Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

NEw A6 Owner here

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEw A6 Owner here

I picked up my A6 TDI about 10 days ago. I have a few questions and hope this is the proper forum to ask them.

1. Should I expect my sales person to give me instruction on the use of the MMI. I have received no instruction from anyone. Also, my Audi connection was never set up.

2. Today, a friend was looking at the car and he noticed two separate 1/4" cuts on the back part of the drivers seat several inches from the head rest. They look like knife cuts. They are very difficult to see unless you are looking specifically for them. While I have had the car 10 days or so, I am certain I did not cut the leather because I have never had any sharp objects in the car. Should I expect Audi to fix the seats or should I expect a problem from Audi. All of my cars for the past 15 years have had leather seats (including a 2002 A6) and I have never had a ripped, torn or cut leather seat so this new territory for me.

Last edited by guitars&cars; 04-23-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Threrad did not print out properly
Old 04-23-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guitars&cars
I picked up my A6 TDI about 10 days ago. I have a few questions and hope this is the proper forum to ask them.

1. Should I expect my sales person to give me instruction on the use of the MMI. I have received no instruction from anyone. Also, my Audi connection was never set up.

2. Today, a friend was looking at the car and he noticed two separate 1/4" cuts on the back part of the drivers seat several inches from the head rest. They look like knife cuts. They are very difficult to see unless you are looking specifically for them. While I have had the car 10 days or so, I am certain I did not cut the leather because I have never had any sharp objects in the car. Should I expect Audi to fix the seats or should I expect a problem from Audi. All of my cars for the past 15 years have had leather seats (including a 2002 A6) and I have never had a ripped, torn or cut leather seat so this new territory for me.
I would contact your dealer. When I took delivery I was given a full tutorial on the MMI. There are video's on Audi's site but hands on is the best in my opinion.

As to the seats I would again contact the dealer. it sound to me like they used a knife to cut the protective covering off the seats after delivery. I believe this is done by the dealer. I would expect the dealer to take care of that. If you can't get anywhere I would contact AoA. My guess is your dealer will take care of it without a hassle.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, first of all, the experience you've described sounds appalling, and for the sake of the community: Would you like to share who the dealership was?

Specifically:

I've taken delivery of two Audi's and a BMW within the last 3 years. In all cases, I was given instructions on the vehicle's features including the infotainment system. In fact for my 2014 A6, I explicitly told my sales rep that I am familiar with Audi MMI and don't need instructions, but he insisted that it's a required part of his job and would breeze through it quicker.

Surely enough, the Audi survey does specifically ask if the delivery process included a demo of MMI. My sales rep also went through the set up of the MMI system including verifying that Audi Connect's wifi hotspot worked correctly.

You might be in a bit of trouble here. This is one of many reasons to thoroughly inspect the car before taking delivery, including postponing delivery until daylight if need be. I spent around 20-30 minutes, without the salesperson's presence, inspecting my A6 before accepting delivery of it. I would not necessarily refuse delivery for problems I find if I think they are repairable, but I would want it in my sales contract that the dealer promises to repair them.

Legally speaking, you're probably SOL. If you look over your paper work, there is a page that you've signed that lists what the dealer promises to do. It's probably just a blank box. And it's going to be difficult for you to prove that you did not cause the defects to the car. Cuts in the leather sound expensive to repair to me, unfortunately, so it may be advisable to consult the counsel of a lawyer.

But a dealership that goes above and beyond in the name of customer satisfaction should be willing to work with you here. Best of luck. If you need to, contact AoA, and also inform the dealer you will ding them in the Audi survey. They tend to care about that.

Last edited by jdong; 04-23-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I know ......

Thanks for the responses. I am uncomfortable naming the dealer until I speak to the sales person first about the MMI instructions. My sales person was very helpful during the purchase process - she got me a great deal on both the purchase and trade in (I received substantially more than CarMax or a competing Audi dealer offered). I want to give her the benefit of the doubt before I launch my weapons.

I also want to see how the dealer addresses the cut leather on the seat. I do not need to seek counsel ---- all I have to do is look in the mirror and I see the family attorney.

I know that Audi can "legal up"and tell me it has no legal responsibility but, I am hoping the dealership will take the high road on this one and repair the seat. If not, I have a few cards up my sleeve I have a client that just bought an S8 from the dealer and the dealership knows he is also looking at a Q7. I also just referred another client who is looking to purchase an A4 and he has talked with my sales person. The sales manager knows that I have connections in the community that he would not want disturbed I also have not sent in my Audi evaluation so I can use a promise of a bad evaluation.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like you've got it covered . Good luck and let us know how it goes. I hope you're still enjoying the A6 in the meantime, though. I just got mine 2 months ago, and it's a very nice car to say the least.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update

I went to the dealer today and set an appointment to go over the fine points of the MMI. I am satisfied with the response.

The dealership is going to repair the seat.

So, it looks like everything is working out.

And yes, I am enjoying the car.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the dealer today and set an appointment to go over the fine points of the MMI. I am satisfied with the response.

The dealership is going to repair the seat.

So, it looks like everything is working out.

And yes, I am enjoying the car.
This is what I expected would happen. I find that most dealerships that sell higher end cars know their market is limited and that word of mouth is extremely important. Because of that, and just the overall desire to do the right thing, most will take care of you. I'm glad this dealer fell into that category and everything worked out in your favor.