Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - Present

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Vijay
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,655
Default Who is running 265/35/20 tires? Any issues?

As the title says. Any issues with fender rubbing, etc. Looks like there should be enough room.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Delurker
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 256103
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 119
Default

Plenty of room in there for 265's.
Delurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Richard Solomon
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 525
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post
Any issues with fender rubbing, etc.
I assume that under "etc" you're ok with reading 1% slow on the speedo, throwing off the Nav, and whatever else comes from an off-sized tire?
__________________
Richard
'01 A6 2.7TQM
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -Corky Bell
Richard Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
gatorguy7
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 259810
 
gatorguy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Solomon View Post
I assume that under "etc" you're ok with reading 1% slow on the speedo, throwing off the Nav, and whatever else comes from an off-sized tire?
What do larger tires do to the navigation?
gatorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Richard Solomon
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 525
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorguy7 View Post
What do larger tires do to the navigation?
Well to be fair I am a decade out of date, but the RNS-D for instance wants to know tire size for the "inertial" navigation - e.g. in a tunnel, other lost GPS lock times. It's not inertial of course, but it counts pulses from the wheel sensors to know how far you'd travelled. Running "wrong" sized tires would lead to some occasional oddities when approaching intersections (like "turn right ahead" when you were halfway through the intersection), noticeably longer "re-lock" times when returning to coverage areas, and less reliable startup directions. Admittedly one had to know what one was looking at to separate these from random GPS issues, but those of us who were doing the first US RNS-D installs were looking really closely at what was going on

I'm just now coming up to speed on MMI Touch, so I honestly have no idea if it matters to the C7 cars - but I do note Audi picked a pretty oddball 19" tire size (255/40-19) to match up to the 255/35-20 size they used on the 20" wheels. I tend to believe they did that to avoid more than just the slight speedo inaccuracy alone.

YMMV and all that, but my personal advice would be to stick with the stock size. As noted in my UHP A/S tire thread, I ordered 20" wheels on my car solely to keep a more common tire size, so FWIW I'm putting my money where my mouth is on this one
__________________
Richard
'01 A6 2.7TQM
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -Corky Bell
Richard Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
Vijay
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Solomon View Post
Well to be fair I am a decade out of date, but the RNS-D for instance wants to know tire size for the "inertial" navigation - e.g. in a tunnel, other lost GPS lock times. It's not inertial of course, but it counts pulses from the wheel sensors to know how far you'd travelled. Running "wrong" sized tires would lead to some occasional oddities when approaching intersections (like "turn right ahead" when you were halfway through the intersection), noticeably longer "re-lock" times when returning to coverage areas, and less reliable startup directions. Admittedly one had to know what one was looking at to separate these from random GPS issues, but those of us who were doing the first US RNS-D installs were looking really closely at what was going on

I'm just now coming up to speed on MMI Touch, so I honestly have no idea if it matters to the C7 cars - but I do note Audi picked a pretty oddball 19" tire size (255/40-19) to match up to the 255/35-20 size they used on the 20" wheels. I tend to believe they did that to avoid more than just the slight speedo inaccuracy alone.

YMMV and all that, but my personal advice would be to stick with the stock size. As noted in my UHP A/S tire thread, I ordered 20" wheels on my car solely to keep a more common tire size, so FWIW I'm putting my money where my mouth is on this one
A 265/35/20 tire will only add 7mm overall diameter to the wheel/tire combo. Your tire diameter can change this much over time with treadwear alone. You really have to go with over 3% before you start to really notice any functional difference. A 7mm difference on a new tire is a 1% change. I am not worried one bit about the functionality, just the fit. FWIW, I ran 275/30/19 on my RS4 which was a 2% change (13.5mm smaller diameter) and I had no issue. Likewise from my experience with my M3 and the info on the M3 forums. No issue whatsoever with small variations in tire diameter sizing in terms of function.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

Last edited by Vijay; 01-01-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
///M Traitor
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 251639
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post
A 265/35/20 tire will only add 7mm overall diameter to the wheel/tire combo. Your tire diameter can change this much over time with treadwear alone. You really have to go with over 3% before you start to really notice any functional difference. A 7mm difference on a new tire is a 1% change. I am not worried one bit about the functionality, just the fit. FWIW, I ran 275/30/19 on my RS4 which was a 2% change (13.5mm smaller diameter) and I had no issue. Likewise from my expereince with my M3 and the info on the M3 forums. No issue whatsoever with small variations in tire diameter sizing in terms of function.
No problem with the fit for sure. I'm running 15mm spacers on the stock wheels and there is no issue with rubbing at all. Plus, even without the spacers, there is tons of room on the inside as well.
///M Traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Richard Solomon
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 525
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post
A 265/35/20 tire will only add 7mm overall diameter to the wheel/tire combo. Your tire diameter can change this much over time with treadwear alone. You really have to go with over 3% before you start to really notice any functional difference. A 7mm difference on a new tire is a 1% change. I am not worried one bit about the functionality, just the fit.
Fair enough - I mostly wanted to make sure you'd been thinking about this, which it sounds like you have.

I confess to being mildly curious as to why you'd want to go ~4% wider on the tire though.
__________________
Richard
'01 A6 2.7TQM
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -Corky Bell
Richard Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
RobC
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 199
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 2,696
Default

I'm running 265/35 on a 20x9 ET25 rim, which pushes the wheel 26mm outwards compared to stock. In roughly 13K miles I've rubbed twice and it was in the same turn on a big bump on the outside front wheel while the suspension was loaded. If your offset is less aggressive then you should have zero issues with rubbing.

For reference, this is with a Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
__________________
Robert Cheng
2014 Q5 TDI, Phantom Black, S-Line, B&O, Nav, Side Assist
2013 S6, Estoril Blue, B&O, LED, cold weather, comfort seats, rear shade, BBS CH-R 20x9 ET25, Stasis 25.4mm RSB
2010 S4, 6-spd, Meteor Gray, Prestige, Sport Diff, Strat shifter, H&R Rear Sway -- SOLD
2000 S4, 6-spd, Brilliant Black, Stg3 & other goodies -- SOLD

OEM Audi Wheel Page

RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
Vijay
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Solomon View Post
Fair enough - I mostly wanted to make sure you'd been thinking about this, which it sounds like you have.

I confess to being mildly curious as to why you'd want to go ~4% wider on the tire though.
You lose nothing and more grip is more grip. For a car the size of the S6, I think a 255 is a little undersized. The S7 does, in fact, does use a 265/35/20. Not sure why they went with 255 on the S6. In fact, So far as I remember, the C6 S6 used a 265 tire as well. It also adds just a little more of an air cushion.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

Last edited by Vijay; 01-01-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts