TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 TT Quattro 225hp Manual trans.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 TT Quattro 225hp Manual trans.

Hello. Just joined this forum. I am looking at the above. Car drives well and seems to be in good shape. 90,000 miles. One issue is that the unit needs replaced that contains the tach and fuel gauge. (they do not work) The seller says I can get one on Ebay for around $300.00. He says one from the Audi dealer will cost about 3 times more.
Technically, I do not know what this unit is called, and I would not be able to install it myself. Anyone know?
Secondly, he said the timing chain (or belt) needs replaced at 105k miles. Any information on what that might cost? I will call my local Audi dealer as well.
Also, are there any common issues for this car I should be aware of? Thanks to all.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a favour and search as many forums as you can find for "Buyers Guides". Firstly, you cannot just replace the dash with one from ebay. It needs to be programmed. Best option is to get the original one repaired. Plenty of companies do this and there's plenty of how to's on the net regarding removal. I was quoted $AU1300 to replace the timing belt. I did it myself for 400aprox using instructions off the net. I bought the parts from
http://www.dieselgeek.com/Audi_TT_GT...lt_Kit_p/x.htm
Check this web page as well for lots of usefull info.
http://www.wak-tt.com/

Cheers.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D'oh!! Just saw this a few threads down. Exactly what I used to do mine. Same kit, same instructions.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1961739

Cheers.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpowell
Hello. Just joined this forum. I am looking at the above. Car drives well and seems to be in good shape. 90,000 miles. One issue is that the unit needs replaced that contains the tach and fuel gauge. (they do not work) The seller says I can get one on Ebay for around $300.00. He says one from the Audi dealer will cost about 3 times more.
Technically, I do not know what this unit is called, and I would not be able to install it myself. Anyone know?
Secondly, he said the timing chain (or belt) needs replaced at 105k miles. Any information on what that might cost? I will call my local Audi dealer as well.
Also, are there any common issues for this car I should be aware of? Thanks to all.
On a 2001, you can't just replace the cluster, the immobilizer is coded to the cluster so the car won't start. You would have to flat-bed it to the dealer to have all the keys reprogrammed.

There are companies like Module Master in Idaho who will repair the original cluster for a more reasonable amount.They are a very reputable company. This overcomes the immobilizer issue. However you have to ship it to them and of course the car is off the road until it is returned. It's about 20 minutes to remove the cluster.Instructions on how to on their website.

Gas gauge is not always the cluster, it's quite often the tank sender(s) contaminated by Ethanol . If the miles to empty in the info display agrees with the gauge it's the senders. You can clean them if you DIY (that's what I did) but a shop will always want to replace them.About $1000.

Timing belt is officially 105,000 miles but they often fail at way less than that and if it does the broken motor is all on you.

If it's original it's 12 years old replace it immediately . Belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, don't leave anything out. $800-1500.

I bought my car at 78,000 miles, changed the belt the next day. The belt was barely hanging on and probably wouldn't have lasted 500 miles.

The 4wd drive system is Haldex and needs draining and filling every 40kmiles
New clutch $2500 (the only job I didn't tackle myself) $$$ dual mass flywheel . Airbag clockspring and steering angle sensor (all one piece) $400 (dealer $700)

Ouch.

I recently sold my TT, I did 99% of the maintenance but after 4 Audis I finally quit.

It all adds up and if you are not a DIYer , and you don't have deep pockets this might not be the car for you.

TT is a great car, awesome to drive but overly complicated.

Last edited by AudiMick; 07-21-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by CRU57Y
Do yourself a favour and search as many forums as you can find for "Buyers Guides". Firstly, you cannot just replace the dash with one from ebay. It needs to be programmed. Best option is to get the original one repaired. Plenty of companies do this and there's plenty of how to's on the net regarding removal. I was quoted $AU1300 to replace the timing belt. I did it myself for 400aprox using instructions off the net. I bought the parts from

Cheers.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi tt

Originally Posted by CRU57Y

Cheers.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi tt

Originally Posted by AudiMick
On a 2001, you can't just replace the cluster, the immobilizer is coded to the cluster so the car won't start. You would have to flat-bed it to the dealer to have all the keys reprogrammed.

There are companies like Module Master in Idaho who will repair the original cluster for a more reasonable amount.They are a very reputable company. This overcomes the immobilizer issue. However you have to ship it to them and of course the car is off the road until it is returned. It's about 20 minutes to remove the cluster.Instructions on how to on their website.

Gas gauge is not always the cluster, it's quite often the tank sender(s) contaminated by Ethanol . If the miles to empty in the info display agrees with the gauge it's the senders. You can clean them if you DIY (that's what I did) but a shop will always want to replace them.About $1000.

Timing belt is officially 105,000 miles but they often fail at way less than that and if it does the broken motor is all on you.

If it's original it's 12 years old replace it immediately . Belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, don't leave anything out. $800-1500.

I bought my car at 78,000 miles, changed the belt the next day. The belt was barely hanging on and probably wouldn't have lasted 500 miles.

The 4wd drive system is Haldex and needs draining and filling every 40kmiles
New clutch $2500 (the only job I didn't tackle myself) $$$ dual mass flywheel . Airbag clockspring and steering angle sensor (all one piece) $400 (dealer $700)

Ouch.

I recently sold my TT, I did 99% of the maintenance but after 4 Audis I finally quit.

It all adds up and if you are not a DIYer , and you don't have deep pockets this might not be the car for you.

TT is a great car, awesome to drive but overly complicated.
Thanks, Appreciate the info. Do you have an opinion on the Nissan 350Z? I like this Audi. Just not interested in pumping mucho money into it.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2001 Quattro tt

Thank you for the input so far. Please bring it on if you have additional information. The good, the not so good, and the somewhat ugly. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpowell
Thanks, Appreciate the info. Do you have an opinion on the Nissan 350Z? I like this Audi. Just not interested in pumping mucho money into it.
As for the 350Z the one thing I will say is people who own them don't own them for very long or don't drive them much.

I know three people who owned a 350Z for less than a year. The fourth has put less than 5,000 miles in 3 years.

I don't know why this is I know they have a reputation for destroying tires and the VVT making noise.

Folks hang on the G35 coupe a lot longer (same car underneath).
Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Audi 225 Quattro will also eat up tires pretty fast as the Haldex awd can promote cupping of the tires. I bought my 04 225 roadster with 106km's on it.It looked in great shape and had been sitting for quite some time. New tires timing belt water pump haldex service all the preventative stuff I sprung for. Put a few mods on it like APR chip Borla Exhaust & APR diverter valve. Quite alot of coin invested then my shifter fork broke in the tranny. Had the clutch & flywheel replaced at the same time as it was worn (after the dealer I bought it from told me it had recently been replaced.) Then I had front stabilizer bushings replaced & a cv joint repaired. All within 4 months. Had I known I would have stayed clear. This car has been a huge money pit. My fault for not being more careful when I bought it. That being said I love the car when it is running right.I call it the "other woman" because you love it but it makes you pay. LOL

Quick Reply: 2001 TT Quattro 225hp Manual trans.