Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hello hello
New member that put a deposit on a 1997 Cabriolet
I really haven't found much bad about these cars online.
Slow acceleration and top hyd's mainly.

I took one for a test drive. has 130k miles, no rust, didn't see any leaks, oil looked and smelled okay, top worked, no cel.
It did have a shake but they said they put new tires on it and never had them balanced. I am hoping that is the only problem.

Any things I should look out for and replace as soon as I get it?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The oil may have looked and smelled okay, but something smells fishy. Why would anyone mount new tires and not balance them? Ask for the service records. Compare the records with this recommended schedule: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...ance+Schedules. If maintenance has been skimped on, you may be looking at thousands in repairs and catch up maintenance. A CARFAX report would be worth the cost. So would paying for an auto tech experienced with Audi's to inspect the car. These are comfortable and fun cars when properly maintained. The maintenance and repairs are pricey if you don't DIY. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so here is what i would do first
1.t-belt at 80k intervals+thermostat+water pump+ all of the seals on cams and crank (cheep if you can do it yourself and you will need the t-belt bar to do this job and a crank lock)
2. change that transmission fluid with filter...
and i agree, who mounts tiers and doesn't balance them? a shake could be caused by anything, failed wheel bearing, unbalanced tier/bent rim, worn ball joint or tie rod ends (inner or outer) failed shock or failed mounts, or does it happen when you step on a brake?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

First thing I will do is put it on a lift and push/pull tire to see if bearing and bushings/ball joints are bad. If all looks well there, I will have tires balanced. If that fixes shake then next will be timing belt, water pump, t-stat, tensioner, and crank/cam seals.
As much as I don't want to work on cars I am pretty good at it. My 05subaru legacy gt is waiting on a head gasket Irebuilt the motor last year and used fel-pro gaskets not oem. Lesson learned for turbo subi. I have had good luck with fel-pro in every other case though.

Car has rebuilt title so must have been wrecked. It was repaired and painted. New conv top, everything seems to work except the power antenna. I have read some wiring issues in that area any way so will trace all wires and much sure nothing has been damaged.

Anything else I should look at while I am working on it?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh and drain and fill trans. I am not a fan of flushing since it can dislodge and clog valves but will get fresh fluid in. Is it just standard atf or some special audi blend?
Can I also just use standard universal coolant or is that special audi as well. Subaru recommends a coolant conditioner which I am guessing has a stop leak agent in it.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT AUDI FLUIDS!!!!!!!!!
coolant is G12 or G12+, go to VW/Audi dealer (doesn't mater which one)
same with trans fluid. on those cars, you dont have to flush them, but do need to change the filter and fluid, they are well known for failed auto transmissions. also, someone may chime in, but if IIRC Pentosin is the fluid you want.... someone, please correct me if im wrong
https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...ission%20Fluid
Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

On the linked website for timing belt kits it asks for timing belt length. What do we have in this bad boy?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

See if Blauparts is running a special on the timing belt etc. They seem to be getting out of the 12v business. You could go crazy tracking down the shake. Gotta nail it down to when - accelerating, braking or cruising. The power antenna on the Cab is a nightmare of german overengineering, but then, so is the top. Do you have the stock radio? If not, there is a connector kit avail on ebay that snaps perfectly to the wiring harness. You just have to hook the wires up correctly to the radio. Hopefully, the problem is a broken mast cable. That is about $45 at the dealer. If not, then the metal drive gear has chewed up the teeth in the big plastic gear. The plastic gear will look ok, but if you feel where the teeth mate, you will find a low spot with the teeth missing. No one makes that part. If you want a stock antenna, it's $450 at the dealership or scout the junk yards till you can cobble together a decent one or get parts. The other failure is the relays get trashed, usually the relay springs rust out. That can be fixable, just getting the springs may take some ingenuity. Nobody makes a really decent aftermarket replacement for this antenna.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will diagnose today after I pick up the car. Did it while cruising only, which made me thinks tires. Started around 45mph didn't get over 60 but felt a little better around there. All of the suspension felt good with no clunks or rattles, brakes felt and sounded good. Steering felt tight and centered overall.
Thanks for the antenna info. It has an aftermarket stereo already, I will probably upgrade to a flip out screen with bluetooth. I have found wiring diagrams and depending on connectors don't mind splicing and soldering.
The antenna was half up which made me think someone pulled it there by hand. I will tear it apart and see what we have. Any photos of the whole ant. motor? Has anyone replaced it with a cheaper more robust unit before?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer has the antennae on clearance now...

POWER.AER. 8G0-051-509-A

Quick Reply: New Member