Notices

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Old 12-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
ted_audi
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 273179

Default Good buy or stay away?

I have been looking at a 2011 3.2 V6 Q5 Prestige with 93,000 miles. It is in very good condition on the interior and exterior and is a one owner. The asking price is $21,905 (it was a lot more but the dealer has been dropping the price every week on their website).

Is this Q5 a bad idea because of the miles, and should I anticipate lots of expensive repairs if I buy it or would this be a great way to get into my first Audi?
ted_audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Kris Hansen
Chief of Goat control
Account #: 20

Send a message via MSN to Kris Hansen

I tend to get more worried about age than outright miles. Cars that get used a lot tend to be well maintained. If it was neglected, it would be obvious. If the price is truly good, I see no reason to skip it on miles alone. If everything works, no leaks, etc..
Old 12-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
DennisMitchell
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 26005

If it was well maintained (Audi records?), the dealer service department can put in writing that nothing is wrong with it, and it drives nice, you might have a gem there.

Do you get any warranty from the dealer?

2011 A4 2.0T (Ice Silver,Gray interior,Nav,B&O)

2010 Q5 3.2 (Quartz Metallic,gray interior,Nav)- Traded in
2005 A6 3.2 P+ (lease end)
2001 A6 2.8 P+ (lease end)
DennisMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
ted_audi
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 273179

The Q5 is being sold by a non-Audi dealer (an auto group that sells several luxury brands, just not Audi, not some random used car place) that is offering a multi-point inspection, and a 30 Day / 2,000 mile 50/50 warranty. They also say that it could qualify for an extended service contract but I'm assuming that is just for services like oil changes and such and not a warranty.
ted_audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
koobah
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 149321

Might be a steal or a money pit, hard to say. It is a really good price, but keep in mind that the 3.2 is an outdated and discontinued engine and if you search, you'd might be able to get a similar deal on the same model year 2.0, which has better fuel economy and great tuning potential.
koobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
snagitseven
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Hansen View Post
I tend to get more worried about age than outright miles. Cars that get used a lot tend to be well maintained. If it was neglected, it would be obvious. If the price is truly good, I see no reason to skip it on miles alone. If everything works, no leaks, etc..
Kris, I think it's really tough to generalize on age vs. miles. For example, my wife's 12 year old 2002 allroad 2.7T has only 48K miles. She only drives it locally but frequently. We have religiously maintained it over the years, including a full timing belt/water pump service 3 years ago and it still looks and runs like brand new (our Audi dealer keeps trying to buy it). Now, in my case, I have the age AND the miles - my wife is considering selling me but if I were looking for a used, low priced spouse, I'd pass on me.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
johnowen
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 258007

Hi, I have owned German cars now for over 20 years.

They run great and look great for many years...They are fun to drive and seem to look brand new well past their prime.

BUT---They are expensive to keep that way. IMO---If I were going to buy a used German car I would only buy a certified Used car from a Audi Dealer.

Most certified cars have a better warranty then a New car.

Now if something goes wrong you won't have the big bucks to pay out of pocket.

Yes they may cost a little more but the peace of mind knowing they
have your back if something goes wrong is again IMO WELL WORTH IT!

ENJOY!
johnowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
AUDIIOS
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 241709

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_audi View Post
The Q5 is being sold by a non-Audi dealer (an auto group that sells several luxury brands, just not Audi, not some random used car place) that is offering a multi-point inspection, and a 30 Day / 2,000 mile 50/50 warranty. They also say that it could qualify for an extended service contract but I'm assuming that is just for services like oil changes and such and not a warranty.
You may be able to find out if this vehicle has had the carbon build-up issue that is "somewhat" common in this engine. If you have full service records, you'll be able to find out if the vehicle ever needed the service (as well as if it needs it now). I think there's now a less labor-intensive process than dropping the engine but it's still a few hundred dollars I think. Worth considering but not a reason to walk away necessarily. There are lots of threads on the issue here.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
jjandersonn
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 223239

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIIOS View Post
You may be able to find out if this vehicle has had the carbon build-up issue that is "somewhat" common in this engine. If you have full service records, you'll be able to find out if the vehicle ever needed the service (as well as if it needs it now). I think there's now a less labor-intensive process than dropping the engine but it's still a few hundred dollars I think. Worth considering but not a reason to walk away necessarily. There are lots of threads on the issue here.
That's the main issue that I would be concerned about with the 3.2L engine.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
snagitseven
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandersonn View Post
That's the main issue that I would be concerned about with the 3.2L engine.
The 3.0T engine has the same design (and possible concern) as the 3.2TFSI re the potential carbon buildup on the FSI secondary air ports located in the cylinders. Audi has extended the warranty to 100K miles for SAP carbon removal on most models with either engine (but only if the SAPs cause a CEL).

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement