Extended Auto Warranty - Extra $100 discount...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 01:08 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Auto Warranty - Extra $100 discount...

I just bought an extended warranty from <a href="http://www.extendedautowarrantycorp.com/">extendedautowarrantycorp.com</a>. They were among the more competitive companies ratewise for the S4 (even now after they just raised their rates). I was able to get a $100 discount (or a free $0 deductible) for us as president of a chapter of Audi Car Club NA. To get this discount, speak to Ed Clark and mention my name (Lance Pace). Ed Clark can be reached at (888) 338-1218, x3480. I went with the Supreme Plus coverage for 4 yrs/48,000 miles from today (I've got 49,900 on my S4). They also have a bumper-to-bumper plan but it is several hundred dollars more.

FYI, I did a little background checking on the company and was <i>personally</i> satisfied (although I was not overly impressed) with the results, including the complaints registered against them with the Better Business Bureau, and their reinsurer, Capital Assurance Risk Reinsurance Group, Inc. (unfortunately a new company licensed in S.C. but also itself reinsured by Hanover according to a conversation I had).
Old 08-30-2002, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's their policy on damage caused by aftermarket parts? ala stage3 for a4/s4?

$1699.00 SUPREME PLUS PROTECTION PLAN on 4 Years / 48,000 Miles for the a4 1.8tqm.

not too bad if they hold up their end of the bargain.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:01 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default I don't think it's wise to bring that up...

...and if the damage was caused by an aftermarket part I wouldn't be making a claim for it, and hope that other people wouldn't be either. Of course, I don't think I've done anything to my car with aftermarket parts that has caused any damage, but I suppose that waits to be seen. There are just some questions that shouldn't be asked and some issues that don't need to be needlessly hashed out.

Turns it out it is technically excluded by the contract after reading it. Still I think volunteering the information that your car has been modified in any form is a good way for them to refuse coverage from the get go.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:43 PM

Default i had to ask. =)

i'm straight up with the dealer and they've been nothing but reasonable with me. besides .. it only takes a quick peek under the hood to see the non-oem parts.

i asked because i was told that audi extended would NOT cover me due to my modifications. period. regardless if i had cluster problems or a broken trunk latch. =/

thanks for the info. i'll definitly check it out.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i disagree...

the problem is YOU don't get to decide whether or not damage was caused by an aftermarket part, THEY do. I think it's wise to know what's going to be covered up front. Otherwise, you're just gambling with the $2K+ you spent on the warranty....you could win, or you could lose.

For you guys with heavily modified cars, it might be worthwhile to look into 'hotrod' insurance with someone like J.C. Taylor...don't know if that would cover you though.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:13 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Caveat: Pre-Contract Inspection...

Well, here's what I get for shooting off my mouth without reading a copy of the contract first. I was contacted by an inspector to come take a quick inspection of my car as a condition to my warranty coverage. Anyway, the inspector came out to where I was, took a few photos of the exterior, interior and engine bay, and did a quick check for leaks and then we went for a 2-mile test drive (I drove) where he was essentially checking for weird vibrations, noises, etc. and that the transmission was working properly. That was it; it took less than 10 minutes and I don't see any problems. We were talking about vehicle maintenance and letting the engine warm up, etc. and I told him I stay out of boost (I pointed out the boost gauge in the center vent) until the oil warms up, which he agreed was a good thing. He was pretty cool.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:51 AM

Default Lance, thanks for the info. Quick question though...

when you do need to make a repair/claim, where are you supposed to take the vehicle? Will dealers accept this warranty?
Old 09-09-2002, 09:47 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Supposedly, you take it anywhere you want...

...and payment is made via credit card. That said, I got a copy of the contract and it read something like the following:

<i>In all instances, we will stive to allow you to use the repair facility of your choice; however, we reserve the right to require you to you move your vehicle to our preferred repair facility if we deem it necessary.</i>

It sounds like a cover-your-*** kind of clause to me that hopefully is only used when they have a bona fide problem with a certain shop.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:12 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default First Claim Approved...

...my ABS controller/pump developed a leak, so I took it into the dealer for replacement. Replacement of it was approved (note that the language of my contract provides coverage for the ABS computer, but nothing else described as ABS), but the warranty will not pay for diagnostic time (I knew this going in) or sales tax (kind of chincy IMO; WarrantyGold and other warranty companies pay for that -- I might decide to challenge them on it once my claim is paid). The dealer handled the approval for me; no problems AFAIK. All in all, over $1200 I don't have to pay for, and my warranty has now paid for 3/4ths of its cost.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:59 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Second claim approved...

...they paid for the replacement of my MAF sensor back in May, plus over an hour's labor at my shop's (Mr. APR Houston did the work) rates for the book diagnostic and replacement time. Unfortunately, a minor leak at the rear main seal was not covered (it was not listed as a covered item though -- I was mistaken in thinking it was). Also a few months ago, I had a power steering hose/line rupture that cost me a few hundred at the stealership for a repair and that was not covered by my "listed item" plan since it was a hose.

Quick Reply: Extended Auto Warranty - Extra $100 discount...