TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Car Bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prefer the look of the bra ....

If you're diligent about regular removal and cleaning and can keep the car in a garage when not in use you can avoid the paint fade and damage issues. I have the Colgin Bra and mirror covers on mine and prefer them.
Old 02-20-2001, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For the COBOL Dinosaurs....

IF GIRL = BRALESS
PERFORM OGLE
VARYING POSITION FROM 1 BY 1
UNTIL POSITION = 69
OR STAMINA = EXHAUSTED.
Old 02-20-2001, 01:29 PM

Default With care, bra should help, not hurt ...

Have had one on my raddo for about 18 months, only take it off to wash the car, it's fine. Make sure there's no dirt inside when you put it on and the car is dry. Not recommended for brand-new paint. The TT is now 6 months old and after noticing the first 2 paint chips in front, I got the Audi bra for it. It fits like it was painted on, very well designed and executed. No flap on top to ruin the lines of the car, either. I guess paople who don't like them don't have a 70-mile commute to work in heavy SUV traffic over roads constantly under construction. Either that or they don't mind having the front ends of their cars painted every year. BTW, the Audi bra comes with "mittens" for the side mirrors. Looks better than it sounds! Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2001, 02:02 PM
tks

Default Depending on where you live, using a bra (clear or regular) is prudent...

I used to live in Nebraska and they dump sand (gravel) on streets all winter long and its residue lingers for many months. I finally bought the Audi bra to minimize the chips that were multipling on my front end. Since relocating to Southern California, I haven't noticed a need to use it. Regardless, if you get one keep it clean.
Old 02-20-2001, 02:25 PM

Default Basic on my Apple 2E went something like

01 Girl Braless
02 etc.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am looking for a bra for my 2014 Audi TT. Any leads????
Old 03-17-2024, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

What kind? As was previously posted, bras made of material and strapped to the front will rub and ruin your finish. There have been great improvement in clearbras since this thread was first posted with many manufacturers offering 10 year or lifetime warranties that their material will not discolor or peel. Several bra material manufacturers products are "self'-healing" so that dents or nicks in the material are not permanent. Most folks in the industry think that XPel and SunTek are the best.
Both of my Mk 1 TTs were Lake Silver and the paint finish seemed to hold up well to chips without the need for a clearbra. I don't know if it was the fact that the light color paint didn't show chips and/or the underlying metal/plastic was robust. My Mk 2 had an all-aluminum body instead of the Mk 1 Stainless steel, plus the paint was a dark Scuba Blue. After a year, my front end looked like it was hit by several shotgun blasts. I had it re-sprayed and bought XPel clearbra. I had the car 6 more years and was very pleased. My Mk 3 is Glacier White and I installed Xpel immediately.
After you select material, you have to choose the bra style; bikini, full front, and full body. Bikini is the least expensive. It covers the vertical portions of the front end and typically goes back to about 18" on the front of the hood and then down both side fenders so that the forward facing fender wells are covered. For about double the price of the bikini you can get a full front that covers the entire hood and both front fenders. Double the cost again and you can get the whole car done. I have always done the bikini because chips beyond the 18" are very rare. The only downside of the bikini is that you can see the line where the clearbra ends in certain light/viewing angles which some people hate. Personally, for the price of a full front and for less cost than a full body, you can get your TT vinyl wrapped in a new color.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
What kind? As was previously posted, bras made of material and strapped to the front will rub and ruin your finish. There have been great improvement in clearbras since this thread was first posted with many manufacturers offering 10 year or lifetime warranties that their material will not discolor or peel. Several bra material manufacturers products are "self'-healing" so that dents or nicks in the material are not permanent. Most folks in the industry think that XPel and SunTek are the best.
Both of my Mk 1 TTs were Lake Silver and the paint finish seemed to hold up well to chips without the need for a clearbra. I don't know if it was the fact that the light color paint didn't show chips and/or the underlying metal/plastic was robust. My Mk 2 had an all-aluminum body instead of the Mk 1 Stainless steel, plus the paint was a dark Scuba Blue. After a year, my front end looked like it was hit by several shotgun blasts. I had it re-sprayed and bought XPel clearbra. I had the car 6 more years and was very pleased. My Mk 3 is Glacier White and I installed Xpel immediately.
After you select material, you have to choose the bra style; bikini, full front, and full body. Bikini is the least expensive. It covers the vertical portions of the front end and typically goes back to about 18" on the front of the hood and then down both side fenders so that the forward facing fender wells are covered. For about double the price of the bikini you can get a full front that covers the entire hood and both front fenders. Double the cost again and you can get the whole car done. I have always done the bikini because chips beyond the 18" are very rare. The only downside of the bikini is that you can see the line where the clearbra ends in certain light/viewing angles which some people hate. Personally, for the price of a full front and for less cost than a full body, you can get your TT vinyl wrapped in a new color.

Hi,

I just joined this Forum yesterday. We are moving from CA to TN mid May. We are going to tow my TT behind a UHaul truck. I did not want the truck tires kicking up tiny pieces of rock and gravelon my TT during the 1800 mile road trip. I know bras for cars are not too popular anymore, but I wanted to reach out and see.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2024, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BasoreAudi
Hi,

I just joined this Forum yesterday. We are moving from CA to TN mid May. We are going to tow my TT behind a UHaul truck. I did not want the truck tires kicking up tiny pieces of rock and gravelon my TT during the 1800 mile road trip. I know bras for cars are not too popular anymore, but I wanted to reach out and see.

Thanks
That's about 2,000 miles of rubbing of material against paint in the swirling air behind the truck. I would not use a material bra and take my chances. If the car is on a tow trailer, the car may be above the rock zone of the tires. Alternatives would be to place a screen on the trailer in front of the car and/or put the car on the trailer backwards.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cover the nose with blue painter's tape, works in a pinch.