuel senders.

Coil packs were a free recall, sounds like you had the run-around. Clutch at $1560 isn't that bad. That's a huge amount of work on a Quattro.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Boys..on what year TT's were the clusters recalled?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Sounds like the senders need cleaning or replacing. They get corroded (ethanol in the fuel is a culprit). And it's not just Audis. My Ford pickup has this problem.

You can try the "techron fuel system cleaner" trick . Add a couple of bottles of this stuff to a several full tanks of gas. It sometimes cleans up the senders.

Remove both senders and clean with a pink pearl eraser. About half way down the page. If you DIY it's a couple of gaskets.

Poll - Failed Fuel Sending Unit(s) - Page 3 - AudiWorld Forums

FYI: Vag.com is a great piece of software to have if you plan on keeping your car for any length of time. VAG.com can test the cluster for you.
I bought my TT a couple of months ago and the gas gauge was always reading high. After perusing the forum, I tried the Techron fuel system cleaner and it worked! I love easy repairs.