Telematics Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink retrofit issue

Old 11-23-2013, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Homelink retrofit issue

I've recently carried out a retrofit of the OEM Homelink parts into an R8 Spyder and am having some issues.

I'm hoping someone here has performed the retrofit on an Audi and can assist - the backlighting works fine on the Homelink buttons and both the control unit (J530) and operating unit (E284) are seeing both power and ground.

The issue is that when I push any of the Homelink buttons the little LED in the control unit does not light up. I have tried doing a reset (holding I and III for 20+ seconds) but still the little LED does not light up.

I have two sets of the parts and am encountering the same issue with both so am comfortable ruling out faulty parts.

Wiring was carried out per the ElsaWin wiring diagram so again I am fairly comfortable that the wiring is good.

Anyone have any ideas?

Is there any coding required on the Central Electronics Control Module (CECM)/BCM?

There is nothing obvious in either the long coding helper or any of the adaptation channels so I am at a bit of a loss!

Any help appreciated.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW I have resolved the issue with the help of a friend.

Turned out the wiring harness was the problem - that's about 3 hours of my life (plus a few grey hairs) that I'll never get back. Thanks Kufatec... :-(

While all wires were in the correct position on the retrofit harness (and had been checked by me several times over), and the correct connections had been made, there was a fault at the connector to the control unit (J530) whereby the wire that runs between the control unit and operating unit wasn't properly secured/seated. Wasn't immediately apparent and all other wires (power, ground, backlight illumination etc) had been checked many times over and properly tested.