A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Gas Mileage Suffering, Among Other Things...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage Suffering, Among Other Things...

First off, I just want to say that just by browsing and reading through some of the posts, it seems that you guys are very helpful and generally post back more often than some of the other Audi forums I have visited. So kudos to you guys!

I saw that this topic has been covered a little bit before but the thread was a somewhat older, so instead of bumping I decided to start a new thread and throw a couple ideas out there to see what you guys thought.

To put it simply, my gas mileage has dropped and I'm not sure why. Recently replaced the spark plugs, changed oil and replaced PCV diaphragm at the same time about 2,000 miles ago. I would say that within my last 2 fillups I have noticed my decrease. I would say that before, on average I was able to get around 27 MPG. Now I'm getting 22-23. (Always hand calculated)

A couple of thoughts....I'm thinking I might have a failing O2 sensor/s, however, no codes are being thrown. Will a failing O2 sensor always throw a code? If not, what are the acceptable parameters for a properly functioning sensor if I check it with a mulitmeter?

2) Maybe a dirty MAF? Although, I'm not really leaning towards this, but am open to the possibility.

I have a Bluetooth ODBLink that I screen shotted a couple of pics of tests it runs while plugged in that I added below. You'll see that it complains about the oxygen sensor on a couple tests, and not on others, which is confusing me. You'll also see it's also complaining about the EGR and some fuel monitors. I'm assuming these problems are all stemming from one issue. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images     
Old 04-23-2014, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you measuring on exceptionally cold days? I've seen a big drop in fuel mileage for me using michigan gas when it is below 40F.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really Ports, it's been in the 50's here recently. I have the Silver extended warranty on it through Audi, and I'm wondering if I should bring it in. I don't really want to because most of the time I find them to be thieves but they might give me a lead on what's wrong and I can either do it myself, or maybe whatever it is might be covered. I doubt it as the silver warranty doesn't cover too much, mostly more catastrophic things it seems.