Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
PJQ5S
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 164336
 
PJQ5S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 127
Default Plasti-Dip and parking sensors??

Hey all,

Gonna be taking delivery of an SQ5 tomorrow (which I am SUPER EXCITED for of course), but...

I was thinking about eventually using Plasti-Dip to "black out" the rear lower valance (below the alu-optic trim) and "bumper" portion of the front grill (sans the horizontal crome strips). I'm not a huge fan of the stock S-model platinum gray color (especially since the color I ordered is Monsoon, which I feel blends a little too much with those parts of the body kit making it kinda blah). The front portion of the grill should be no problem, but the rear parking sensors are all in the lower rear valance (and that matching gray color). So, my question is - will the sensors still work POST Plasti-Dip??

Anyone has experience/knowledge to share on this?

Thanks in advance everyone
__________________
"The Beatles were so high, they let RINGO sing a couple of tunes..." - Bill Hicks
PJQ5S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
AudiQ5sleeper
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 235141
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 668
Default

there is a member on here that had plasti dip their Q5. but I forgot who this member is. maybe use the search function.
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
JBDinTX
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 168544
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gainesville,TX Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 752
Default

Sir, put the spray can down and step back from the vehicle!!! Lol. I don't see why people buy $$$$ cars and spray paint them. lol.
JBDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Dalancroft
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 23640
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDinTX View Post
Sir, put the spray can down and step back from the vehicle!!! Lol. I don't see why people buy $$$$ cars and spray paint them. lol.
Yeah, what he said!

+1
Dalancroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Coolieman1220
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 167682
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,395
Default

one of my rear bumper sensors filled with snow and that made them pretty useless.
__________________

09' Audi Q5 3.2 Premium + (Lease Return) 12' Audi Q5 2.0t Premium + 14' Audi Q5 TDi S-Line
09' Ducati Mosnter 696 (Upgraded to) 12' Ducati Monster 796
2013 BMW S1000rr
2010 BMW 335d
2010 VW Jetta TDI

Coolieman1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
vblick
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 252946
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJQ5S View Post
Hey all,

Gonna be taking delivery of an SQ5 tomorrow (which I am SUPER EXCITED for of course), but...

I was thinking about eventually using Plasti-Dip to "black out" the rear lower valance (below the alu-optic trim) and "bumper" portion of the front grill (sans the horizontal crome strips). I'm not a huge fan of the stock S-model platinum gray color (especially since the color I ordered is Monsoon, which I feel blends a little too much with those parts of the body kit making it kinda blah). The front portion of the grill should be no problem, but the rear parking sensors are all in the lower rear valance (and that matching gray color). So, my question is - will the sensors still work POST Plasti-Dip??

Anyone has experience/knowledge to share on this?

Thanks in advance everyone
Yes, your sensors will still work, except they will ALWAYS beep at you (the sprayed ones that is) . I had to spray a few sensors when I was spraying parts of my Q. I started the car to see how the sensors behaved and the ones with dip were freaking out because they were detecting at close range. To remove the dip I used a toothpick and gently rubbed the dip on the sensor until I could pull it off. No big deal. I definitely wouldn't bother taping off a sensor to avoid spraying it. Simply spray the entire area you had in mind and once it's dry, take it off the sensor.
vblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
PJQ5S
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 164336
 
PJQ5S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblick View Post
Yes, your sensors will still work, except they will ALWAYS beep at you (the sprayed ones that is) . I had to spray a few sensors when I was spraying parts of my Q. I started the car to see how the sensors behaved and the ones with dip were freaking out because they were detecting at close range. To remove the dip I used a toothpick and gently rubbed the dip on the sensor until I could pull it off. No big deal. I definitely wouldn't bother taping off a sensor to avoid spraying it. Simply spray the entire area you had in mind and once it's dry, take it off the sensor.
Thanks, vblick, for the first "constructive" comment to my post - appreciate it! Sounds like spraying the sensors might pose an issue :/

To the naysayers - I know this forum is full of opinions (as is the case with all forums, blogs, and other forms of social media), but I asked a question for which I was simply seeking an answer. I was not asking for your opinions. Just as everyone else here (yourselves included) has the right to do what they want with their money and the vehicles they purchase with it, so do I. In the future, unless you have something constructive to add to any thread I might post, please keep your opinions to yourselves.

Thanks!
__________________
"The Beatles were so high, they let RINGO sing a couple of tunes..." - Bill Hicks
PJQ5S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
JBDinTX
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 168544
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gainesville,TX Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 752
Default

DUDE!!! Lighten up!! I have been around these forums a long time. You gotta learn to take a joke. I don't care what you do to you car. It's yours, you pay for it. I am glad you found your answer!!!
JBDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
spijun
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 184703
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 1,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDinTX View Post
Sir, put the spray can down and step back from the vehicle!!! Lol. I don't see why people buy $$$$ cars and spray paint them. lol.
Different people like different things:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...sti-Dip&page=2
or
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Black-Rep-Ride
__________________
Q5 2.0 TFSI,S-tronic,
Milano leather, B&O, 19" 5-arm polished

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Q5 TDI
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269542
 
Q5 TDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The corrupt state of Illinois
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJQ5S View Post
In the future, unless you have something constructive to add to any thread I might post, please keep your opinions to yourselves.
LOL obviously someone is pretty full of himself. Don't worry, I won't help you with ANY of your posts with your crappy attitude.
__________________
2014 Q5 TDI Quattro Phantom Black/Black
2011 A3 TDI Ibis White/Black
Q5 TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts