Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Had coilovers put on the car ~ 2 months ago. I was adjusting ride height last night... TIA.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had coilovers put on the car ~ 2 months ago. I was adjusting ride height last night... TIA.

and noticed that the two front coilovers needs two different perch settings to achieve the same fender ride height, is this normal? For example, to have my front fender ride height of 25.75", the LF/Driver has 5.0" of the threads showing below the perch and the RF/Passager has 4.0" of the threads showing below the perch. The car is my daily driver and I am usually by myself in the car, is this difference due to the suspension settling? And can I expect the RF to settle more with time? And finally, is having the same ride height more important or having the same setting more important from the handling POV? TIA
Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 inch difference in perch height seems like a lot IMO.

depending on the spring rate, 1 inch is ~300 lbs delta in tire loading from left to right. This in turn will transfer to an inbalance on the rear tires as well. Make sure that when you measure the fender (wheel arch) height that your car is on an extremly flat surface so that there is no uneven tire loading caused from the shape of the ground.
Your best bet IMO is to have a reputable shop corner balance your car. This will get the weight distributed as evenly as possible with your weight simulated in the drivers seat.

hope that helps
Old 06-17-2007, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Took your advise and had the car corner balanced and suspensions set...

As it turns out, my garage floor is more slanted than I thought. Anyway, now there is only 0.25" difference in the front. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it worked out and thanks for the update