Go Back   AudiWorld Forums » Audi Models » Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 » A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to AudiWorld!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join AudiWorld.com today!


Notices

A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Discussion Forums:
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Omeletpants
AudiWorld Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 756
Default Google and Audi partnering for on board Android

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576...board-android/
Omeletpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
gatorguy7
AudiWorld Senior Member
2013 Audi S6
 
gatorguy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 647
Default

This is years too late in the making.
gatorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
gronk
Audiworld Junior Member
2012 Audi A6
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Falls Church
Posts: 98
Default

It will use car's built in hardware...anyone think this is going to be a really bad idea? Why can't these cars just mirror what's on my phone...
gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
in2dwww
Banned
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 433
Default

What's next? Built-in ads for Cracker Barrel and Starbucks every time you drive down the interstate? No thanks.

I'd rather have lidar jammers and integrated dash cams.
in2dwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
DBV
Audiworld Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28
Default

Too bad it is Android. Apple would be the premium product.
DBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
AudiA4B6US
AudiWorld Senior Member
2012 Audi A6
 
AudiA4B6US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,690
Default

Well, the two would certainly play nicely together. Audi doesn't like to provide software updates to customers the same way as Google doesn't care to do that.

One may think about Apple what they want but it's a secure platform that keeps customers up-to-date for at least 3 years after the purchase of a device. Apple's iOS eyes free is a threat to any established OEM provider because it makes them redundant. Who needs Navteq (a.k.a Nokia a.k.a Microsoft) if the iOS device is screen mirroring Apple or Google Maps? Why pay Delphi or Harman or Bosch for development of a closed system if you can get a "open" system for free.

The Audi AMI was a good idea 10 years ago but these days BT A2DP can do almost everything the AMI can do. No more need for a closed system with expensive cable adapters. Updating map data from DVD or SD-card? That's so last century in a world where everything is connected.

That being said, I don't think that Audi will not support Apple's iOS eyes free if BMW and Mercedes are doing it. Out of the 3 Germans, BMW seems to be more innovative that Audi right now and Audi has to catch up. Using Android will likely help to develop new features faster which is a good thing as long as the don't alienate their iOS customers.

And I sure hope that I will never have to use a touch screen in a car:-)
__________________
2012 A6 3.0T Prestige, Aviator Blue, Innovation, 18" Sport, Cold Weather, Black Headliner, 20" S6 Wheels
2005 VW Jetta GL 2.0, Galactic Blue
2004 A4 3.0 Avant Ultra Sport, Moro Blue, Premium, Infotainment, Cold Weather, 2010 RNS-E with AMI and Tune2Air Bluetooth, Dice and Sirius
AudiA4B6US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
irenesbob
AudiWorld Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dwww View Post
What's next? Built-in ads for Cracker Barrel and Starbucks every time you drive down the interstate? No thanks.
+1
irenesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
dwboston
Audiworld Junior Member
2012 Audi A6
My Garage
 
dwboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US View Post
Well, the two would certainly play nicely together. Audi doesn't like to provide software updates to customers the same way as Google doesn't care to do that.

One may think about Apple what they want but it's a secure platform that keeps customers up-to-date for at least 3 years after the purchase of a device. Apple's iOS eyes free is a threat to any established OEM provider because it makes them redundant. Who needs Navteq (a.k.a Nokia a.k.a Microsoft) if the iOS device is screen mirroring Apple or Google Maps? Why pay Delphi or Harman or Bosch for development of a closed system if you can get a "open" system for free.

The Audi AMI was a good idea 10 years ago but these days BT A2DP can do almost everything the AMI can do. No more need for a closed system with expensive cable adapters. Updating map data from DVD or SD-card? That's so last century in a world where everything is connected.

That being said, I don't think that Audi will not support Apple's iOS eyes free if BMW and Mercedes are doing it. Out of the 3 Germans, BMW seems to be more innovative that Audi right now and Audi has to catch up. Using Android will likely help to develop new features faster which is a good thing as long as the don't alienate their iOS customers.

And I sure hope that I will never have to use a touch screen in a car:-)
Google doesn't like to provide updates? Google updates Android quite frequently - it's the carriers that refuse to provide timely updates to their devices. If you have a Nexus phone or tablet, or a Google Play Edition phone or tablet, then you will see updates quickly after a new Android version is announced. And Google Maps is the gold standard for mobile maps, Apple's Map functionality is a joke in comparison.

I'd love to see Audi and Google partner on this, especially if Google is able to update functionality independently of Audi via OTA updates.
__________________
2012 A6 Prestige w/ Innovation package, Moonlight Blue w/Black Interior
dwboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Maverick61
AudiWorld Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 360
Default

Kudos for Audi for not buying into the Apple crap

Apple is overpriced, proprietary garbage IMO. Android is much more open in terms of devices, etc, and much more cost effective.

And the Apple iOS in the car - yea, that only works if you own an Apple IOS device. Just another way for Apple to try to sell you their overpriced hardware
__________________
2013 A6 3.0t Premium Plus, Garnet Red / Black / Black Headliner, 19" Sport, Side Assist, Cold Weather package

Upgrades:

* X-Pel Ultimate extended hood / fenders (approx 24"), full front bumper, headlights, mirrors and rear bumper trunk loading area
* S6 sport pedals
* DLS OA10D Subwoofer, JL XD 600/6 amp, Audio Control LCQ-1 OEM integration, six channel signal processor and equalizer, fully dynamatted rear deck where the sub is mounted
* Cocomats
* 19" Avant Garde Wheels with Pirelli All Season Tires
* For winter - 18" Elbrus I02 wheels with Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires
* Llumar Air Blue 80 Tint

* Washed with IronX Snow Soap or Chemical Guys Clear Citrus via a foaming lance
* Detailed with CQuartz, Reload, PERL, Ultima Tire & Trim Guard



Maverick61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
PJRed2008
AudiWorld Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
PJRed2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
Google doesn't like to provide updates? Google updates Android quite frequently - it's the carriers that refuse to provide timely updates to their devices. If you have a Nexus phone or tablet, or a Google Play Edition phone or tablet, then you will see updates quickly after a new Android version is announced. And Google Maps is the gold standard for mobile maps, Apple's Map functionality is a joke in comparison.

I'd love to see Audi and Google partner on this, especially if Google is able to update functionality independently of Audi via OTA updates.
I totally agree, but with the bitching now about how much T-Mob 3G service costs, I'd hate to see comments if everything was cloud based and you had to pay for data. Good luck with that.
__________________
2012 A6 Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black 3.0T Quattro, 18" Sport Package, Side Assist, Full LEDs
2008 A6, Blk/Blk 3.2 Quattro (Sold)
PJRed2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Discussion Forums:


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts