Register Forgot Password?

Notices

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Kaitlyn2004
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 261610

Default Help! Scared for winter ski season...

I'm so excited to start skiing this year (well, snowboarding) but with a brand new, much nicer car than my older accord... I'm scared of the parking lot! The lot is busiest enough as is that it's hard to find a spot. Certainly don't have the luxury of picking a great spot, and likely even parking at the very end will have cars in/out by the time the day rolls on...

Even worse, it's the type of situation where multiple doors are going to be opened and likely opened wider than usual. Prime to hit next-door cars!

I know at the end of the day a car is a car, but I certainly don't want a scratch in year 1 put on by someone else! Anything you can do in these types of parking lots?
Kaitlyn2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
JBDinTX
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 168544

Ride with a friend. Lol. I always park out as far as possible. Try parking between a snow bank and a car maybe parking as close to the pile of snow as possible. I always look for that parking spot that looks just right. The few times I haul my 84 year old grandmother around to doctors,etc. I love her handicap parking permit. When I had my S5 it took her about 5 min just to get out of it because it was so low. She loves my SQ5 easy in and out she days.
JBDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Coolieman1220
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 167682

From all the ski resorts i go to, upstate NY, Vermont, I've found that the parking situation is not bad. On busy days, they have people helping you park, showing you where to park, guiding you to a spot and i've noticed they keep good space between cars because they know, you need space to gear up and such. I wouldn't worry about it, you bought it to drive and enjoy.

On a side note, One year, I left my skis and my brothers skis leaning up against the side of our RX350 at the time. The tips were touching the rear 3/4 glass. A strong wind blew and the skis fell over, scratching up the whole side of the lexus. It was at the end of a long day of skiing. Buffing that out was fun.

09' Audi Q5 3.2 Premium + (Lease Return) 12' Audi Q5 2.0t Premium + 14' Audi Q5 TDi S-Line
09' Ducati Mosnter 696 (Upgraded to) 12' Ducati Monster 796
2013 BMW S1000rr
2010 BMW 335d
2010 VW Jetta TDI

Coolieman1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
spijun
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 184703

Park your car in the hotel garage and then to ski slopes use public transport

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Q5 TDI
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269542

Increase your odds of not getting gouged in the parking lot:
  • Park on an end spot if possible, that way you only need worry about one side of your Q.
  • Park next to a van if possible siding rear doors are no worry, because they don't open out, which leaves a single front door to take some paint.
  • Park next to the passenger side if possible, you know there will be a driver, their may not be a passenger, meaning that door might not even open.
  • If it's not a van, always choose parking next to a four door car over a two door car - sedans have shorter doors, coupes have much longer doors needing more room to fully open.
  • I'll park in a far lot and walk before I park next to a coupe.

Hope this helps.
Q5 TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
josedebardi
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 260351

Default Break out the safety park!

I either go for an end space, or do this...
Click the image to open in full size.
(I took this pic as a buddy saw my car and parked his Datsun in front of it for me to discover on my return!)

I used to just park away from everyone else, but it seems people are attracted to loan vehicles in the lot and feel the need to park next to you - maybe they think you are lonely! So I just do the above now.
I figure there are infinitely less people going to 'key' it because you parked like a jerk compared to the numerous morons that can't keep their door under control when opening...

In 2 years of doing this I have had only one parking attendant have a moan, I told him I'd personally send him the bill for any dents if I park in one WAY too narrow space and he actually sympathised and agreed they should just make all the spaces a bit wider to avoid the problem!
Adaptive headlights, Advanced key, Audi drive select, Audi hill-hold assist, Audi Parking System Advanced, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, Black roof rails, Climate cup holder, Deletion of TDI technology designation at rear (keeping SQ5 and V6 T on wings and added extra T), Door mirrors elec adjustable/folding/heated/auto-dimming with memory function, Dynamic steering, Electrically-adjustable front seats with memory function, Heated front and outer rear seats, High-beam assist, MMI navigation plus, Mobile telephone preparation High with Audi connect, Audi side assist and Audi active lane assist, Power-operated tailgate, Privacy glass, DAB digital radio, Side window blinds manual, Towing equipment, Rear bench seat plus, Rear side airbags, Removable net partition, Retractable and extendable sun visor, 3-spoke multi-function flat bottomed steering wheel with gear-shift paddles, Storage package, Tyre pressure loss indicator, Underfloor storage tray in boot

josedebardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Q5 Bob
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 247171

One strategy would be to be careful but not treat the Q5 as a museum piece and hope for the best. That first nick will come eventually. Good luck to you.
Q5 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
soonerfan
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 88945

Some folks used to buy "beaters"......older, unattractive but mechanically sound vehicles for driving up to the slopes and through the worst part of the Winter, parking their nice, newer vehicles and saving them from the vagaries of Winter. Just a thought.....

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 Q5 P+ 2.0TFSI
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 AM   #9
AudiQ5sleeper
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 235141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004 View Post
I'm so excited to start skiing this year (well, snowboarding) but with a brand new, much nicer car than my older accord... I'm scared of the parking lot! The lot is busiest enough as is that it's hard to find a spot. Certainly don't have the luxury of picking a great spot, and likely even parking at the very end will have cars in/out by the time the day rolls on...

Even worse, it's the type of situation where multiple doors are going to be opened and likely opened wider than usual. Prime to hit next-door cars!

I know at the end of the day a car is a car, but I certainly don't want a scratch in year 1 put on by someone else! Anything you can do in these types of parking lots?
a car is a car, there is no way to avoid these A-holes in parking lots. dents scratches are bound to happen.
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16 AM   #10
normp
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 248428

Hey, it's already January, quite worrying and get out there!

Parking in a ski resort is a bit of a challenge, but usually the spots are not clearly delineated due to the snow and all. Unlike what someone else said, I always try to park next to another car on that cars drivers side, but I leave enough room for that driver to open their door and not hit me and take my chances on the other side.
normp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement