Go Back   AudiWorld Forums » Audi Models » Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 » Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to AudiWorld!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join AudiWorld.com today!

Notices

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Discussion Forums:

Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Teris10
Audiworld Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Shift delay in automatic transmission?

Hey guys. I have a 2104 Q5 and notice a delay with the transmission when shifting from reverse to drive and vice versa. If I hit the gas too quickly after shifting, the car doesn't move, then jumps when it catches gears. Anyone else having this issue?
Teris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
acadianbob
AudiWorld Member
2013 Audi Q5

Maybe impatience? : - ) Every automatic has that delay.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
josedebardi
AudiWorld Member
2013 Audi SQ5 TDI

It's just the way it is... I shift just before I come to a stop when manoeuvring to avoid the problem.
Adaptive headlights, Advanced key, Audi drive select, Audi hill-hold assist, Audi Parking System Advanced, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, Black roof rails, Climate cup holder, Deletion of TDI technology designation at rear (keeping SQ5 and V6 T on wings and added extra T), Door mirrors elec adjustable/folding/heated/auto-dimming with memory function, Dynamic steering, Electrically-adjustable front seats with memory function, Heated front and outer rear seats, High-beam assist, MMI navigation plus, Mobile telephone preparation High with Audi connect, Audi side assist and Audi active lane assist, Power-operated tailgate, Privacy glass, DAB digital radio, Side window blinds manual, Towing equipment, Rear bench seat plus, Rear side airbags, Removable net partition, Retractable and extendable sun visor, 3-spoke multi-function flat bottomed steering wheel with gear-shift paddles, Storage package, Tyre pressure loss indicator, Underfloor storage tray in boot

josedebardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
MP4.2+6.0
Garage is empty, add now

Default Not going away...

Often programmed in by Audi (and many manufacturers) as part of the various elements to try to avoid "unintended" acceleration--aka pedal misapplication. Also associated with putting cars in the wrong gear. As an example, we just had a tragic story locally where an elderly man critically injured two kids on the regular (mid block) sidewalk when he pushed them into a store wall with an X5 apparently put in D instead of into R when backing out.

Net, in the old days the delay was often found in tired transmissions, but now its part of the electronics.
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt)
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-25-2014 at 11:22 AM.
MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Bob Petruska
AudiWorld Super User
Garage is empty, add now

Default My 2014, 2.0T doesn't have that delay.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris10 View Post
Hey guys. I have a 2104 Q5 and notice a delay with the transmission when shifting from reverse to drive and vice versa. If I hit the gas too quickly after shifting, the car doesn't move, then jumps when it catches gears. Anyone else having this issue?
I do a lot of Drive/Reverse in my normal day and have yet to see the delay that you describe, but I only use "S" mode, never "D" mode.
Bob Petruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
a4, automatic, delay, shift, transmission