Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Suspension Tuning Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning
Sponsored by Ultra Rev
Click Here

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Account #: 79910

Default I wanted to stiffen up the suspension and lower my ride. Can I shave an inch or two from current

springs? Do I need additional materials to make this adjustment.

I've never made any suspension changes before so detailed instruction would be appreciated!

TIA!

99.5 A4 1.8T Quattro
00 A8L Quattro
AudiQmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 85312

Default not safely.

2001.5 Audi S4 6spd, Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, AWE DTS, 710N's, VAST SS, Zoldman O2's, ECS afterrun thermoswitch, Darintake, Vast snub mount, RS4 tranny/motor mounts, Phatbox, ECS magnetic drain plug, VAGCOM mods, foglight mod, GIAC X & Flashloader, Avus wheels painted "Silver Arrow", Neuspeed catback exhaust, Neuspeed 19mm rear swaybar, 35% tint, RS4 grille, Euro headlights, ASP 3" dps w/ test pipes, A-pillar Prosport Performance boost gauge, AWE ICs, DDM 55W HID kit

quickaudi:STFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Account #: 130870

Default agree with quickaudi

There are some good ways to stiffen up the suspension and lower the ride height on your Audi...cutting your stock springs is definitely not one of them. You can buy lowering springs for roughly $250 retail that will do the job nicely. If you want to get more aggressive, for $1500 or so (there is a lot of variation in price depending on exactly what you want) you can buy coilovers which give you many more options for fine-tuning your suspension. Both springs and coilovers, when properly installed, will provide the performance you're looking for without sacrificing safety to achieve it.
dv/dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 52472

Default Problems

1. Your shocks will now be too long, and will bottom out

2. Some springs are progressively wound. Not sure about yours. You may not get the spring rates you expect

3. At best, you are at trial and error

4. If you cut springs, the % by whcih you drop the height and the % by which you increase the spring rate are identical. You may -- in fact probably dont - want that. You might want to increase rate by 30%, while lowering the car by 15%. No can do that way.

Grant
Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
audi, s4, stiffin, suspensin