A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

MMI Updated - 3G+ to 0770

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default MMI Updated - 3G+ to 0770 -Dual SIM (post #5)

If anyone's interested I've just updated my MMI to version 0770 from 0518, the process took about 3 hours in total and did the full 3 steps to make sure nothing went wrong.

I ordered 2 CDs and 1 SD card from my local dealers and followed the following process -

0518 - 0612 using CD 8R0 906 961BT
0612 - 0614 using CD 8R0 906 961CD
0614 - 0770 using SD 8R0 906 961DG

I did one update at a time with a journey in between updates to ensure the battery didn't die on me, but you could connect a battery charger to negate the risk and do them one after another.

To start the process you need ignition on (engine not running) and I turned everything else off (aircon, auto-lights, etc.),
Then press together CAR + BACK buttons to access the Update menu. Brings up a RED menu.
Bottom right MMI button is UPDATE select this and it will then ask for media location - insert relevant media and select.
A list of updates will appear with Y, N or NA against them, scroll to the bottom and select UPDATE, allow the process to run to completion - don't worry when system reboots and comes back in German, it will reboot again into original language.

The above part numbers are relevant for MMI 3G+ in the A7, A6, A8 & Q3 according to the link below which also includes part numbers for other models and MMI versions globally.

http://mycarfreak.blogspot.de/2012/0...-mmi-plus.html

I don't confess to being an expert (I've always updated my own MMI software on the 4 Audis I've had with no problems at all) but I followed the above steps with no problems at all please use at your own discretion

Last edited by NorthWestA6; 04-26-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's new in 0770, is it worth the update?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Note that the MMI version numbers stated by the OP are for the UK and are completely different in North America. Also currently, Audi dealers in the U.S. will not provide the media for customers to do their own MMI or Nav updates themselves.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

What I've found so far is my system runs a bit smoother and the appearance of the Audi Connect icon (& link) on the menu page. The reason I did the upgrade was to stop my audio going on and off a few times when I first got in the car after it had been parked up overnight - the update appears to have rectified this problem.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dual SIM Working

The biggest benefit of the update to 0770 that I've found and got working today is the use of a data sim inserted into the mmi unit for data services - Audi Connect, Google Earth, etc., whilst still being able to connect my Galaxy S3 to the car using Bluetooth for handsfree.

One important setting to make is that you need to enable a menu item so that it will show as the first option under “telephone settings” called “Make calls using......”. You do this in the green menu (hidden engineering menu) under diagnose/settings/tel_settings”. Here you need to enable “NAD operation mode”.

Once you've done this then restart / reboot the unit (3 button press) and you will see the option to change which device to use to make calls, once you've selected which sim to use to make calls (mmi or mobile telephone) the system will advise a reboot is required which it will do itself.

After the reboot you'll see signal strength displays for both the mmi and mobile telephone SIMs at the bottom right of the mmi screen.

Good news for me as it means I no longer use my mobile contract for data services and the in-car wifi service can utilise the unlimited data SIM card I have in the MMI SIM card slot.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi need a re think on MMI and data services!

Thanks for this info guys - frustrating that Audi dont allow us to simply plug the iphone in to the AMI cable and make use of the data connection in the iphone to access the internet services because I pay for that already. I pay for a 4G tarrif in my iPhone so that would get good access speeds (in certain areas!)

The only solution i can find is to do what you guys do which is buy another Data only/Tablet SIM for £10-£12 a month on a 30 day rolling contract. At least with the MMI upgrade it will allow both to co-exist so i can still se my iphone for making and taking calls.

Frustrating and daft way of implementing it when all Audi had to do was give the user the option - use your own phone to access audi connect services OR plug in a dedicated SIM. Certainly i never wanted to keep taking out my iPhone SIM and placing it in the car every time i made a journey!

I dont think they thought this through very well. I mean how cool would it be to plug in your iPhone and use that as a the "personal hotspot" so other users in the car access the wifi in the car and use your data SIM to access data. right -- - - off to buy a data only SIM now! :-(
Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

just a quick question, will this make the MMI able to use the iPhone for data as well?
(Google maps and online services)?
Ahh, read through now, seem not to, so you still need an MMI with sim.

Last edited by soft; 07-01-2014 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by soft
just a quick question, will this make the MMI able to use the iPhone for data as well?
Right. None of this applies in North America.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soft
Hi soft
Apparently you can do that with Andriod phones , or any phone that has a Bluetooth SIM access profile.

See the blurb from AUDI :

Important connectivity information: An external data source is required to enable the Audi connect online services. One of the two following external data sources can be used:
1. A mobile telephone with Bluetooth SIM Access Profile
2. A separate SIM card which can be inserted in the included SIM card reader. When a separate SIM card is used, hands free phone calls are possible using the SIM card or by connecting a different mobile telephone via Bluetooth Hands Free Profile

To check the compatibility of your mobile phone and if it has SIM Access Profile compatibility, please visit http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/ph...atibility.html

Last edited by sbarlas; 07-02-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestA6
What I've found so far is my system runs a bit smoother and the appearance of the Audi Connect icon (& link) on the menu page. The reason I did the upgrade was to stop my audio going on and off a few times when I first got in the car after it had been parked up overnight - the update appears to have rectified this problem.
I had the upgrade done on my A7 2011 last week and now the duo SIM card works fine, but not the audio remaining shut off at restart (from sleep). Do I have to do anything specific to get it to work?

Quick Reply: MMI Updated - 3G+ to 0770