Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - Present

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Vijay
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,653
Default Would you put premium forged wheels on a daily driver?

So I am using the stock wheels on my S6 with winter tires. For summer, I am looking at the VMR 708, which is essentially an RS4 wheel replica. They look decent and for $300 each are a tremendous value. On the other hand, being the enthusiast that I am, I am also considering the HRE P43SC. This is an absolutely gorgeous wheel but the cost would be $1800 each. My S6 is a daily driver and although I am always careful, there is certainly a higher risk of wheel damage. Cost is not an issue, but value is. So that leaves me with two questions:

1. Is the HRE worth 6 times the cost of the VMR?

2. Would you put HRE wheels on your daily driver?

Opinions wanted. Thanks.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
S6Express
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 259431
 
S6Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 215
Default

I was in your same exact position. I was (still am) in love with the HRE P47 for the S6 and was having a hard time coming to grips with the $7700 cost. Also like you, money was not the main issue. Value and conscience were. I chose the VMRs knowing that if I changed my mind I could always sell them with little cost of ownership. At $1350 shipped the difference is huge over the HREs. The forged wheels would have been a lot lighter and fancier looking, but not worth 5-6 times as much. I used to have HRE P40s on my former E60 M5 and they were spectacular, but a lot cheaper back then. I'll post some pics of my wheels next week.
__________________
2013 S6
Ibis White / Black Int / Innovation / Bang & Olufsen / LED Headlights / Carbon Inlays / Black Headliner / Sunshades / 20" Wheels / Cold Weather
Mods:
VMR V708 Wheels 20 x 9 / RS7 Rear Diffuser & Oval Exhaust Tips / Bigger Rear Spoiler / Dead Pedal S6 Badge / Black Wrap on Grey Grille Slats / Gloss Black Wrapped Grille Edge / Gloss Black Wrapped Window Trim / K&N Drop In / Passport 9500ix Hardwired with Remote SmartCord / VAG COM Mods / 35% Tint
S6Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Dr Chill
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 116956
 
Dr Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 316
Default

If cost is not an issue then HRE's win 100% of the time. Cost is ALWAYS an issue.
__________________

2012 Audi S4 Monsoon Gray (Son)
2014 Audi S6 Estoril Blue (Wife)
2012 MB C63 Coupe (My temporary fling)
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
Vijay
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Express View Post
I was in your same exact position. I was (still am) in love with the HRE P47 for the S6 and was having a hard time coming to grips with the $7700 cost. Also like you, money was not the main issue. Value and conscience were. I chose the VMRs knowing that if I changed my mind I could always sell them with little cost of ownership. At $1350 shipped the difference is huge over the HREs. The forged wheels would have been a lot lighter and fancier looking, but not worth 5-6 times as much. I used to have HRE P40s on my former E60 M5 and they were spectacular, but a lot cheaper back then. I'll post some pics of my wheels next week.
I had P40s on my B7 RS4. They were just about half the price.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #5
Vijay
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 561
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Chill View Post
If cost is not an issue then HRE's win 100% of the time. Cost is ALWAYS an issue.
There is cost in the absolute sense, which is not an issue for me. Cost in a relative sense is always a consideration for me. Just like the fact that that an S7 offers nothing, IMO, to make it worth $9k more than an S6.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
Dr Chill
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 116956
 
Dr Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 316
Default

I'm not questioning whether you can afford $7000 wheels, only your statement that cost is not an issue, because if you were were worth $1 billion dollars, you wouldn't be looking at VMR wheels. Cost IS an issue. That being said, I don't get the best opinion of VMR finish and quality from all the feedback available online. Have you considered other brands like Niche or Hartman. I am very impressed by their quality firsthand. The Ace Alloy rims on our S6 are also very nice for what they cost.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20131224_062907.jpg (20.0 KB, 169 views)
__________________

2012 Audi S4 Monsoon Gray (Son)
2014 Audi S6 Estoril Blue (Wife)
2012 MB C63 Coupe (My temporary fling)

Last edited by Dr Chill; 12-25-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
DrCondor
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 107169
 
DrCondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,223
Default

I would do some due diligence on whether those wheels are suitable for your driving locale and for a 4200+ pound car. As can be seen to the left, I went with an affordable and fairly sturdy compromise for summer wheels, given that I live in Central New York...the stockers are now shod with LM-60s for the winter. The wheel finish seems to assume a very slight blue cast on Estoril Blue, which I also like, along with reduced observable break dust.
__________________

Brake dust compromise installed

2000 Nogaro Blue S4 = 104,485 miles
2004 Nogaro Blue S4 = 75,000 miles
2007 Daytona Grey RS4, CF trim, no sunroof or nav, and no damn "V8" badges...
sold and sorely missed on 8/10/13 and at 110,877 miles
2013 Estoril Blue S6..."Torque tells the Truth"
DrCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
RettlerT
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 241382
 
RettlerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 94
Default

Go with the HREs. It's an $80K car and deserves them. The satisfaction with high quality remains long after the price is forgotten.
RettlerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Richard Solomon
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 525
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post
1. Is the HRE worth 6 times the cost of the VMR?
2. Would you put HRE wheels on your daily driver?
#1 probably not, but so what? Is an S6 "worth" >2x the cost of a Legacy Turbo?
#2 if I were you, hell yes. If you like them that much, then put them on and enjoy them every day. If the S6 is a daily driver, why not wheels for it?

Related to #2 - I was considering starting a thread on wheel/tire warranties. My dealer claims the one they sell doesn't care what wheels or tires are on the car.... if it's like the Audi one though, there's a total reimbursement cap. Have you considered something like that to offset the wheel damage issues?
__________________
Richard
'01 A6 2.7TQM
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -Corky Bell
Richard Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
MHSFBay
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 191757
 
MHSFBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: East SF Bay Area
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post
So I am using the stock wheels on my S6 with winter tires. For summer, I am looking at the VMR 708, which is essentially an RS4 wheel replica. They look decent and for $300 each are a tremendous value. On the other hand, being the enthusiast that I am, I am also considering the HRE P43SC. This is an absolutely gorgeous wheel but the cost would be $1800 each. My S6 is a daily driver and although I am always careful, there is certainly a higher risk of wheel damage. Cost is not an issue, but value is. So that leaves me with two questions:

1. Is the HRE worth 6 times the cost of the VMR?

2. Would you put HRE wheels on your daily driver?

Opinions wanted. Thanks.
ALSO--

HRE pays HUGE bucks in order to be certified by the major quality and safety agencies-- this costs a fortune and takes a long time-- the other mfrs do not. This translates into legitimate safe wheels with quality.
They do have other models that are less costly.

If you can afford it at least one of your tire-sets should be HRE OR comparable
MHSFBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts