A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What causes white smoke from the tailpipe?

Old 11-20-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes white smoke from the tailpipe?

I'm asking this because I have read on here that a few people had this happen and after changing out a leaking valve cover gasket it went away. Now, I have this problem and it only blows white smoke when I am on it hard. So, after investigation I found a leaking valve cover gasket and the oil is getting to the plugs. After talking to a buddy who knows jsut about everything about cars and turbos, he says that won't cause it to blow white smoke and it sounds like blown turbo seals. The turbo works just fine, but I guess the seals can still be bad. The head gasket seems to be fine, no coolant in the oil...no oil in the coolant. I just hope it isn't a turbo on its way out..damn it. The turbo is 10 years old and the car has been chipped for 10 years on the original turbo...so possibly I am hoping for a miracle at this point. Anyone with some knowledge about this want to school me on this white smoke cause or causes. Thank you, insight is appreciated.
J
Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lean condition, dumping fuel

but usually coolant = white smoke

but it could just be the turbo
Old 11-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes, we know you're car is 10 years old. You've said a million fvcking times.

I'm surprised with all your "supreme knowledge" that you don't already know the answer because you've had your car FOR 10 YEARS. My car will be 9 this March, woppie fvcking do.

Unless you are having other serious engine problems, there's only one other major component that causes white smoke.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Whoa Nate, easy there killer. lol have a drink, relax. lol
Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 PM

Default The mention of time was related to the possible symptom of a blown turbo.

Look, the only reason I brought up time was because it just may be a hint into the possibility of this being a blown turbo after all. I figured someone may ask, how old is the turbo? Yes, I've owned this car 10 years, who cares! I really don't care that your car is 9 years old and you haven't had it all that long yourself. When is the last time I ripped on you or responded to your posts negatively? I don't think I deserve such disrespect. I was asking for helpful insight, not an immature comment from a dirt bag new gen. AudiB5 owner who acts too big for his britches. The world would be a better place without you in it, especially AudiWorld. Die my friend....just die.
J
Old 11-20-2006, 09:21 PM
f3d
AudiWorld Uber User

how old is ur car?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2 weeks?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Elder Member

Default I highly disagree.

Nate is one of the most helpful guys on here hands down. Yes there are some that he does not get along with, but we are human afterall. Not everybody gets along, Nate is just not shy about letting people/you know that he does not like you.

Check the coolant fitting on your turbo in the meantime.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wtf...
Old 11-21-2006, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Serious answer inside!

IMO, it's probably the turbo.

Pull the compressor inlet hose and unbolt the cat to see if there is any shaft play or if it is wet inside (would be most worried about oil on turbine side, is somewhat normal on compressor side)

Has your oil level gone down any?

Everyone says oil = blue smoke and coolant = white smoke but I found that to not be the case in my situation. Maybe it has something to do with Synthetic vs Dino.

Never lost a drop of coolant, but lost qts of oil and it was all white smoke.

As far as "seals" in the turbo, theres only one RUBBER seal, from the CHRA to the compressor housing, that probably wouldn't cause this white smoke though. The one that I'd be worried about is the metal split ring seal on the turbine shaft/wheel. If that goes bad it will cause oil to get into the exhaust. Mine was bad and didn't notice any oil loss, it only takes a tiny bit of oil to make alot of smoke.

What does the smoke coming from the exhaust smell like?

Any soot on your back bumper? I could write **** with my finger on mine it was so thick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What causes white smoke from the tailpipe?