A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004 A6 Symphony not working

Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A6 Symphony not working

The unit is not working after battery was disconnected. I checked the fuse in the back and on the side panel, both are fine.

It doesn't display safe mode to unlock. It is simply not functioning.

What else could I do before bringing the car to the dealer?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Buy a used or cheap new Symphony and plug it in. Check ebay or others…there used to be about 10 or 20 of them new on sale somewhere for like $50. At this point if you know there is 12v (you DID check for voltage at the pin, right? Just cuz the fuses are ok doesn't mean there's voltage there. Easiest way is to check for voltage at the fuse on the back…if there's voltage there then the fuse on the side panel is good. If there's power to the back fuse and the unit is grounded the only way to check is to put in a new symphony head unit…also the easiest way.

I don't know if the Symphony II head unit that includes a six disc changer will fit or work in the older C5 audis…but it might…ask around.

You could also change to an aftermarket single-DIN head unit and use the space underneath (put a tray in there) for dash junk.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 04-25-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

the dash trim kit is always the most expensive part outside of the radio. seems like big money for a piece of plastic.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Buy a used or cheap new Symphony and plug it in. Check ebay or others…there used to be about 10 or 20 of them new on sale somewhere for like $50. At this point if you know there is 12v (you DID check for voltage at the pin, right? Just cuz the fuses are ok doesn't mean there's voltage there. Easiest way is to check for voltage at the fuse on the back…if there's voltage there then the fuse on the side panel is good. If there's power to the back fuse and the unit is grounded the only way to check is to put in a new symphony head unit…also the easiest way.

I don't know if the Symphony II head unit that includes a six disc changer will fit or work in the older C5 audis…but it might…ask around.
Thanks for your reply. I did check the voltage, it is there. I did have the Symphony II (4B0035195N). I unplugged every cable and fuse, then connected them back. I could hear sound of perhaps CD changer.

If I do get one, I need to get one with a code, right?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does this one fit and work? Part 8E0035195H

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Audi-S4-A4-Symphony-II-Car-Radio-6-CD-Cassette-/331185056961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1c2aecc1
Old 04-26-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moomoomia
Does this one fit and work? Part 8E0035195H

2004 Audi S4 A4 Symphony II Car Radio 6 CD Cassette | eBay
Yep and it has the SAT feature like your original one
Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes….you'll need the code of the used one or new one to get it to start.
Sounds more like your old Symphony II is stuck…why don't you try opening it up and seeing if you can unstick it? You don't have much to lose. Or you can send it off to a repair shop.
Years ago I had a problem with my Business head unit on my M3…I bought a used one on ebay and slapped it in…instant gratification, works fine. Then I noticed the one I took out had a rattle in it (I replaced it because it wouldn't turn on..the pushbutton on switch would just push the entire switch in) so I opened the head unit and turned it upside down and shook the little screw out…it turns out the Business head unit uses ONLY this one pusillanimous screw to hold the switch in and I stupidly had slapped the switch repeatedly over the years to turn on the radio! I replaced the switch screw but didn't reinstall the head unit…it's a spare and now the one I have will never fail..LOL!

I'm not making any morals here like maybe I should have removed the old one and checked it out before paying $35 for a used one (!!) but I didn't want to waste time and drive the car without a radio/CD/iPod hookup…life's too short! But since you have yours out, you might still want to open it up and look at it.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcman
Yep and it has the SAT feature like your original one
Don't you have to change the trim plate from the old A6 unit to the A4 unit?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Don't you have to change the trim plate from the old A6 unit to the A4 unit?
Good catch Sloop! If he wants the same with the Sat feature 4B0035195N fits not the 8E******H for the A4, it seems that more A4's had the Sat feature with this head in 04 but then again more A4's were sold vs A6

Last edited by jcman; 04-27-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I brought it to the dealership and now it works again. All they did was disconnect everything and reconnect. I did try that many times. At least it is working. I would have felt really stupid to have them telling me it is dead after paying for the service.

Thanks for all your replies. It turns out no code was even needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 A6 Symphony not working