TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

After 4 years I'm back!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 4 years I'm back!!

Chalk up another Canadian buying a car in the US. Snagged up an '05 3.2 in Dolomite and other than a few scratches on the surface here and there I'm glad to be back in a TT.

That being said a lot has changed in 4 years and I'm curious about a couple of things (mainly music stuff since going from a car with MP3 CD to one with a regular CD, I think it's fair to say I may shoot myself).

I've got the iPhone 3G and I'm looking for a solution that would allow me to charge the phone as well as use the output from the phone into the stereo. Is there something that plugs into the SAT part or is it only the CD Changer? I noticed the OEM one is limited to 6 playlists and 99 mp3s per playlist. Also noticed that it just calls it "Track 55" for example...

Anyone out there running a 3G with some sort of iPod dock? I do have an old iPod, but it's a lot harder to see the screen while driving.

Second question is I've got some squeeking noises in the trunk area... I shot all kinds of silicone spray between the "fabric" area and the truck to help it out... Not so much... I know that TTs are notorious for the squeeks, but has anyone figured out a fool proof way to axe them for good?

Thanks in advance, and it's damn nice to be back here
Old 08-19-2008, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

welcome back......if it makes you feel better,Ive still got the am-fm cassette.....;-)
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hi, welcome back!

I'm Kenni and I just got mine last year, so we haven't spoken before.

someone did a write up about doing something with the tabs in the trunk to fix squeaking, but I forget who and where I saw it :-\ I'm sure you'll find it or someone will point it out.

I've got a 3G as well, but I don't know of any custom mount other than the Dice, which is what you're talking about I think. For MP3, there have been a few people who did a 3.5mm Aux input jack into replacing the CDchanger input (or soldering in a toggle switch). Someone else hooked up a bluetooth module to play through the speakers and just synced up (and there are a few stereo bluetooth adapters now for iPhone).

Okay I've babbled enough without having said anything, so welcome back!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ask Dr. Schwing.....
Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Squeaking in the back..>>

Is usualy the parcel shelf. Remove it or pry it apart and slather with silicone.

If the Lid, retension the latch and readjust the corner bumpers

if the Hatch inner panel, try the fix below.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1159115.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1159115.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Re: ask Dr. Schwing.....

It was actually really cool to see that you and Schwing still post here.

The DICE module thing does look pretty good on paper, but I am very curious on how it actually functions.

This 1 CD thing is driving me bananas. (not as much as hearing the damn squeeks though)
Old 08-19-2008, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Only a few of us oldtimers left....:-)

Wow! You missed the invention of the VTDA, My TT sale and a ton of other stuff!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Default From outside the car I can push down on the spoiler and

that will re-create the "squeek" (not a rattle, think Simpsons when the hotel guy tells homer about all the things he'll do when he's got Marge in the bed. The "Reeky reeky" part.)

I also notice that if I shift around in the front seat a bit I'm hearing some squeeks. Something tells me the previous owner didn't care too much about the details.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default OK...That's pretty easy..>>

Sounds a lot like sway bar bushings....
To lube correctly you really need to pull the brackets off but that's not a huge job...

You can try spraying them with a silicone lube first to see if the noise goes away...Temporary fix though!

Better yet, put a 19mm sway bar on with poly bushings!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Default "not a huge job" --- lol, I'm a pretty big n00b. I installed a sub to the BOSE

deck on my old TT, that's how far I went with mods.

I don't even know where or what sway bar bushings are.

I mean I'm assuming you're right in all of this, but inside the car and outside when I push down on the spoiler it sounds like it's right under that.

I'd be curious to try the latch tightening thing that you mentioned in the other thread, but is there some special tool I need or how can I tighten the thing?

Quick Reply: After 4 years I'm back!!