Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Have to say I am very happy with susp. - Questions inside for Stasis cent. rear diff owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to say I am very happy with susp. - Questions inside for Stasis cent. rear diff owners

1st what I run:
- KW variant 3 coilovers
- Alcon 13" 1 piece rotors free float and stock a4 rears
- H&R front and rear sways
Stasis or CPP pieces
- rear sway links
- front sway links
- front upper CA's
- rear upper CA's
- front lower CA's
- Rear toe links
- RS2 motor and tranny mounts
- DTS
- Stasis center and rear diff.

Car handles like on rails in spirited driving but does have some push beyond limit. Question I have for those running the diffs:
I was playing on an interstate entry ramp in middle of nowhere w/no traffic and entered it about 20mph too hot on purpose to see what it would do. The understeer was obvious, and car was skating due to uneven surface. I stayed in throttle at entry (2nd gear abt 50 -very tight entrance) and when it stayed in understeer I applied throttle (car is running more than 450whp) and the rears broke loose, the front pulled back onto the intended path and I shot out as straight as one could wish for and much quicker than I have ever shot out of a curve. It was amazing, here I was wondering if I was going to waste the car and it pull out like Rohl was driving the car. I can drive a little, but I would have wrinkled some sheetmetal if I didnt have the diffs installed (IMO). For those running these diffs., have you noticed this as being common to the setup. I now feel this car will be hard to crash unless I really go brain dead. Any feedback on this? I wish to know if this is normal or if I just dodged a bullet. Car feels like the diffs do it, but it was the 1st time I went 110% at a tight curve. Any feedback is appreciated.
Rod
Old 05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stassis says this is exactly what it should do, but will take time to find limits.

Which is what I was hoping to hear. Like driving a RWD but with a front assist. I am thinking I still got a bit lucky for the 1st time testing limits. Gotta get some good track time again.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:52 AM

Default When the rears start to break loose, wouldn't the diff then send torque back to the front axle?

Since now the front wheels would have more grip?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not instantly! and possible to still have more traction in a spinning rear than a skating front.

Mech. looks for traction, and it must have been greater in rear thyan front, so I got 80% of torque to rears, which would have caused even more weight (therefore traction) to rear.
I hope this make some sense as it is only way I can describe it!
Rod
Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Better answer.

In this case since the front throws to the rear, which is a 60% lock up diff, as long as one wheel maintains tractin it should stay there. And a spinning tire will have more traction than a skating tire.

Probably a bad explaination, call Stasis
Old 05-15-2007, 04:58 AM

Thanks - I getcha!