TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

First Audi

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Audi

Hello, I'm a newbie, just bought my mom a 2001 Quattro, I'm interested in any info I can get on owning one of these. She's staying at my house on Xmas eve n I'm gonna put it n the driveway with a bow on it. I love the style of these. Xmas wow factor.

But, I think I messed up,,, I can hear what sounds like the timing belt slapping. Tensioner gone bad??? I know there's prob lots of info a newbie like me is leaving out. But either way,,, I like the car and if she font like it,,,, I'm keepin it. Lol. It also has a bit of a rough idle also. The timing belt n water pump has 65k on it. So yeah,,, I need to change it now huh??? I'm fairly mechanically inclined. However I have been spending all my time doing up my 2006 ford F350 diesel. I rebuild the engine in that in my garage. Here is a very long thread detailing it,,,, 30k views!!!! I'm famous over there,,, lol.

http://m.ford-trucks.com/forums/show....php?t=1194018

I've read over a couple writeups on changing the timing belt n water pump n stuff, and I'm considering going it myself. But I ask you guys,,, what are the essentials for owning a tt?? Which service manual to get,,,, diagnostic software??? Ect. I've pretty much tackled the 6.0 ford diesel,,, I've got the software, manuals, and experience that is needed to keep me outta the dealers Indefinitely. I am ecstatic about how the tt feels, but I'm done driving it until I get the timing replaced. Any links, or info you all can give a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TT engine is zero tolerance, so if TB breaks or the tensioner fails, the valves will slap into the pistons = major head damage. Do not drive until it is replaced. The TB Tensioner and Water pump need changing at the same time and are usually included in all "good" kits or by good indy mechanics. In the future, change it every 5 yrs or 60k.

TB kit from Dieselgeek is most popular/recommended by the old guys: http://www.dieselgeek.com/Audi_TT_GT...kit_s/1833.htm

If you're going to do a lot of the maintenance, or do the TB, these are essentials in my mind:

Bentley Repair manual (try ebay or amazon)

Timing belt DIY by BlueTTop:
http://public.fotki.com/BlueTTop/mod...t-replacement/

Diagnostic software: VAGCOM from RossTech:
http://www.ross-tech.com/

Join TT forum at quattroworld.com...that's where 99.99% of the old guy TT expertise resides now.

Cheers and congrats on "mom's" new TT.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TTQ2k2

Join TT forum at quattroworld.com...that's where 99.99% of the old guy TT expertise resides now.
Ahem! Yes Anthonyy, that's all good advice and there are multiple 10 yr + owners over on Quattroworld who do their own maintenance and mods. All are very helpful----
"Old guys" huh? :-)
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got on quattroworld, and the setup of the website is not as favorable as this one. Is there a mobile version? Oh well,,, I had an immobilizer issue today,,,, I've got the car at my house and am gonna give it to her Xmas morn,,, of course, she's gonna b thrilled to find out she needs to drive it straight home and not run it hard, cause its getting the timing service done ASAP. But I'm gonna do it n her garage.

But the immobilizer issue,,, the key light was flashing today,,, it started, ran for a sec, then died. I disconnected the batt, waited a while, then reconnected, and used both keys to unlock n lock the doors, and let it set for about 10 mins with the ign on. No go,,, I let it sit for about 5 hrs with the batt connected,,, then I went back out to it,,, no key flashing light!!!! It started fine?!?!? Does vagcom allow reprogramming of the immobilizer??? Is there a fix, even tho it's working now? The gauges are fine, all work, and the pixels are all working fine. I have Autoenginuity, and a scanguage2. But those are for the diesel truck. I haven't even opened the scanguage yet, cause I have an edge programmer on the truck and they don't communicate, so it's gonna b a fixture in the tt.

I've been reading on the tt, but it's gonna take some time to figure out the tips n tricks to being a successful tt owner. I know when newbies show up on the ford forum, us regulars tend to not explain the "basic" mods that every owner should do. If anyone has time, will you walk me through the essential basics I need to do. I found a Bentley service manual on eBay for $75, I'm still researching on the vag software. I could use a wing to fly under for a bit.

Lots of questions huh??? When the immobilizer issue returns,,, how do I fix it? Dealer??? What could have caused it to act up. I didn't disconnect anything after shutting the car off before the immobilizer issue started. Thx all
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Immobilizer is sometimes kind of flaky and will give intermittant codes. I've never had one wait hours to work though. TT clusters are very sensitive to low battery. Check resting voltage before you worry about it. The best advice I can give you is get familiar with the Quattroworld format because most all the mentors you need are there. We like it because of its conversational character and the ability to see posts that you have participated in always at the top till you read them. Most all have used it for so long that THIS format seems cumbersome to us even though it is FAR more commonly used.