Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Clearing the air on our Gran Turismo Kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearing the air on our Gran Turismo Kits

I have been getting a number of questions about the difference between standard Vogtland kits and our Gran Turismo kits that are built by Vogtland.

Here is what I just added to our web site:

StartupRacing exclusive Gran Turismo suspension kits come with custom spring rates, and proper shock valving designed to completely eliminate under steer on B5 cars.

Ride quality remains high, while under steer is banished without the need for a rear roll bar by utilizing a heavier rate rear springs.

Although the springs remain progressive, the working spring rate on our kits is 575 lbs./inch front and 650 lbs./inch rear.

Some people who Autocross these cars will still want a bigger rear sway bar.

These kits will be priced at $1,199, with an introductory price of $1,149. Next large shipment is coming on at the end of March - so please pre-order your kits now.

The best way to distinguish the original Vogtland kits and the new kits is the Gran Turismo sticker on each of the shock bodies.<ul><li><a href="http://www.startupracing.com/B5ProductsSuspension.htm">http://www.startupracing.com/B5ProductsSuspension.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So, what spring rate would you recomend for the B5 S4, when allready equiped with a 19mm rear sway

Dont really do much tracking...and of coarse dont want to make it too stiff
TIA
Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Another Question...What was the original spring rate?

And if you dont mind (I've read up on it but still unsure) can you simplify the meaning of different spring rates???

TIA
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers.

Spring rate, is simply the amount of weight that needs to be placed on a spring to compress it 1.00". That is lbs.per inch. So, 450 lbs per inch spring will compress one inch under 450 lbs of weight.

As your car travels through corners the weight transfers - compressing the springs.

Stiffer springs will reduce body roll, which is nothing else than springs compressing under weight. They can also be used to balance the car. We do that, as stiffer rear spring will make the Audi more balanced with more weight being shifted to the rear in cornering.

Standard Vogtlands use springs in the 550 front and rear range.

Finally, if one already has a rear sway bar - no changes are needed. If you have a BIG 24mm bar, set it to soft at first and see how the car behaves.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks Tomasz...expect a call from me in the next few days!

Let me know when it would be a good time to call you...Being you have a new racer in the family...,...congrats!

TIA
Tim
Old 03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Spring rates...

Standard Vogtlands, SKU 968417:

Progressive Springs, so there is no rate rather a working range. Front 500 to 590, and rear is 440 to 570. I got this from Vogtland directly, and I assume that all other numbers are either typos or mistakes. It could also be that to compress the spring the VERY last inch of compression before it bottoms out the rate is higher - you will never experience that. Working range is all you need.

GT Kits: We also use progressive springs. But we balance the kits out with more rate going to the rear of the car. Front averages out to 575 and rear averages out to 650. I do not want to share the entire working range to protect my product.

If you choose to look at extreme compression numbers so, 670/620 for standard Vogtlands, then our kits are 700/800.

I hope this helps.