A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rear drivers side suspension griding noise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear drivers side suspension griding noise.

My car developed a grinding noise on the rear driver's side suspension/brake area. It makes the sound as soon as you move the car, its pretty loud. I don't hear it if the windows are up, but if they are down its definitely noticable. When the car hits around 65mph the ride is fairly bumpy on the freeway, but when I take turns or quick corners, it doesn't get out of control or anything. When I turn the wheel to the left while I drive, the sound isn't quite as loud, but gets louder the further right I turn it, so I don't think its the brakes. I have taken a look but I don't see anything out of place, at the same time I don't know a ton about suspension systems. I will jack it up when I get a chance to look at the control arms back their.

ALSO: In the front passenger side suspension area, I get a light clicking sound while driving, only during movement but when I brake, the sound goes away at very low speeds. As soon as I release the brake it starts back up. Control arm or brakes?

Thanks!

2002 Audi C5 A6 2.7T 148k miles.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by KingHamer
My car developed a grinding noise on the rear driver's side suspension/brake area. It makes the sound as soon as you move the car, its pretty loud. I don't hear it if the windows are up, but if they are down its definitely noticable. When the car hits around 65mph the ride is fairly bumpy on the freeway, but when I take turns or quick corners, it doesn't get out of control or anything. When I turn the wheel to the left while I drive, the sound isn't quite as loud, but gets louder the further right I turn it, so I don't think its the brakes. I have taken a look but I don't see anything out of place, at the same time I don't know a ton about suspension systems. I will jack it up when I get a chance to look at the control arms back their.

ALSO: In the front passenger side suspension area, I get a light clicking sound while driving, only during movement but when I brake, the sound goes away at very low speeds. As soon as I release the brake it starts back up. Control arm or brakes?

Thanks!

Check your brake backing plate…it could have been bent and is touching the rotor or a rock or something got between the plate and the rotor. With the car up in the air spin the rotor and see if you can duplicate the sound. I've even put the car on jackstands and in gear to rotate the wheels. If you do that with the wheels off, make sure you put the lug bolts in (with appropriate washer stacks to avoid the lug bolts locking the hub) to get the hub to turn the rotor.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks!

Takes forever to post.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Check

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Check your brake backing plate…it could have been bent and is touching the rotor or a rock or something got between the plate and the rotor. With the car up in the air spin the rotor and see if you can duplicate the sound. I've even put the car on jackstands and in gear to rotate the wheels. If you do that with the wheels off, make sure you put the lug bolts in (with appropriate washer stacks to avoid the lug bolts locking the hub) to get the hub to turn the rotor.
Ill be sure to check that out ASAP. I noticed today when I got into my car, I pushed on the door and made the whole car move (roll) towards the passenger side, I heard the creaking/grinding noise and pushed the car a few times to try to get a good idea. I can't really tell what it is and I was on my way to work so I didn't get the chance to check it out.

Thanks for your time and help!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm with sloop on the backing plate/ shroud on inboard brake rotor area. That thing is easily tweaked into a bad position by debris getting caught in there. As a precaution, i would also do as sloop said an make sure it's not the bearing, or CV. The boots on CV's can be torn and once that assembly is out of lube, it tends to be very noisy and pretty shaky whilst driving. So, you should address this pronto, as these things snowball into bigger problems and only fix themselves if my old lady is driving it.

As for the front, and body roll questions, not that they are related but could be. Troubleshooting front suspension by describing noises in text is like doing a where's waldo test on the phone. 1.2 Million possibilities and really only 1 answer, so let's not waste our time with the hail mary "it could be the……" statements. You need to get the thing on jackstands and start looking at all the bushings and connections in the suspension. If you are new to this, it's a bit confusing at first, but you will figure it out. With the vehicle "curb weighted" you can check how much play is in each connection and knock out a killer combo of triceps and neck jerking workouts while you investigate your suspension creeks and groans. Whatever you do, don't go to the dealership with the "it's making a sound like WHEEEEEWWWW AAAARRRGGGGHHHH PATEEEWWWEEEE" type of line. Those guys will whip the money out of your hedge fund quicker than you can say "well, i better talk to the wife about financing one of those Q7's first…".

Good luck, we're all counting on you.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nialist
Good luck, we're all counting on you.
Hey thanks, I appreciate all the info! I'm at work with nothing to do so I looked up all the parts of a suspension system so I can get an idea of what i'm looking at and what ill be looking for. Cheers!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey thanks, I appreciate all the info! I'm at work with nothing to do so I looked up all the parts of a suspension system so I can get an idea of what i'm looking at and what ill be looking for. Cheers!
Work? On Easter? Don't tell me you work for one of them godless, jesus-hating Canadians…… Today is Zombie Jesus day. Where we all should be locked up with the family. Eating swine and arming ourselves with hollow points while we dazzle the nephew with "back when i was in school there…" stories.

Unless your a man of the cloth. With a name like Kinghammer, it's either that or a **** star.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

a couple of things to consider while you are inspecting ..

Wheel on properly and torqued up ? with the cahngeover to summer from winters sometimes the centre piece gets corrosion and te wheel dosnt sit square.

Check for a rear broken spring.

Check brake backing plate as mentioned.

See if one of the brake pads hasnt worn off , especially the inside you cant see too well. I find the rear brakes wear out very quickly on this car.

Lastly is the wheel bearing and CV joint.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Work? On Easter? Don't tell me you work for one of them godless, jesus-hating Canadians…… Today is Zombie Jesus day. Where we all should be locked up with the family. Eating swine and arming ourselves with hollow points while we dazzle the nephew with "back when i was in school there…" stories.

Unless your a man of the cloth. With a name like Kinghammer, it's either that or a **** star.
Canadians recognise good Friday as a National Holiday across the country ..Cant say the same about Our US cousins .. Just sayin ...
Old 04-21-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Work? On Easter? Don't tell me you work for one of them godless, jesus-hating Canadians…. With a name like Kinghammer, it's either that or a **** star.
Unfortunitely I work for corporate America..

Quick Reply: Rear drivers side suspension griding noise.