A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

98 A6 Quattro Double Din

Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 A6 Quattro Double Din

Hey guys,

New to the site. I just got an '98 A6 a couple of months ago. I want to convert the center console to a double din for a new stereo. The car currently has Bose speakers. I've found some info on other models on various websites and everyone seems to have a different instructions. I was just wondering if anyone has done a similar job and if they have any insight.

I've attached a picture of what I'm working with.

Thanks for any insight
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by madrid09
Hey guys,

New to the site. I just got an '98 A6 a couple of months ago. I want to convert the center console to a double din for a new stereo. The car currently has Bose speakers. I've found some info on other models on various websites and everyone seems to have a different instructions. I was just wondering if anyone has done a similar job and if they have any insight.

Thanks for any insight
The way I see it there are only two options. You can ditch the climate control and install a custom climate control computer/controller like they use in all the stars cars on TV or you can delete the hazard switch and cup holders and do a ton of cutting. Still not sure that it would fit because I don't know the depth but, unless you have a lot of experience with single to double conversions, you may be biting off more than you can chew.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sounddude
The way I see it there are only two options. You can ditch the climate control and install a custom climate control computer/controller like they use in all the stars cars on TV or you can delete the hazard switch and cup holders and do a ton of cutting. Still not sure that it would fit because I don't know the depth but, unless you have a lot of experience with single to double conversions, you may be biting off more than you can chew.
The more I think about it, you may be able to drop the climate control/seat heaters down an inch or so. Maybe more because of the able it's cut at. get rid of the trim. (you're going to need to fab something anyway.

I have one of these. (I think mine is a 512)
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert..._Video/KVT-516

It was in an older 944 I bought once and I had it in a BMW for awhile. The only double DIN conversion I ever did was in a 928. About two weeks after I did it someone popped the window and took it. Broke the center console to smitherines. Insurance paid and I carry a $100 deductible so I didn't really loose anything..... Except for $100/a ton of hours of research and even more actual fab work. (lame)

It seems like a lot of work for something that there is already an easy solution for. To each their own but here are my thoughts.

The kenwood single din is the same software as the double DIN (although my 512 lacks delay settings and only has 4 pre-outs meaning no separate sub out... more on this when I do the amp upgrade) the double din Excelon I had came with nav and I had to buy the module (to add nav to my single din. Bluetooth is another 120$ so the 700 or so new price of the single din is not really a savings or an expense compared to the double din). But the double din is at least 300 more. I bought my nav module for 160 on ebay.

Last edited by sounddude; 02-24-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sounddude
The more I think about it, you may be able to drop the climate control/seat heaters down an inch or so. Maybe more because of the able it's cut at. get rid of the trim. (you're going to need to fab something anyway.

I have one of these. (I think mine is a 512)
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert..._Video/KVT-516

It seems like a lot of work for something that there is already an easy solution for. To each their own but here are my thoughts.

The kenwood single din is the same software as the double DIN (although my 512 lacks delay settings and only has 4 pre-outs meaning no separate sub out... more on this when I do the amp upgrade) the double din Excelon I had came with nav and I had to buy the module (to add nav to my single din. Bluetooth is another 120$ so the 700 or so new price of the single din is not really a savings or an expense compared to the double din). But the double din is at least 300 more. I bought my nav module for 160 on ebay.

Alright, thanks for your insight. I just think the double din looks so much cleaner.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by madrid09
Hey guys,

Thanks for any insight
First thing you do is replace the OEM speakers with new technology/aftermarket.
I've used Infinity 6030(??) woofers and tweeters in both C5 V8s…YMMV.
The sound difference is stunning when your old speakers are going out and you know it…the difference is noticeable if your speakers are just bugging your wife and she complains so long you change them out. On your old car change out the front and rear speakers.

After that, the head unit changeout might not seem so, ummm, needy.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree as well with first replacing the speakers.
I did the same in my 00 a6, replaced front and rears with a/d/s woofer/tweeter pairs and replaced the bose amp with much better sony amps with a built-in equalizer.
The original head unit sounds much better now and I like the stock look.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont see why you cant do what A4 guys do and just find the center stack, climate, and if needed center console from 00+ car. Sounds like alot of work for really nothing.

Also i have seen the seat heater switches burn up the seat elements and the switch from being left in an "in between" position for a long time. So set it to an actual number not in between them.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK will look into new speakers too.

@Propseeder: Thanks for the heads up