A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just read about the Alfa 156 at www.alfa156.com. 4 words: Not In My Garage.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-1999, 01:18 PM
GaryJ

Default Just read about the Alfa 156 at www.alfa156.com. 4 words: Not In My Garage.

With all the talk about this car from the Euro Car rags, I had to take a look. Some of the mechanicals sound very interesting, however, the styling didn't appeal to me, and I don't think it would grow on me either.<p>GaryJ
Old 03-15-1999, 02:28 PM
RB

Alfa's are nice, sexy cars. But compared to an A4 I can only say. Alfalfa. nt.
Old 03-15-1999, 02:47 PM
igor

Default Oh cmon now ...

every car enthusiast should own one Italian car in their lifetime. It is a truly unique love-hate relationship that develops, and as long as you don't plan on staying with it forever it is entertaining. I had a Fiat 124 Spyder during college and it helped me build a lot of character. Of course, Alfa and Fiat wisely withdrew from the US when everyone else on the globe (Brits excepted) figured out how to make reliable cars that were fun to drive. But if there was a way for them to make a small-scale reentry via Ferrari dealerships, I would love to test drive a 156 and a Spyder and perhaps lease one of them for 2 years (no more).
Old 03-15-1999, 02:58 PM
Tom

Alfa 156 is a very sexy car. It have Ferrari-like engine sound, rev-happy twin spark motors, sharp Italian handling and a distinctive personality. Tough to understand why you dislike it!!!
Old 03-15-1999, 04:20 PM
GaryJ

Basically it's styling. I love the 105 and 116, but this car and the integra-look-alike (current) GTV have gone in the wrong direction IMHO.
Old 03-15-1999, 11:35 PM
mkc

Default Re: Just read about the Alfa 156 at www.alfa156.com. 4 words: Not In My Garage.

Alfa styling is usually different and very good. Unfortunately, reliabilty sucks.
Old 03-16-1999, 07:22 AM
GusS

Default The 156 styling has grown on me. It's laden with clever little details such as..

the rear door handles positioned behind the rear windows to give the 4 door sedan a faux coupe look. Now, if you want to see what an ugly Alfa looks like, check out the new 166. The front end is a complete disaster.
Old 03-16-1999, 07:31 AM
GusS

Default Here's what I'm talking about (pic)

/
Old 03-16-1999, 08:51 AM
Enzo

Default If Alfa still sold in the U.S., I would not be driving an A4.........

Don't get me wrong, my wife and I love our A4, but as an Alfa owner there are certain qualities that make an Alfa endearing, and which the A4 lacks.<p>The A4 is a very capable vehicle and one can explore those capabilities without raising an eyebrow. It's that fact that bother's me about the A4. All of the capability is within the car itself and requires little from the driver. <p>I prefer to be rewarded for my participation in getting the most out of the vehicle. An Alfa makes the driver an intrigal part of driving the car. The car has capability built into it, but the Alfa requires more out of the driver to fully explore those capabilities. To me, this makes the Alfa a more enjoyable car to drive that the A4.<p>When going from point A to point B, quickly, quietly, and effeciently I choose the A4. For white knuckle, forearm twisting, engine howling DRIVING. I take my Alfa. I believe the 156 would offer the best of both worlds.<p>As far as reliability, among knowledgable Alfa owners there is a consensus that many of these wonderful cars have been tarnished by DPO's (Dreaded Previous Owners) who have given less that adaquate attention to their cars. The Alfa is a particular car that often uses unorthodox, but very effective systems (SPICA fuel injection, transverse pushrods on top of the head to operate the exhaust valves on the V6, traingulated locating link for live axle cars, DeDion suspension, ect.ect.ect.) which are reliable, but require a knowlegable person to work on them. You do NOT give your Alfa to some Ford/Chevy hack, or attack your car with a handfull of wrenches and no understanding of these systems. Granted, some parts were underengineered from the factory, but careful, preventative maintenance will usually circumvent any catastrophic, and expensive problems. So far, the only problems I've encounted with my 84 GTV-6 have been related to the fact that the PO didn't drive it enough. It only had 59,000 mi. at purchase and had very little use over the last 3,000 mi. Seals dry up and hoses crack. Oh well..... These cars need, and fortunately, LOVE to be driven. The Italian tune-up is a reality.<p>As far as styling goes, it's subjective, but I really like the 156 and ever since I've been paying attention to Alfa's I've found that the designs are an aquired taste.<p>With all the merging of car companys, hopefully Fiat, who owns Alfa, will find a partner with stateside dealerships and make inroads back to the U.S. It was rumored to happen with Volvo, but we know where that went..................<p>Still waiting........................................... .................................<p>Enzo<p>The "A" List:<br>Wife's -- 98.5 A4 1.8T QMS<br>Mine -- 84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6<br>~ROMAN RACING~ 82 Spider ITB<br>Dog's -- 90 Acura Integra
Old 03-16-1999, 08:56 AM
Enzo

That's the 156 not the 166........ nt.

Quick Reply: Just read about the Alfa 156 at www.alfa156.com. 4 words: Not In My Garage.