A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 A6 3.0 Cylinder 4, 5, and 6 Misfire Help??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 A6 3.0 Cylinder 4, 5, and 6 Misfire Help??

Hello everyone, I am looking for some help with my 2002 Audi A6 3.0. After 10 years of ownership, I am about ready to just sell it once I get this issue fixed. It's ALWAYS something. Just for a recent background, here are the recently worked on items. The radiator blew and was replaced about a month ago. 2 weeks ago, the battery died and I replaced that. About a week ago, my daughter drove the car (its her daily driver) about an hour away, and told me that everytime she stopped the car, the check engine light would come on and the car would start vibrating/shaking. I got the car home, and had the codes read with one of the basic Autozone scanners. The codes are the multiple misfire (300) and 304-306 (misfire 4-6). I went ahead and swapped out the plugs, and everything is still the same. I am not an Audi mechanic (by no means), but I do have 19 years (and counting) experience as a missile technician on submarines in the Navy; so I can fumble through a lot with a little guidance.
After researching similar threads online, many mention the Ignition Control Modules, Coils (of course), Cam Sensors, and vacuum/air leaks. I believe the 2002 3.0 ignition control modules are part of the coils (because I cant find them anywhere!) So, about 10 minutes ago, I took coils 1, 2, and 3, and swapped them with 4, 5, 6. I am going to go get the codes read again, and that should eliminate the coils and ICM all together. I am not very optimistic that the misfire is going to shift (that would of course be too easy).
If it does not, my next step is to buy a cam sensor and just start swapping. Which one should I do first?? It looks like there are 2 of them on each side (top/backside of engine).
Requesting and feedback or assistance anyone can provide.
Thank in advance,
David
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I had the codes read again. The misfire did not shift over. Its still misfiring on 4, 5, and 6; BUT, now there is a new code.

P0348 Camshaft Position Sensor intake circuit bank 2.

I went ahead and bought the sensor. Which one is it??

Thanks,

David
Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by subguy38
So I had the codes read again. The misfire did not shift over. Its still misfiring on 4, 5, and 6; BUT, now there is a new code.

P0348 Camshaft Position Sensor intake circuit bank 2.

I went ahead and bought the sensor. Which one is it??

Thanks,

David
I swapped out the sensor (one at a time) on the drivers side. No joy.

On another note, I noticed another symptom that I forgot to mention before. I am not even sure what the part is, but on the rear of the engine, at the top, just right of centerline, is a round piece. It sounds as if air is spewing out of it, but its actually air being sucked into it. Its a rather loud "pissing air" noise. Maybe its normal, but I don't believe I have ever heard it before. It was doing it earlier as well, I just forgot to mention it. I will attach a picture (if I figure out how) that shows where the noise is coming from.

Thanks,

David
Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to watch this
Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I believe that may be the winner!! When it first started happening, you could barely here the air blowing by. But today, after I got the codes read again, the sound suddenly became a lot louder. I went ahead a pulled the crankcase vent out and plugged it up with a screwdriver handle. And VOILA! The check engine light is no longer flashing at me.

Thanks for your help. I went ahead and ordered the part.

I see many, many people on here that have a similar issue, and sometimes the post just ends without resolution. If you are having this issue, definitely check the valve as the video shows. As I mentioned above, when it first started, you could not hear it at all.

Thanks again!

David
Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one on ebay if you're not in a rush to get it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221247499234

I bought from them before, it has Audi logo with the correct part number on it but came from VAG China I believe.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You Sir are very welcome!

Originally Posted by subguy38
I believe that may be the winner!! When it first started happening, you could barely here the air blowing by. But today, after I got the codes read again, the sound suddenly became a lot louder. I went ahead a pulled the crankcase vent out and plugged it up with a screwdriver handle. And VOILA! The check engine light is no longer flashing at me.

Thanks for your help. I went ahead and ordered the part.

I see many, many people on here that have a similar issue, and sometimes the post just ends without resolution. If you are having this issue, definitely check the valve as the video shows. As I mentioned above, when it first started, you could not hear it at all.

Thanks again!

David
Six words and a You Tube clip remedy....Bam!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Metronet
There is one on ebay if you're not in a rush to get it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221247499234

I bought from them before, it has Audi logo with the correct part number on it but came from VAG China I believe.
Wow!
That is a super great price considering the stealership wants $180..f-n thieves!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jcman
Wow!
That is a super great price considering the stealership wants $180..f-n thieves!
No kidding! I saw them for around 150 first, and then found the 40 dollar ones. Thanks again for your help. Should have the part any day now. Well, at least I have new plugs now; and about 2 hours of wasted labor swapping coils around. lol
Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep for 40 bucks even if its made in China "like everything else" it should last at least a few years, hell that price is cheaper than a oil, oil filter and air filter change.

Ironically I might be changing mine also, I've been getting a waving idle or high idle at times with a short interval misfire the past week and no codes, I've heard the hissing one time in my garage then shut her down only to hear nothing at a restart.

Good luck with your repair and think about all the cha ching saved.

Quick Reply: 2002 A6 3.0 Cylinder 4, 5, and 6 Misfire Help??