TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Convertible rear window becoming unglued...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bur213
After having the same problem with mine and doing research on the net I decided to go with "goop" as it is advertised that it works on fabric and glass. First I reglued the fabric strip back onto the window and held it in place to dry with clothes pins. Then I glued the fabric to fabric and glass with another application of goop.
First I released the top to reduce the tension on the window. I then applied the goop and held it in place with with a thick clear tape(not duct tape as it will leave a residue) I applied the glue on the outside first and it let it dry for 24hrs. then I re-applied the goop on the iside of the rear window. I was able to stuff furniture pillows in the back to keep pressure on the seams.
So far it's holding up although I haven't tried putting the top down yet. I live in Fla. and it's been extreemely hot and that hasn't had any effect on the glue job! The glue dries clear and I was able to use a razor blade on the outside of the window to clean up the over flow. The job looks almost 100% perfect.
Did the same exact thing! Window is perfect no leaks. Took it an extra step and on the outside put a nice bead of black silicone. Ran my finger through it to get a nice flush look and then took razor and cleaned it up. U can do it fast and sloppy or take ur time and make it look professional. It's all up to you.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by carusoa1986
mine completely came off lol... i pulled the whole top off the car and glued it back together using uv5200. You can find it at any marine supply store and some hardware. it's less than 20 bucks for a caulking gun size tube and works wonderful. its water proof and glues pretty much anything to anything. its held up great so far. 2 months and counting and i put the top down almost everyday. i live in south east nc it rains every other day and the its 95 degrees everyday. only draw back i found was set time is 24 hours and cure time is 7 days. also it comes in black sorry the rant.
I have the same promlem. What has been the long term out come
thanks
Larry
Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 2002 TT Roadster Convertible Window repair

Originally Posted by Mbaron
just fixed mine with 3M 08609
After reading many posts on this subject of folks using Gorilla Glue, Rhino Glue, JB Weld and other adhesives, I decided to use 3M 08609. After the 24 hour indoor cure it seems very secure and looks professional. If it does not last at least a few years I will be surprised.

Tips:
Use gloves
Use a razor blade to remove the old adhesive from the window
Cut some dowels or other scrap wood to hold up the window from the inside, not too much pressure.
Use Acetone on window and top prior to applying 3M 08609
Others recommend using 3M adhesive primer before 08609 application, I chose not to
Check the inside of top near the window for any canvas coming loose and apply adhesive during the outside repair
Take the opportunity to apply Raggtopp protectant to the entire top after repair
Old 07-06-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Having the same problem but one to replace the canvas roof on my 2008 Audi TT Roadster Quattro does anybody know where I can purchase just the canvas top with the window have called the dealer and they said there's no aftermarket parts for it could somebody lead me in the right direction for aftermarket parts
Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just recently bought a 2012 S5 Cabriolet and the fabric top is separating from the back glass. The Audi dealership told me $7k to put in a new top - OUCH! I call the best upholstery place in Dallas and they said replacing was the best option. I read all the posts on here but 4 yrs seems a bit early to have this happen - yes the manufacturer warranty has expired and the extended warranty only covers mechanical. Has anyone had any luck calling Audi for assistance with replace the top?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Doesn't work

Originally Posted by PJSalerno2
After reading many posts on this subject of folks using Gorilla Glue, Rhino Glue, JB Weld and other adhesives, I decided to use 3M 08609. After the 24 hour indoor cure it seems very secure and looks professional. If it does not last at least a few years I will be surprised.

Tips:
Use gloves
Use a razor blade to remove the old adhesive from the window
Cut some dowels or other scrap wood to hold up the window from the inside, not too much pressure.
Use Acetone on window and top prior to applying 3M 08609
Others recommend using 3M adhesive primer before 08609 application, I chose not to
Check the inside of top near the window for any canvas coming loose and apply adhesive during the outside repair
Take the opportunity to apply Raggtopp protectant to the entire top after repair
This sounded really good. However, it didn't work at ALL. Did everything very carefully. Let it dry 24 hours. It didn't stick at all. I could have used toothpaste! Now, I have this ugly black glue on my tan top, and it is probably worse. Still looking for a fix....
Old 02-08-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixing my window now

