S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

DSG upshifts too early...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSG upshifts too early...

My apologies for the cross-post but I did not really get any answers on the Audizine as if there are no stock or APR tuned cars on the forum...

Can anyone with stock 2013 S6 or with APR tune comment on these points:

1. In Drive mode, the car would upshift to 7th gear 40-41mph (normal acceleration, not flooring it, or just crusing). That does not seem normal. See attached picture.
a. I am asking 2013 S6 owners to comment as I remember someone mentioned when he switched from 2013 to 2014 S6 that early upshift issue seems to be gone.
b. Someone with a stock 2013 S6 responded that “it seems that if I pull away from a stop in a mild manner I get to 4th or perhaps it just shifts to 5th right around 40.”

2. With a stock car, when you are in Drive mode in high gear you give partial throttle and the car responds with a delay, or if you come to partial stop. This is a known fact and from what I have read before and Audi does not seem to have a good fix for this.
a. For people with APR tune, was this issue resolved?

3. Also, people with APR tune, are the downshifts in S-mode are better (not so jerky) than with a stock ECU?

Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by ellisinA4; 04-20-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Totally OT, but my car RPM limiter (the red LED lights) never moves beyond 6500 RPM. It starts at 5500 cold, then goes to 6500 warm, never seen it off 6500 and always thought that was weird. Any thoughts?

Back on topic, the jerky downshift issue was solved, for me at least, when I had the transmission software TSB applied. I have never checked to see what RPM my car shifts at, but I also don't generally drive using "normal" acceleration.

My car is a 2013 stock S6.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4thrills
Totally OT, but my car RPM limiter (the red LED lights) never moves beyond 6500 RPM. It starts at 5500 cold, then goes to 6500 warm, never seen it off 6500 and always thought that was weird. Any thoughts?

Back on topic, the jerky downshift issue was solved, for me at least, when I had the transmission software TSB applied. I have never checked to see what RPM my car shifts at, but I also don't generally drive using "normal" acceleration.

My car is a 2013 stock S6.
7200 redline that is displayed is an issue with GIAC DSG tune. Hopefully they will resolve it by Monday as I am 5k past due for maintenance.
As far as Audi DSG TSB, that did not do too much for me, S drive downshifts are still jerky.

Bottom line, after the GIAC ECU/DSG tune Drive mode upshifts are way too early and the car hesitates from 1200-2500 unless u floor it; S mode is still jerky enough, especially when I have my toddlers in the back.

Last edited by ellisinA4; 04-20-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In general, I can't say that I am thrilled with the overall behavior of the DSG. Other than very quick shifts, I find it a little quirky overall. I have a 2014 with APR tune, and the transmission characteristics are not really changed. If anything, downshifts in S mode a little more jerky due to the higher levels of torque. On the flip side, D mode is now much more satisfying and provides a little more smoothness. As such, I now rarely drive in S -only when I want to do a deliberate hard launch and take it to redline. Otherwise, I am either in D or M. The only problem with this is that you can't redline in M. Despite the fact that it is "manual", the car shifts for you when you hit 5500 rpm or so. For some reason, Audi engineers decided that even though the driver has put it into manual mode, that they will somehow forget to shift. What's the problem with just having a fuel cut off at redline?

In any case, D works nicely with the APR tune and I have less reason to actually use S or M.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
In general, I can't say that I am thrilled with the overall behavior of the DSG. Other than very quick shifts, I find it a little quirky overall. I have a 2014 with APR tune, and the transmission characteristics are not really changed. If anything, downshifts in S mode a little more jerky due to the higher levels of torque. On the flip side, D mode is now much more satisfying and provides a little more smoothness. As such, I now rarely drive in S -only when I want to do a deliberate hard launch and take it to redline. Otherwise, I am either in D or M. The only problem with this is that you can't redline in M. Despite the fact that it is "manual", the car shifts for you when you hit 5500 rpm or so. For some reason, Audi engineers decided that even though the driver has put it into manual mode, that they will somehow forget to shift. What's the problem with just having a fuel cut off at redline?

In any case, D works nicely with the APR tune and I have less reason to actually use S or M.
Vijay, thank you for your response. Your information was exactly what I was looking for.
Is the DSG upshifting to 7th gear in Drive mode as early as 40 mph when u take off in a mild manner or when u r cruising at that speed?

Last edited by ellisinA4; 04-21-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My stock 2013 S6 will upshift into 7th at 40 or just above such that the RPM will be in the 1100ish range as pictured above. This is exactly how I'd expect any modern automatic transmission to behave, assuming the engine has the torque to pull the high gear at that RPM without lugging. Mine will readily downshift if I call for more power, though it's got the characteristic DSG slight delay at times.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ellisinA4
Vijay, thank you for your response. Your information was exactly what I was looking for.
Is the DSG upshifting to 7th gear in Drive mode as early as 40 mph when u take off in a mild manner or when u r cruising at that speed?
When you are in D mode, the transmission will upshift early if you are light on the throttle. I am guessing it is sensing a non-sporty driving style so it is acting to maximize fuel economy.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

To the OP.... maybe it has more to do with your DSG tune being jacked up then it does the transmission?