Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stolen

Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen

Well, 15 months in to owning the Q5 and she was stolen right in front of my house last night. I have the advanced key and have both of them so I'm not entirely sure how it was taken. It was right in front of my house so I don't think it could have been towed. Any thoughts on what it would take to "hotwire" a Q5? Should I expect major damage if/when I get it back? What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of getting it back? Any recommendations/hint on working with the insurance company?

Never been through this so I'm curious how it will go.

--Erik
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've heard many times it's "impossible" and the theft rate data (only a couple dozen in the nation IIRC) leads me to believe it. The only thing I can think of is an inside job at your dealer?

BTW, you don't WANT the car back in case they somehow messed up the electronics or anything else. Hope that it's gone for good and insist getting enough money back from insurance to buy a comparable replacement CPO vehicle.

Last edited by Parsec; 03-31-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom
Well, 15 months in to owning the Q5 and she was stolen right in front of my house last night. I have the advanced key and have both of them so I'm not entirely sure how it was taken. It was right in front of my house so I don't think it could have been towed. Any thoughts on what it would take to "hotwire" a Q5? Should I expect major damage if/when I get it back? What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of getting it back? Any recommendations/hint on working with the insurance company?

Never been through this so I'm curious how it will go.

--Erik
what about the "emergency key" that they gave you when you bought the car? I think you put it inside of a device that is in your glovebox and it will start your car. Do you still have this as well?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhughett
what about the "emergency key" that they gave you when you bought the car? I think you put it inside of a device that is in your glovebox and it will start your car. Do you still have this as well?
Ahh, I'd totally forgotten about that. Anyone know how this works? I've never really understood it.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahh, I'd totally forgotten about that. Anyone know how this works? I've never really understood it.
The small plastic emergency key can be used to unlock the doors.

Once inside you remove the plastic emergency key holder from the glove box and the emergency key snaps into it.

Then just insert the key / holder combo into the ignition as you would your normal key and you are good to go.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah after a little googling there is it. I'd been told it was a "valet key". Which it's not. So I'm guessing that's how it was started.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Not sure if the Q5 is the same but on the A6 with Advanced key, the E-key just needs to be held up against the key symbol on the dashboard and the car will start with a push of the On-Off button - there's no holder like the valet key on my older Audis. In any case, I keep E-key in my wallet in case I lose the fob when I'm out as leaving it in the glove box is the first place a thief will look after gaining access to the car often by breaking the driver window.

Sorry to the OP - there aren't too many things more unsettling (or enraging) than having your car stolen. With any luck, it was taken for a short joyride and will be recovered quickly with no damage or harm done.

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-31-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah after a little googling there is it. I'd been told it was a "valet key". Which it's not. So I'm guessing that's how it was started.
It still doesn't explain how they got INTO the car.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are 2 plastic parts that make up the emergency key - the adapter which is in the glove box and a small plastic key. The small plastic key should be on you (or in your house) and can be used to unlock the door. Once you insert the key into the adapter, it can be inserted into the ignition to start the car. Did you leave both the key and the adapter in your glove box? If you did, then they could just smash a window and grab the key. Or you might've left the car unlocked by accident.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
There are 2 plastic parts that make up the emergency key - the adapter which is in the glove box and a small plastic key. The small plastic key should be on you (or in your house) and can be used to unlock the door. Once you insert the key into the adapter, it can be inserted into the ignition to start the car. Did you leave both the key and the adapter in your glove box? If you did, then they could just smash a window and grab the key. Or you might've left the car unlocked by accident.
I did leave both in the car. My stupidity in not understanding how the thing worked. That said there wasn't any glass on the street. I also ALWAYS lock the car. Just force of habit. If the emergency key was used, I'm fairly certain it was done by more than some kid. It's not at all obvious how the emergency key works, and you'd have to know about it. I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that the car will be recovered?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stolen