Originally Posted by bur213
After having the same problem with mine and doing research on the net I decided to go with "goop" as it is advertised that it works on fabric and glass. First I reglued the fabric strip back onto the window and held it in place to dry with clothes pins. Then I glued the fabric to fabric and glass with another application of goop.
First I released the top to reduce the tension on the window. I then applied the goop and held it in place with with a thick clear tape(not duct tape as it will leave a residue) I applied the glue on the outside first and it let it dry for 24hrs. then I re-applied the goop on the iside of the rear window. I was able to stuff furniture pillows in the back to keep pressure on the seams.
So far it's holding up although I haven't tried putting the top down yet. I live in Fla. and it's been extreemely hot and that hasn't had any effect on the glue job! The glue dries clear and I was able to use a razor blade on the outside of the window to clean up the over flow. The job looks almost 100% perfect.
Fixing my top now, picked up a low mile 02/225 all the usual suspects, door tops (i will be doing a post / tutorial on that repair as soon as complete) also the ol' 1st/2nd shift fork issue. I decided after reading a lot, talking with auto glass people, knowledgeable people I decided to do the job once and for all, I employed the above method with a few exceptions. First remove the rear window. then Cleaned bare window, cleaned inside canvas of previous unsuccessful attempts, wire wheel on drill works well if you don't go crazy. used the clothes pins to hold strips to the glass using masterseal NP1 (aka poor man's 5200) very important to brush the sealant / adhesive over entire area being glued. I wet as far as using popsicle sticks to distribute pressure from the clothes pins. Also I reglued the hem around the opening, let everything dry and cure. Installing the window I chose to glue the bottom first, again brushing the adhesive for 100% coverage on the fabric strips glued to the window. Holding the window up with wood helped (don't use your wife's pillows) I then used really strong magnets to clamp the strips to the canvas. This allowed for slight adjustments in placement, top fully up for bottom edge. For the top edge I released the latch on top to loosen the fabric. Again brushing adhesive and using magnets as clamps. Between magnets it is important to use a putty knife to apply pressure for a good bond. Let it set and cure properly. Last 2 steps can done together after curing. Before relatching the top apply adhesive to sides, mask off the outside of the canvas right at the hem, then relatch the top pulling sides tight and clamp strips again with magnets. Mask the window approx. 1/8 inch from canvas. Apply sealant / adhesive between glass & canvas as well as a nice bead around sealing the glass & canvas. Smooth the bead with finger, you can use method of choice for smoothing and finishing, I use wd40 on my finger. When it looks good pull the tape straight back against itself while still wet, this will allow sealant to settle back in for a leak proof clean finished look. For some reason I can't get pics to attach.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Motomorrelli
Fixing my top now, picked up a low mile 02/225 all the usual suspects, door tops (i will be doing a post / tutorial on that repair as soon as complete) also the ol' 1st/2nd shift fork issue. I decided after reading a lot, talking with auto glass people, knowledgeable people I decided to do the job once and for all, I employed the above method with a few exceptions. First remove the rear window. then Cleaned bare window, cleaned inside canvas of previous unsuccessful attempts, wire wheel on drill works well if you don't go crazy. used the clothes pins to hold strips to the glass using masterseal NP1 (aka poor man's 5200) very important to brush the sealant / adhesive over entire area being glued. I wet as far as using popsicle sticks to distribute pressure from the clothes pins. Also I reglued the hem around the opening, let everything dry and cure. Installing the window I chose to glue the bottom first, again brushing the adhesive for 100% coverage on the fabric strips glued to the window. Holding the window up with wood helped (don't use your wife's pillows) I then used really strong magnets to clamp the strips to the canvas. This allowed for slight adjustments in placement, top fully up for bottom edge. For the top edge I released the latch on top to loosen the fabric. Again brushing adhesive and using magnets as clamps. Between magnets it is important to use a putty knife to apply pressure for a good bond. Let it set and cure properly. Last 2 steps can done together after curing. Before relatching the top apply adhesive to sides, mask off the outside of the canvas right at the hem, then relatch the top pulling sides tight and clamp strips again with magnets. Mask the window approx. 1/8 inch from canvas. Apply sealant / adhesive between glass & canvas as well as a nice bead around sealing the glass & canvas. Smooth the bead with finger, you can use method of choice for smoothing and finishing, I use wd40 on my finger. When it looks good pull the tape straight back against itself while still wet, this will allow sealant to settle back in for a leak proof clean finished look. For some reason I can't get pics to attach.

Pic?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by germintor
After 9 years, the lower right corner of the rear convertible top window is becoming unglued. This seems to be localized to that corner area only, and the top is otherwise in perfect conditions. I do not want to replace the whole top right now, and I would rather attempt a repair.

I have searched the forums and found three postings on the subject. One recommends the following two adhesives:
3M 1300L
Bostik 2402

Anyone has a suggestion or can recommend an appropriate adhesive?

TIA
I fixed mine - which had completely fallen out - with Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive. Have to be careful to wipe up any overspread when sealing the top against the glass - but in over 8 years it shows no signs of failing again!
The following users liked this post:
Mk1e (09-07-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh. I just bought a 2002 a week ago and one corner was coming unglued, as well as maybe a 6 inch long area at the top middle. I've ordered clamps and Rhino glue, which some swear by, apparently, but I had to run it around town to get new tires, get re-inspected, etc, and of course it's 99 degrees in Maryland today. The glass completely fell out. Then I went to disconnect the lead for the defog, and found a 4 inch wire with nothing attached.

I had found a thread earlier where people were giving suggestions of new tops, one of which was very good for only around $500 (plus whatever for installation). Looking for that thread now, in case my repair goes poorly. I also will continue looking for more step-by-step instructions, particularly for removing the original failing adhesive.It seems I have a pretty sticky mess on my hands right now, with adhesive on the glass, on the top, and on a 1" wide strip of top material which went on the inside of the top, that lays half on the glass and half on the top.

I guess I'll order another 6 clamps and see if I can get this thing to stay in.

Quick Reply: Convertible rear window becoming unglued...