TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Can I convert my TT from FWD to RWD ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I convert my TT from FWD to RWD ???

Dear all,

I have a TT 2001 roadster 1.8T engine 180 hp. I would like to know if it can be done, to convert the car from FWD to RWD, would it be perhaps by installing the quattro's differential and disabling the front axles ? I need some help regarding this issue, if anyone went through this before please msg me or reply with your suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sn4k3d
Dear all,

I have a TT 2001 roadster 1.8T engine 180 hp. I would like to know if it can be done, to convert the car from FWD to RWD, would it be perhaps by installing the quattro's differential and disabling the front axles ? I need some help regarding this issue, if anyone went through this before please msg me or reply with your suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
You want to make transverse engined FWD car with a Haldex partime AWD into a permanent RWD?

LOL! That has got to be one of the stupidest thing I have ever heard,obviously you know very little about cars in general.

If you have a TT sell it and buy a BMW 135.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My friend, if i am a professional i wouldnt be asking all the way from the beginning, IS IT POSSIBLE ? this is my question without changing the engine !
Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

is it possible or not ? i`ve seen some audis done that but not TTs
Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

ANYTHING is possible...with enough money.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Not readily. A lot of mechanical differences between Quattro and Front-Trac.

Is it possible? Certainly: Smokey Yunick said all it takes is cubic dolalrs.

But what is your purpose? Because you can? If so, spend away. If it's to get RWD becuase you dislike FWD, trade it for a Quattro, or better yet, move on to a BMW or Lexus. ANYTHING is possible, including a second shooter in Dallas.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend, if i am a professional i wouldnt be asking all the way from the beginning, IS IT POSSIBLE ? this is my question without changing the engine !
Like someone else said anything is possible.

TT setup does not support a rear wheel drive configuration.

If you look in the marketplace there are no front engined transversely mounted rear wheel drive cars.

Every front engined rear wheel drive has its engine mounted longitudinally.The only front engine rear wheel drive car that VAG builds is a Bentley.

If your car was a Quattro you could get a Race Haldex Controller (blue or orange) which gives the car more of a rear bias. But converting a FWD to AWD is probably not cost effective.

Normally Audi floorpans are completely different between AWD and FWD so you would need a welding torch.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dear all,

Thanks a lot.
This is not the same setup as an evo or STi. Im basing my response based on that. Those cars are RWD biased. They have a drive shaft going to the rear wheels powered all the time where as ours goes through a different setup all together.

are you trying to create a drift car? thats the only concievable reason i can understand going from AWD to RWD.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default RWD TT

Yes and it has been done. Someone put a 2.7 twin turbo in the car and ran a RWD setup. I've seen the car and it was very clean an well done. Must have cost a ton though. There is a guy on an other forum that is at 500 wheel HP in a roadster biased 50/50 on power.

Before you commit to that, check out the HPA website and look at what they can for a 3.2 6 cylinder car. The Haldex controller can be reprogrammed to change the bias.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It is a FWD not a quattro

Quick Reply: Can I convert my TT from FWD to RWD ???